Best fixed blade Broadhead for elk

Jls21601

FNG
Looking for suggestions for fixed blade broadheads for elk for a compound setup and a traditional setup (125 grain).

Mathews vertex 70# draw, 450 grain arrow at 275 fps.

Traditional longbow 50# and 500 grain arrow.

Looking at the G5 striker V2 for the compound setup and haven’t decided on the traditional. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Check out the Born and Raised YouTube channel. They are testing 40+ broadheads for sharpness, penetration, etc.. It is interesting to watch....
The new Day Six Evo is doing very well. Iron WIll as well......The Magnus are proven and lifetime warranty. Cutthroats are proven. you have so many options these days.....good luck...

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
With that light of an arrow I would pick a streamline two blade broadhead. Like a VPA or Silverflame.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
g5 striker v2 is a solid choice. Whenever you ask a broadhead question you'll get a lot of people telling you their broadhead of choice is the best. As far as the long bow I would pick a solid 2 blade (with or without bleeders) and run with it, I personally shoot kudu's out of the stick bow but I never kill anything with it so take that with a grain of salt.

KHNC

WKR
I have always been between 425-450 for years. Blown thru countless whitetail, 6 muleys and 4 elk, using various fixed blade broadheads. I am not really a fan of mechanicals, although i shot my bull last year with Grim Reaper fixed/mech combo head. Got a pass thru at 35 yds with 450gr arrow setup. I think 450 and 275-290 fps is a perfect combo in my experience. But i do see your point on heavy arrows too.

dkime

WKR
I don't see you having much of an issue with your compound setup as long as you have a durable head. I'm ignorant to the trad world still so I wont be any help there. The only question I have is you listed your finished arrow weights already. What gr head did you figure these with?

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I have only killed four elk with archery equipment, and two with a rifle.
I did not and won’t use a mechanical on animals that large.
If I were to hunt them again, I’d use Slick Trick, Magnus Stingers, Exodous, or Iron Will.

OP
J

Jls21601

FNG
I don't see you having much of an issue with your compound setup as long as you have a durable head. I'm ignorant to the trad world still so I wont be any help there. The only question I have is you listed your finished arrow weights already. What gr head did you figure these with?
Currently shooting blood sport justice arrows with a 125 grain tip. I’ve been considering a G5 striker or slick trick viper trick. Would love to go with an iron will but just don’t want to spend that kind of money on broadheads. Thanks

dkime

WKR
Currently shooting blood sport justice arrows with a 125 grain tip. I’ve been considering a G5 striker or slick trick viper trick. Would love to go with an iron will but just don’t want to spend that kind of money on broadheads. Thanks

Either of those heads would be just fine, buy which ever one you get a good deal on or whichever you think looks the coolest.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
you consider a 450gr arrow light?
I think he edited it but I swore it said roughly 350 which was the reason I made that comment. But to answer your question yes I still think 450 is light. That's me though, yes I do know elk have been killed with 450s all day every day. Knowing he is shooting 450 opens up a lot more broadheads.

Sjacskson

FNG
Looking for suggestions for fixed blade broadheads for elk for a compound setup and a traditional setup (125 grain).

Mathews vertex 70# draw, 450 grain arrow at 275 fps.

Traditional longbow 50# and 500 grain arrow.

Looking at the G5 striker V2 for the compound setup and haven’t decided on the traditional. Any suggestions?
Just bought 2 packs of the G5 striker v2’s. As far as replaceable blades they seem like a solid option.

Elkhntr08

WKR
So far I haven’t found anything I don’t like about Iron Will V100. I can also say the same thing about ViperTricks.

In my opinion you have enough weight and speed to run whatever head you want from your compound. I'd want the one that flys the best and you have the most confidence in. I think wackem are good at the price point. Same as Exodus, the swept blade seems to tune easier at speed than the full. Iron will are excellent heads, they are pricey but hold an edge very well. I would only get the solid version, I couldn't believe how loud the vented we're but that's just me. Slick trick is also a good compact broadhead, I have tuned them but never personally shot anything with them. I'm a fan of being able to walk into a store to buy what I need when I need it rather than waiting on it to show up. So that sometimes plays a factor for me.

Your recurve I would look for a small 2 blade cut on contact that has a long leading edge. I like helix for that. Lots of other options tho.