Best bang for the buck waterproof tarp for the pnw?

Tick

WKR
Borah gear or bear paw wilderness are reasonably light for the money.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Borah 7x9' tarp (silpoly, weighs 9.5 oz for right at $100.

I wouldn't go much smaller than 7x9'; if the weather is really crappy you'll appreciate the additional coverage for not a lot more weight (or cost).

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Borah 7x9' tarp (silpoly, weighs 9.5 oz for right at $100.

I wouldn't go much smaller than 7x9'; if the weather is really crappy you'll appreciate the additional coverage for not a lot more weight (or cost).
Agreed with both statements here. Borah makes some fantastic gear. I have their Solo tarp that is 5.8x9. It's great for keeping a light shower, or the sun off you. If I was expecting a lot of rain or inclement weather, it would stay home. There's just not much room under it.

I'll also add the Seek Outside DST Tarp as another good option. It's bigger, and they offer it in a silpoly version that might be better suited for a wetter environment.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
DST in either fabric version is a great, reasonable priced option with a decent weight. It’s super versatile for good coverage when sleeping with space for you and a pack.
If you’re going smaller you have a lot of options, between dyneema, or poly, nylon stuff. I keep a kifaru sheep tarp in my pack a lot on any day trip with weather. I like tarps with cones for trekking poles or posts.
I live in NW Oregon FWIW.

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
adding my vote for the borah tarp. Wish I would have gotten the next size up and likely will for next season, but this one has saved the day many of times during this rainy summer and just lives in my bag now.