Best bino magnification for goats & sheep, spotters to pair with.

Ztm91

FNG
I just got back from a two week solo backcountry trip and am reconsidering and evaluating my current Binos. I currently have Swaro 8.5x42, I figured these would be a good starting point as the goal was to primarily locate animals vs scrutinize details, but I really struggled to pick apart terrain at distance, especially for goats and sheep. I do wear glasses (contacts in the field) and trying to glass across a basin to other peaks or ridges with snow field, melting snow spots, or rocks really made it a challenge to pick up contrast or movement.

My use case is untraditional for this site. I started getting out west to backcountry fly fish. Then to learn more about backcountry gear & performance I started following a bunch of hunting podcasts. I love the idea of the backcountry pursuit, however harvesting an animal is just not for me personally. So I bought a new camera and 500mm lens and have started going out in search of animals in the backcountry to shoot just with my camera instead of a bow or rifle.

I really appreciate the country pursuing goats and sheep get you into so that will be a primary target for me. Would a higher magnification bino be beneficial in my case, especially with my flawed vision? I do not have a spotter currently but am considering adding a Kowa 554 or 55a at some point as well. I also have been carrying a slik 634 tripod. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 4FD475A1-E94B-4214-9697-0F21290D335E.jpeg
    4FD475A1-E94B-4214-9697-0F21290D335E.jpeg
    288.2 KB · Views: 9
For your use, I'd suggest Swaro 15x56s (or their new 14Xs) to locate game and then sneak within camera range. I have a compact Nikon ED50 spotting scope, but anything larger is a pain to backpack with. When stabilized by a tripod, 15s are incredible for picking out game at loooooooooooooong distances.

OP
Z

Ztm91

FNG
Both of those seem to be good viable options. I keep hearing a lot of people talk about the pros of the Sig zulu6 Binos. Any benefit to potentially selling my Swaro Binos and then buying some 12x42 Sig perhaps and a Kowa 554 or 55s to accompany them? I know the quality is not the same, but I’ve also heard some new Sig Binos are coming out soon as well.