Best footwear

I went on my first elk hunt last year in Colorado during third rifle season. Learned a lot from that hunt, especially having appropriate footwear.

I wore my Danner combat boots. Of all of the water I have been through in them, my feet have never gotten wet. Well while hiking through up to 3 feet of snow, my feet got soaked. This ended hunts early and made it miserable while still out hunting.

What footwear do you use while hiking through snow that keep your feet dry and are also comfortable?

You need to break down what your use-case is, eg a winter hunting boot is a different animal than early-to-mid season boots. The reality is you probably need two sets:

- one that is lighter in weight and has a breathable waterproof membrane (Gore-Tex or similar) for hiking around in everything up to a few inches of snow

- one that is insulated, waterproof, and probably has a higher ankle for when the snow hits (unless you wear gaiters)

I've yet to see a boot from any manufacturer that does everything in all environments, some are great for light and fast hiking, helping you cover large chunks of territory without being overly cumbersome, others come with more bulk because of the extra protection and insulation, slow things down, but will keep you hunting in craptastic weather and single digit temperatures.

wyogoat

WKR
I personally wear Lowa’s and use a light mountaineering style with good support and a stiff sole for steep terrain and the hopes of coming out heavy.
One item that always goes in with me is gaiters. That may have helped with some of the moisture getting through.

Last edited:

WPFY543

FNG
I second what northernalpine said. You are potentially asking a lot of a single boot. It depends how you hunt and where you hunt. For me, I find that GoreTex lined boots make my feet sweat with even moderate levels of activity so now my feet are wet from the inside out and cold. If I'm hunting from an ATV or truck and there is snow on the ground, I'm probably in a Sorel type boot while standing/sitting/glassing. Otherwise, I'm in a full leather boot with gaiters. Where this gets tricky is if you plan to get off the beaten path (which you likely aren't doing in 3 feet of snow). At that point, you do need to make some compromises which means an insulated leather or synthetic boot like a Crispi, Mendhal, Kennetrek, etc. Key here is having dry socks and doing whatever you can to dry your socks and boots at night. Keep in mind that boots and socks are highly personal so take whatever advice you are given here with a grain of salt. Keep trying new things in the offseason until you find something that works for you.

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for Crispi. I have the insulated Nevadas and just received the Wild Rock GTX Plus last week. Seal the boots with Sno-seal or similar product before season, whatever you get.

I run 3 boots based on conditions and different times of the year.
Early archery/fall or general warmer and semi dry conditions = Crispi Thor
Anytime and condition beyond late season/heavy snow = Lowa Tibet GTX
Late season/ heavy snow conditions = Schnee Granite 200g

If i only had to have one, I'd go with the Lowa Tibet, but find what is comfortable to you and don't skimp. Boots can make or break a hunt.

Marble

WKR
Often times, guys that get wet feet blame their boots. But it can be moisture coming in from the pants, socks etc. That's where good pants and gators come in.

It's been so long since any of my boots have leaked. I can't recall the situation. If you're experienced in avoiding getting your feet wet, you'll know to properly maintain boots (year round), wear gators when needed and have the right pants on.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
A gortex lined boot that’s about this weight has served me well through multiple pairs, in all conditions including deep snow. They are my go to winter snow shoeing boots. With snow wear gaiters. In the summer these are my go to backpacking boots.
6D7EA82F-2554-4D84-BDDE-6D139E92CDC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Seeknelk

WKR
I think the most important question is, were you wearing gaiters? I use uninsulated 8" boots(Crispi Nevada) year round. I just make sure to have good gaiters on wet or snowy hunts. I'm not one of those guys to wear them all the time tho, they sweat out my lower legs and socks way worse.

I normally wear Hoffman's . I have a pair of non insulated explorer's for anything above 20 degrees, a pair of 400g for under 20 degrees and a pair of Hoffman Mountaineer pacs if I'm going to be sitting on my ass for any length of time.

Often times, guys that get wet feet blame their boots. But it can be moisture coming in from the pants, socks etc. That's where good pants and gators come in.

It's been so long since any of my boots have leaked. I can't recall the situation. If you're experienced in avoiding getting your feet wet, you'll know to properly maintain boots (year round), wear gators when needed and have the right pants on.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Fair point!

king402

FNG
I've had really good success with keeping my feet dry in all conditions with Crispi Nevada's and leg gaiters.

I went on my first elk hunt last year in Colorado during third rifle season. Learned a lot from that hunt, especially having appropriate footwear.

I wore my Danner combat boots. Of all of the water I have been through in them, my feet have never gotten wet. Well while hiking through up to 3 feet of snow, my feet got soaked. This ended hunts early and made it miserable while still out hunting.

What footwear do you use while hiking through snow that keep your feet dry and are also comfortable?
I really like my Crispi boots. They do a great job in the snow and water.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kjelsson