best general purpose STEEL shot-size for combo of big & small ducks?

3” #3’s over a modified choke. Mallards over decoys to pass shooting teals. Keep it consistent regardless of what you shoot and you’ll figure out leads/distance.

TheGDog

WKR
You'd want to be prepared for, the longest range shot you feel would be likely to happen.

You can always just load up with the beefier shot size, and then if a smaller species presents closer by.... you can do what I sometimes have to do like when shooting doves coming in to perch near my dekes, and that is try to aim more towards head/frt shoulder region specifically. So if you're rolling with Modified Choke, and the shot is a little too up-close-and-personal, it becomes more important to remember to try for headshot-ish placement to avoid too much shredding of the usable meat.

So if there's chance of larger harder to kill species, I'd say go for the bigger shot size just in case, no?

WCB

WKR
Not sure why guys thing a #4 is "too small" for geese. I shoot #4s all the time and see no issue with them. Most guys not killing geese isn't due to shot size it is due to shitty shooting plain and simple.

CorbLand

WKR
I like 4 shot for just ducks. Shoot 2 shot for geese and ducks. Throw in the BB when it is late season geese. Once I have shot through all my 4 shot, I will probably just buy 2 shot for everything.