Best Day Ever!!! NM Oryx and Chiefs Super Bowl Win!!!

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
When I found out I drew the Rhodes Canyon broken horn Oryx tag I knew it was an experience I wanted to share with my daughter and dad. I figured this would be a good trip for her to tag along since she's only 7 and the hunt is not as physically demanding as most western big game hunts. She had never hunted anything other than deer and turkey here in Kansas but has been very successful at it and loves to get out in the field.

It was a long drive from Kansas, we left at 4pm Wed. when my daughter got out of school and arrived in Alamogordo around 2am Thurs. We spent the day Thursday sightseeing but the wind was blowing 50mph+. We tried to go sledding at the sand dunes and it was a disaster, the sand was blowing so hard it hurt to get out of the truck.

We arrived at the missile range at 9:30am on Friday for orientation. and was released to hunt around 12:30 we saw lots oryx right out of the gate but decided to get away from the chaos. We ended up getting on a nice broken horn late Friday afternoon but couldn't get closer than 500yrds. We saw several baldies and double broken horned animals but nothing I wanted to shoot on this first day.

Saturday we were able to start hunting at 6am and within the first hour we found a nice one we wanted to shoot but a failed stalk had us searching again. We came close several more times but couldn't get the right one to cooperate. We even had a heard of about 40 cross the road in front of us with multiple broken horns but they had no intentions of stopping. There were two newborn brownies in the herd that made the trip for my daughter. We finally got within 300 yards of one I wanted to shoot right at last light but just couldn't get a shot. The thought of tag soup was starting to cross my mind.

Sunday we started hunting at 6am again. Being from Kansas we are big Chiefs fans and was hoping we would get lucky and not have to miss part of the Super Bowl. As luck would have it we came across a nice broken horn bull around 7am all by himself and was able to get within 400yrds and make a good shot on him. I was on cloud nine and relieved for it to finally come together. We were done taking pictures and field dressing him by 9am and had time to go back and actually enjoy the sand dunes for a while. We ended Sunday at BWW and watched the Chiefs win the Super Bowl!!! One of the best days of my life so far!!!

Alamogordo is a very unique area and in the short 4 days we were we got to experience most of what it had to offer, from the hunting, to pistachios, and the White Sands National Park we squeezed it all in. Lot's of memories we will never forget.ORYX 5.jpg

Attachments

• ORYX 3.jpg
    ORYX 3.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 79
  • ORYX 1.jpg
    ORYX 1.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 81
  • ORYX 2.jpg
    ORYX 2.jpg
    340.3 KB · Views: 82
  • ORYX 6.jpg
    ORYX 6.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 66
  • ORYX 4.jpg
    ORYX 4.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 73
  • ORYX 7.jpg
    ORYX 7.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 66
OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
.300 WM with 185gr Berger Hybrid bullet, 400yrds off shooting sticks. First shot hit him behind the shoulder, a good shot for a whitetail but a bit too far back for an oryx. Shot two more times on the move that hit him back as well. He went about 200yrds before going dow. These things are tough animals.

Doghed

WKR
Nice! Congrats!
I got my second Oryx of 22 back in November on the Stallion range. So much fun. Definitely my favorite game meat.
When did you draw your Once-In-A-Lifetime?
Go Chiefs!

Blammo

FNG
When I found out I drew the Rhodes Canyon broken horn Oryx tag I knew it was an experience I wanted to share with my daughter and dad. I figured this would be a good trip for her to tag along since she's only 7 and the hunt is not as physically demanding as most western big game hunts. She had never hunted anything other than deer and turkey here in Kansas but has been very successful at it and loves to get out in the field.

It was a long drive from Kansas, we left at 4pm Wed. when my daughter got out of school and arrived in Alamogordo around 2am Thurs. We spent the day Thursday sightseeing but the wind was blowing 50mph+. We tried to go sledding at the sand dunes and it was a disaster, the sand was blowing so hard it hurt to get out of the truck.

We arrived at the missile range at 9:30am on Friday for orientation. and was released to hunt around 12:30 we saw lots oryx right out of the gate but decided to get away from the chaos. We ended up getting on a nice broken horn late Friday afternoon but couldn't get closer than 500yrds. We saw several baldies and double broken horned animals but nothing I wanted to shoot on this first day.

Saturday we were able to start hunting at 6am and within the first hour we found a nice one we wanted to shoot but a failed stalk had us searching again. We came close several more times but couldn't get the right one to cooperate. We even had a heard of about 40 cross the road in front of us with multiple broken horns but they had no intentions of stopping. There were two newborn brownies in the herd that made the trip for my daughter. We finally got within 300 yards of one I wanted to shoot right at last light but just couldn't get a shot. The thought of tag soup was starting to cross my mind.

Sunday we started hunting at 6am again. Being from Kansas we are big Chiefs fans and was hoping we would get lucky and not have to miss part of the Super Bowl. As luck would have it we came across a nice broken horn bull around 7am all by himself and was able to get within 400yrds and make a good shot on him. I was on cloud nine and relieved for it to finally come together. We were done taking pictures and field dressing him by 9am and had time to go back and actually enjoy the sand dunes for a while. We ended Sunday at BWW and watched the Chiefs win the Super Bowl!!! One of the best days of my life so far!!!

Alamogordo is a very unique area and in the short 4 days we were we got to experience most of what it had to offer, from the hunting, to pistachios, and the White Sands National Park we squeezed it all in. Lot's of memories we will never forget.View attachment 517404
Well Done!

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Congrats!
I got my second Oryx of 22 back in November on the Stallion range. So much fun. Definitely my favorite game meat.
When did you draw your Once-In-A-Lifetime?
Go Chiefs!
I haven't drawn my OIL yet, I had the broken horn as my second choice on my app and drew it.