Best Gloves for above alpine?

dog812

WKR
This fall i am doing a fly in sheep hunt northern BC.
Every year it seems i struggle with my glove choices. I always have a wall tent at the end of the day to dry out, but on this fly in hunt we will be hiking and just using ultralight shelters.
I want a glove that will hold up to the elements and dry out fast. A layering system , merino insert and a tough outer probably?

what do you guys recommend?

Last edited:

bcimport

WKR
3mm neoprene kayakers glove. No matter the weather cold or cold and wet these work, fit well and leave good dexterity. Once you accept that your hands are going to be wet at least they will be warm in these.

Stid2677

WKR
I have a bucket of expensive fancy gloves,, these cheap Chili Grips work about as good and are cheap. Get a couple pairs and swap out each day with dry ones, they are warm even when cold. I have a couple I have cut the trigger finger out of.

The trick is getting some that will keep you warm, but still allow some dexterity.

I have the Kuiu system, but the contact gloves are crap, did not last one hunt. The Guide gloves are nice, but get they get wet and are hard to dry. The Goretex over glove is warm and dry, but you can't use your hands.

The fleece orange fishing gloves will keep you warm and dry as well.

Those Chili Grips do Okay for Devils Club, but not as good as leather.

Clarktar

WKR
I have a few size large chilly grips in 3 different models. Brand new never used. I bought medium and large and medium fit brtter . PM if interested

JP100

WKR
Ive had a pair of the newer Kuiu Yukon pro gloves for a few months now, found them great in the cold,rain and snow, used them ice climbing all day aswell. Very water proof and even if they get wet on the inside they are still warm. Loose alot of dexterity as they are pretty thick but very comfortable and very warm with the primaoft inner.
Neoprene gloves are also bloody good for cold and wet. theres some called glacier gloves, they are pretty good aswell

Take-a-knee

Banned
Several pairs of nitrile exam gloves, for when it is REALLY cold and sweating up isn't so much of an issue. Two pairs of Smartwool liners and a pair of OR mittens.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for the new designed KUIU gloves....they are waterproof and held up well last November in Nwest Mt in a mix of rain and snow conditions throughout the month...when the temps do dip I use hot packs in them as my hands get cold easily but they performed very well in keeping my hands dry.

Stresd

FNG
Last hunt in the Tatshenshini I had the Yukon pro's. Excellent gloves that took a pounding on the river. Had an alaskan Jet ranger that didn't like to move in 1" of water with a lot of weight in er. (River delta on lake) Stood up to the rope chafing /raft pulling with no problems and then survived the pulling on branches as I dragged myself up through the thick stuff to get to the alpine. Always dry but not the warmest when getting into the freezing temps. Order the Northstars when I got home and with the little extra insulation they have I think they are the ticket on this years trip into the Tat. Really like the longer cuffs as well. Really nice allaround glove.

charvey9

WKR
Go to your local mountain bike store and check out waterproof options from companies like Endura, Showers Pass, and Gore. All make some pretty good choices, and I find these perfect for use while moving/hiking since they are dexterous enough to shoot, access your pack, etc. If you have to take your gloves off to get into your pack, they end up getting wet. Then you put wet hands back in dry gloves and they get wet from the inside out. No good. I like a good pair of waterproof dexterous gloves, and then a heavier set of gloves or mitts for sitting.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Been using Chilly Grips since 2009, just the standard blue ones. They looks like Atlas gloves but I find them much warmer. This year I started using these two models:
http://www.oregonglove.com/product/a323-chilly-grip-h2o/

And

http://www.oregonglove.com/product/a321-chilly-grip-h2o/

Plenty of dexterity for most things (even have shot mountain goats while wearing them), using a GPS (I don't have a touch screen GPS partly for this reason, and certainly for digging in the pack and pulling out the spotter and such.

Just much better than any goretex glove which gets soaked pretty quickly pushing wet alders and brush out of the way. Can even drop your gloves in the creek while wearing them to wash them off if bloody and such with no issue and plenty warm for me and obviously windproof.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Years of stupidity trapping, hunting and ice fishing in my youth have left me with hands that can go from fine to dangerous in minutes. Living in coastal BC now my issues are less frequent until I hit the hills. I bought some kuiu Yukon pros but have yet to try them outside my living room.

For me some rules....
1. Don't let your hands get cold
2. Don't let your hands get wet
3. When you start to loose the sensation of your pinky to your thumb touching - stop and get warm, which usually means a fire.
4. Always have extra gloves

I wear knit "nipple gloves" all the time which are cheap and fantastic till they get wet. Similarly my cabelas kangaroo leather bird gloves are great for all but real cold. Sucky for mounting hunting, however polar grip gloves (heavy usually orange vinyl lined) have been my go too ducking, crabbing and prawning...

I'm very interested in others learnings, such a variable issue always looking for solutions.

Very best,

Ian

P.S. Zippo hand warmers rock

This fall i am doing a fly in sheep hunt northern BC.
Every year it seems i struggle with my glove choices. I always have a wall tent at the end of the day to dry out, but on this fly in hunt we will be hiking and just using ultralight shelters.
I want a glove that will hold up to the elements and dry out fast. A layering system , merino insert and a tough outer probably?

what do you guys recommend?
For your fly-in sheep hunt, I recommend a layering system with a merino wool insert for warmth and moisture-wicking, paired with a tough, waterproof outer glove. This combination will hold up to the elements and dry quickly. Also, consider the Collaboration Gloves—they offer excellent durability and performance in rugged conditions. Don’t forget a backup pair to swap out if needed!