Best cartridge for coyote/hog hunting in a factory tikka? 243 1:8 or 223 1:8

OP
M

Mjay6k

FNG
Tikka 243win suppressed 16” running 88gr at 2980 or 69gr hammers at 3450 for hogs and 55gr BT at 3615 for coyotes with thermal. I’ve killed hogs with my 16” t3 223rem to but the 243 is better for obvious reasons
Sounds like a good load, what contour was the tikka before you chopped it? Just a normal lite or?

OP
M

Mjay6k

FNG
Yes, you need to be 100 yds or more back from the carcass on the down wind side. Get hid or sit really still or they will spot you. Popup blinds work really well for this. In SC, you won't have long. Buzzards will have it cleaned in 5 days or less. Coyotes will usually come the 2nd night, but some will come in the daylight too. I tie the carcass to a tree, bush or stake because they will try to drag in back in the brush to eat on it.

m0Ee9OG.jpg

rgsaZqH.jpg
Thanks for the tips, interesting that they don’t come the first night generally.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a good load, what contour was the tikka before you chopped it? Just a normal lite or?
Just the normal lite. I had a lot of the monarch 100gr Soft points that were 10.99/box 20 at academy that I stockpiled. They shot well out to 500 yards and I killed a lot of varmints, pigs, deer, and steel with them at 50 cents a round and a still using the ppu brass for certain reloads. Wish that stuff was still available.

omicron1792

Lil-Rokslider
I guess it depends on what your coyote density is. One has to come in range to smell it in order to get on the bait. It also sometimes takes the bait several days to put off a pungent smell.