Best Ballistics App Today?

OP
DenimChicken
I’ve got some homework to do. I’ve downloaded and tried a number of the apps, but it’s taken more time than I care to admit to input data and utilize the different interfaces.

I’ve found a few of the apps output very similar solutions, but I’ve gotten some pretty drastic differences between some of them. Can very possibly be due to input issues, but there’s been up to 1 MOA differences at 500yds.

Conrad

FNG
You absolutely have to make sure all inputs match on the solvers in order to compare. There are also a few tricks on the kestrel like making sure that the bullet length is correct in order to get the correct aerodynamic jump. I have found that when I pull in environmentalist from kestrel via Bluetooth to Hornady 4DOF and BallisticARC that my dope matches across all. This also includes Patagonia Ballistics in the desktop which I use to make my hard dope. I will quick reference this card at PRS match for avg temp of the day and my dope is always within a tenth of the kestrel. I do the cards without SD and AJ and make notes what to add or subtract based on wind direction and it’s right there. This is with very well known and tested Bergers predominantly. I could see where a more obscure bullet that doesn’t have as much data could be tough. That said sometimes I use custom curves sometimes I just roll with g7.

Sometimes the solvers on the rangefinders can get skewed if device hasn’t matched ambient temp yet but this would have to be fairly extreme.

khuber84

WKR
Applied ballistics works. 4dof at extreme high/low angles is way jacked up. Not that many of us shoot those angles but a sheep hunter or extreme mountain hunter may, do not use 4dof for that. To my knowledge they're working on the firmware, I've actually heard a new much more powful 4dof solver is in the works, but it requires too much processor power for what a 5700 has to offer.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another vote for the sig BDX rangefinder/app combo.

Missed an opportunity at a bear this year because we were fiddling with an app trying to get all the data input for the shot. The next weekend, using my rifle and BDX setup, we got an initial range and dialed to 5 1/4 MOA. Bear kept moving so by the time the shooter was settled in for the shot I was able to range again and we needed to adjust two more clicks. That took all of three seconds and the shot was dead on. Very efficient system that allows you to adjust on the fly.

Practice will eliminate the fiddling. And, knowing your guns dope will help as well. I run rifles that have similar elevation adjustments for that reason.

You can have paper dope and kill. There should be no input into an app in the seconds before a shot. Screenshot the dope for the day, Range the animal and kill. A screenshot or paper dope card based on a reasonably close density altitude will kill to 500ish no problem.

Don’t get all gadgety and complex.

That said, I ran Sig BDX 2400 and Sig BDX 3000 to a Garmin 701 and now run a Fury with AB to my Garmin Delta Tactix AB. It can also run to Kestrel and some others. It is an easy way. I like to range and have the numbers on my wrist. I put 10 mph in wind two for it to display wind call. I leave wind one at zero so it doesn’t calculate aerodynamic jump.

I agree with the others, for an app, AB is the gold standard, no one is doing more for long range than Litz and crew.

But, the app isn’t going to be the limiting factor if you don’t learn how it works, enter the right data, learn the wind, and learn how to shoot.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
With ballistic apps and solvers, what is everyone doing for their MV? My setup is a Kestrel w/AB and a Leica rangefinder that will spit out my dope in seconds. It's not cheap, but it's great. My rifle's MV at 65 degrees is 3096 and that is the MV in my Kestrel. I am certain that increases and decreases with temps and where I am, it can be 30 in the morning and 70 in the evening. Say you impose a 700 yard max on a wild animal, how much of an effect is a MV change between temps and your elevation dial? Or do you know what your MV is prior to hunting at various temps?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
AB has input for “powder temp” and to account for this. Not sure if it is in the Kestrel or others.

Short answer is there are other things to worry about missing inside 500ish yards because of it. Further, run your dope and look at 675, 700, and 725. For mine, from 675 it’s roughly 25 fps to 700 and then another 23 fps to 725. Dope is 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6.

Don’t use the muzzle velocity when ammo is hot, or fudge it down some if that’s the case.

If you are paranoid, test ammo. Keep some in a cooler frozen and some ambient temp. Shoot it and see the difference.

The easy answer is what I do. I keep a magazine or bullets in an inside jacket when it is cold. If you have a long range shot, you will have time to use the warm ammo. If you chamber the warm round and let the barrel cool it, you lose the advantage.

F4A5CB16-14F0-4D1C-9170-F16462AA905C.jpeg

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
I have zeiss lrf binos, kilo 10k, kilo 2400 range finder. These are all the best solution for dope on quick opportunities. The zeiss dope takes some truing, but the two sig units run AB. Swaro El range, fury 5000ab, Leica pro all do the same thing. Buy the best you can afford. The zeiss, Leica and swaro by far have the best glass of lrf binos, believe Leica pro is only one running applied ballistics tho.

Gila

WKR
Downloading your rifle profile to your rangefinder for ballistics is the way to go for a quick firing solution. I have been using the Sig rangefinder which has the AB solver engine. But on the model I have it doesn’t give wind holds.

I use GEOBallistics app with the WeatherFlow to get enviro data. As you guys probably know, Vortex purchased GEO to put that solver engine into their new ballistic rangefinder. Unfortunately, the Vortex Rangefinder only supports Kestrel, won’t support my WeatherFlow. But at least if I true up the AB solver in the Range finder with GEOBallistics App I am good to go.