Best Eating Upland Bird Poll

Which one do you like best?

• Total voters

mdp22

FNG
Growing up in South Dakota my Dad would always say, "Try to get a grouse if you can, they're better than pheasant." I concur, my vote was for Sharptail Grouse. Still need to harvest a Blue Grouse to compare.

This is a great recipe for birds. We’ve done it with grouse, pheasant and chukar.

Schnitzel is always fan favorite at our house. You can also take the schnitzel pieces and make buffalo sandwiches.

We use chukar for stir fry and a variety of other recipes. The legs are great in a slow cooker for curries.

Attachments

• Curry for Chukar.pdf
    368.8 KB · Views: 4

Legend

WKR
What is a forest grouse?

You really can't group spruce, ruffed, and blues together. Spruce grouse misrepresent the group and are properly named.

OP
Irish Miner

Irish Miner

Lil-Rokslider
What is a forest grouse?

You really can't group spruce, ruffed, and blues together. Spruce grouse misrepresent the group and are properly named.
Point taken. I could have been more clear. It’s obvious I should have included a quail and other option too!

When the first cold of the year hits, and then you guys go start talking about food and posting recipes...all I want to do is cook and eat and get fat.
and quail hunt :)

The winner for me
Sza8qeP.jpg

KurtR

WKR
I shot two fat mallards this morning. How should I cook them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pluck the breast and cut them out with the fat on. Score the fat and salt and pepper heavy. Then in a cast iron over medium heat cook fat side down for 7 minutes and 3 minutes on the other side. If you like sauce a black berry reduction goes great with it. I use a couple table spoons of balsamic vinegar and some sugar and about 6 blackberrys. Slice the breast and drizzle the reduction on it. My kid prefers just the meat no sauce.

My wife cooked up the best upland bird I've ever had in my life this year - eyes rolling back in your head good. Sage grouse, no skin. Cooked in generous butter, a splash of red-wine vinegar, a couple tablespoons of black currant jam, two more of maple syrup, plus salt and pepper. It was the kind of dish that leaves you aching that it'll be a full year before you can do it again.

Not exactly upland but a Dove breast wrapped in bacon and a jalapeno, placed
on a skewer and grilled is pretty dang good.
Turkey aint bad neither.
Never had a chance at those on the list.
I like quail the same way but the entire bird, not just the breast meat. Delicious.