Best current factory 338wm rifle???

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What’s out there these days? I want to get a 338wm, I see the Remington AWR, the m70ewss, browning x-bolt, Ruger Alaskan...

looks like Kimber and tikka aren’t building 338s anymore.

I’m thinking of getting an EWSS over the other options since I’ve had good luck with those in the past.

any input?

My son has a 300 WSM in a Model 70 EWSS and it's a really nice rifle.

Ruger Hawkeyes (model 77's) are in my opinion a tough well built rifle on the Mauser action also. Their scope mounting system is tough and dependable too. My guide on my grizzly bear hunt last fall carried a Ruger 77 in 338 Winchester. He's carried it as a back-up to his clients for 25 years!

There is a fella selling a new in box kimber montana 338win, sadly hes on the maple leaf side of the border from you. Local to me though if you wanted to get a 3rd party to import it. I've done it a few times the opposite direction

There's a Savage 116, SS/ fluted/brake/ 2 boxes Nosler Partition on Alaskaslist.com right now for $550....if it's still available. That's a smokin deal....I've said it before, and I'll say it again....Savages are shooters...

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My son has a 300 WSM in a Model 70 EWSS and it's a really nice rifle.

Ruger Hawkeyes (model 77's) are in my opinion a tough well built rifle on the Mauser action also. Their scope mounting system is tough and dependable too. My guide on my grizzly bear hunt last fall carried a Ruger 77 in 338 Winchester. He's carried it as a back-up to his clients for 25 years!

I’m a big fan of the extreme weather Winchester’s, I like the rugers but they aren’t too common these days.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There is a fella selling a new in box kimber montana 338win, sadly hes on the maple leaf side of the border from you. Local to me though if you wanted to get a 3rd party to import it. I've done it a few times the opposite direction

sounds like a pain in the butt.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd buy a Savage before I'd buy a Remington these days...and I'm a Big Green fan....

I pretty much agree, for some reason I thought that maybe that Remington AWR might be built to a higher standard than their ADL rifles but maybe not.

savage rifles always felt cheap to me, I know they shoot they just always seemed like toys to me rather than quality tools that I would want to hang on to.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
i have a Ruger m77 in .338 win. and love it. Not exactly a long range hunter and it kicks like a mule on crack and steroids, but it’s never let me down. Never had any kind of problem. Between myself and my father, we’ve probably killed 15 elk with it.

a few years back sportsman’s warehouse had a brand new old stock all weather Ruger Hawkeye 338 for like 600 dollars on the shelf...I was stupid for walking away.

I pretty much agree, for some reason I thought that maybe that Remington AWR might be built to a higher standard than their ADL rifles but maybe not.

savage rifles always felt cheap to me, I know they shoot they just always seemed like toys to me rather than quality tools that I would want to hang on to.
The traditional American brands are in a race to the bottom it seems like...pretty sad state of affairs...

I have two brand new never fired take off Kimber 8400 Montana 338 barrels if you find any 8400 long action magnum. You can have it no charge other than shipping. Very easy ( about $100) headspace and fit. I’m up in Fairbanks and will be down to Anchorage this weekend. Let me know if you want it

I also have a Tikka T3 Stainless Steel in 338 I would sell for $600. I have a McMillan Game Warden stock non painted cut for a Proof Sendaro or another Game Warden stock cut for a factory T3 Barrel contour that I planned to build on this rifle. They are for sale as well without the 4 month wait. $675 for each of those stocks. Will work on this T3.

Forest

WKR
Curious what you went with if you did?? Kicking the idea around of getting a 338 myself

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Curious what you went with if you did?? Kicking the idea around of getting a 338 myself

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I ended up getting a great deal on a Winchester 70 extreme weather, I have one in 30-06 that I really liked so I got its big brother.