Best bino magnification for goats & sheep, spotters to pair with.

Ztm91

FNG
I just got back from a two week solo backcountry trip and am reconsidering and evaluating my current Binos. I currently have Swaro 8.5x42, I figured these would be a good starting point as the goal was to primarily locate animals vs scrutinize details, but I really struggled to pick apart terrain at distance, especially for goats and sheep. I do wear glasses (contacts in the field) and trying to glass across a basin to other peaks or ridges with snow field, melting snow spots, or rocks really made it a challenge to pick up contrast or movement.

My use case is untraditional for this site. I started getting out west to backcountry fly fish. Then to learn more about backcountry gear & performance I started following a bunch of hunting podcasts. I love the idea of the backcountry pursuit, however harvesting an animal is just not for me personally. So I bought a new camera and 500mm lens and have started going out in search of animals in the backcountry to shoot just with my camera instead of a bow or rifle.

I really appreciate the country pursuing goats and sheep get you into so that will be a primary target for me. Would a higher magnification bino be beneficial in my case, especially with my flawed vision? I do not have a spotter currently but am considering adding a Kowa 554 or 55a at some point as well. I also have been carrying a slik 634 tripod. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 4FD475A1-E94B-4214-9697-0F21290D335E.jpeg
    4FD475A1-E94B-4214-9697-0F21290D335E.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 9
For your use, I'd suggest Swaro 15x56s (or their new 14Xs) to locate game and then sneak within camera range. I have a compact Nikon ED50 spotting scope, but anything larger is a pain to backpack with. When stabilized by a tripod, 15s are incredible for picking out game at loooooooooooooong distances.

OP
Z

Ztm91

FNG
Both of those seem to be good viable options. I keep hearing a lot of people talk about the pros of the Sig zulu6 Binos. Any benefit to potentially selling my Swaro Binos and then buying some 12x42 Sig perhaps and a Kowa 554 or 55s to accompany them? I know the quality is not the same, but I’ve also heard some new Sig Binos are coming out soon as well.

Where are you doing this? What kind of sheep? What time of year? Since you’re photographing I’m guessing you aren’t trying to age the sheep either.

The kowa 554 and 55a are two very different scopes due to the eye piece.