Best can for a ,223?

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Crossing my fingers my wolfhunter gets approved this week. I thought about picking up a 5.56 AB warthog for my Tikka .223.

The 5.56 AB A-10 is a great can, especially for the price. Considering cost, weight, size, and performance, it's very hard to beat. Its only weakness is sound suppression. It just won't be as quiet as larger .223 cans.

For big-game or predator hunting, where shots are rare, the A-10 is awesome. For prairie dogs or long days at the range, a larger can would get my vote.

The over barrel suppressors are neat, and I'd like to play with them, but for a .223, I believe they are unnecessary. Modern cans like the main ones mentioned in this thread are lighter, cheaper, and more versatile.

CMCctx

FNG
Updated version by otter creek.

He's also (in my opinion, I don't know him personally but I have seen his correspondence with people) a person who I (again, just me) wouldn't give any of my business to. It's a blatant ripoff of Ron Allen's design, he's trashed Ron in the past after being called out for insinuating that these were designed/produced with his blessing, question his moves with no aggression and he'll throw a tantrum. I've just chosen to steer clear, but that's just me and his loss of my potential business isn't even a blip on his radar. It's a tough call because his other cans are really impressive, although I've never shot with any of them. Just can't get past the.... seemingly interesting timing.... when he started to make the OCM5 and the drama that ensued when Ron was looking for someone to pass on the torch to for production, which Trajectory Arms ended up getting.

After typing that out I wholeheartedly see that I may need to change my tampon, it just bugs me but maybe it's a first world problem that I have energy and mental capacity to be bothered by something that has absolutely zero effect on mine and my family's life.

TL/DR: Get the AEM5!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Crossing my fingers my wolfhunter gets approved this week.
When did your form 4 go in? Trust or individual?

I pulled the trigger on a wolf hunter for my 223/243 rifles last night, I haven't gotten my hopes up about these fast turn around times yet and will just be pleasantly surprised if so. I will do a trust on mine though.

Ripnbst

FNG
I've been absolutely in love with my Otter Creek Labs Polonium. I went K but they offer the pretty standard K/S/L models so the size and sound reduction is kind of up to you. Bonus of the polonium is its actually a 6mm can so you can shoot up to .243/6CM in it. This was done to make it not so "gassy" on semi-auto gas operated guns like your run of the mill direct impingement AR platform rifles.

The 5.56 AB A-10 is a great can, especially for the price. Considering cost, weight, size, and performance, it's very hard to beat. Its only weakness is sound suppression. It just won't be as quiet as larger .223 cans.

For big-game or predator hunting, where shots are rare, the A-10 is awesome. For prairie dogs or long days at the range, a larger can would get my vote.

The over barrel suppressors are neat, and I'd like to play with them, but for a .223, I believe they are unnecessary. Modern cans like the main ones mentioned in this thread are lighter, cheaper, and more versatile.

It’s hard to beat the A-10 price point for weight and tone. it’s going to almost double to get a couple decimals lower

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s hard to beat the A-10 price point for weight and tone. it’s going to almost double to get a couple decimals lower
For what its worth since I was just looking hard at options.

The 5.56 A-10 in the 2024 sound summit was 126.68dB (PK leq) at ML, lists at 10.6oz and 5.5" long, retail $450 commonly.

DD wolf hunter in the 2024 sound summit was 119.03dB (PK leq) at ML, lists at 9.1oz and 6.75" long, retail $720 commonly. It can handle 6mm too so not just a 5.56 can.

I went with the DD wolf hunter (vs 5.56 A-10):
-94% the dB (7-8dB isn't inconsequential)
-86% the weight
-123% length
-142% the cost (when you add in a required $200 tax stamp to both)
-Allows 6mm as well.
-Probably can't run it as hard since its Ti vs stainless, if on a semi-auto platform

Realistically I found a good sale on the wolf hunter so the cost premium was less. If AB was still running the BOGO to get a little bird for free I would have hard a hard time ignoring the A-10.

You made the right call. Another plus for the DD Wolf Hunter is the replaceable end caps. A dedicated .223 end cap will cut noise even further when used on a 5.56.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You made the right call. Another plus for the DD Wolf Hunter is the replaceable end caps. A dedicated .223 end cap will cut noise even further when used on a 5.56.
I think it already comes with the same size end cap that they sell for 5.56 (9/32")? The bore size listed for the can itself (0.281" IE 9/32").

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Abel Co. Theorem, or Theorem-S if you want to save some weight and length. Newer company, and amazing quality.

Diligent Defense has great products for the price. OCL makes some great products too. And of course any TBAC offering that checks your boxes.

Well have DD make a custom cap with a reduced aperture that says "5.56 ONLY!" That'll make it quieter.

Haha. Thanks for letting me know. I should have looked at mine before posting. I'm a moron.
No worries. I know the dead air caps fit the DD cans but not sure what diameter their 556 cap is

The wolf hunter and A-10 are on my shortlist. Though I'll probably just use my Nomad on the .223 until this plays out...