Best Caliber for Deer for 200+ Yard Shots?

aznoob

FNG
There really isn’t a “best cartridge.” In terms of effectiveness, if you put two bullets of similar weight, construction and impact velocity into two deer’s vitals, the results are going to be similar.

I like the 6.5 Creedmoor because:

-Relatively light recoil because that makes it easier to shoot well.
-Factory ammo available. Even though I hand load, I want to be able to go into most places and get factory ammo in case my hand loads don’t show up with my luggage. Top quality 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo will shoot nearly as well as hand loads in a quality rifle.
-I prefer short actions.
-Lots of high BC bullets available which aids in impact velocity and fights wind effects as ranges get long.

John
If I were gonna but a new rifle I'd go 6.5 creedmore.

49ereric

WKR
I'm considering a new gun for the upcoming season due to the new lease I was lucky enough to stumble on. It has some nice flat, open fields and I'm looking at some 200+ yard shots. What is your favorite caliber for deer for those 200+ yard shots?
.308 win cuz that is what I was given as a kid but any of the mentioned cartridges will work fine. Just practice shooting. I hand load so I use a spitzer bullet for tougher jacket no boat tail. Round nose bullets works well as always.
when I was young .303 Brits and 8mm Mauser’s were common as well 7.62x54 Russian.

Long Cut

WKR
The ballistics of the 6.5 CM really shine at longer ranges. That being said it’s the shooter that is the key factor.

At the end of the day it’s the gun you practice the most with.

Many different calibers are effective at this range, it all comes down to the shooter and if you can consistently make the shot.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
So many ways you can go and none would be wrong. I've shot 7mm08, .308 300WM and 6.5 PRC for deer. At this point I'm sticking with my 6.5PRC. Who knows though that could change. So there is really no right or wrong answer. It's all personal preference.

According to recent Field and Stream article and gun editor, Richard Mann, there are 11 ideal cartridges for deer. However, he voted the .308 as the overall best. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, read the article and make your own decision.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/11-b...387276506e-19e2e6614d-537375814#affinity=deer

"There’s nothing sexy or exciting about the .308 Winchester. It’s doesn’t deliver sizzling velocities or hit extremely hard, and it’s as common as bad breath. But what the .308 Winchester does a really good job of is killing deer. It offers a wonderful balance of velocity, energy, trajectory, and recoil, and the selection of factory loads is diverse in bullet weight, type, and ballistic coefficient. There are even several low-recoil options for youths or new hunters, and it has a reputation for extreme precision."

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
My 7mm-08 gets carried more than all my other rifles combined. I've killed with it from 20 yards to 320 and never feel undergunned with it. It's about as good as it gets for me personally how I hunt.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I built a little AR for my son several years back, chambered in 6.8SPCII. Now I can’t say it’s the “best” cartridge, but we’ve shot 4 or 5 deer with it and a couple antelope, and man I love that little rifle and round. Almost no recoil at all, incredibly accurate, and every deer has been DRT with minimal meat damage but impressive internal organ damage. I love being able to literally see the impact and read an animals body language through the scope at and after the shot, which is hard to do with a heavy recoiling rifle. I think the AR platform is perfect for youth and new hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle K

FNG
I like the 6.5 creedmoor because it is fun and easy to shoot. My family all use 30-06 with great success, but I like the lighter recoil for practicing and building good habits.

200 isnt that far when it comes to rifle hunting so whatever you can shoot and is legal in your state.

Topher502

FNG
7mm-08 is my go to for sitting in one of my stands for longer shots (cant find ammo for it anymore)
i have a .450 bushmaster i like to carry when on foot