Best backcountry lantern???

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
This may have been touched on before, but what are you guys that do use a lantern using? I own the primus micron and really like the light it puts out. I don't like the amount of gas it burns and how fragile the mantles are. Is there anything out there comparable that is any better? I will be using it in an 8 man tipi. Thanks

gelton

WKR
I swear by Snow Peak Mini Hozuki, at just 3.1 ounces, it throws off excellent lite with a dimmer and an excellent battery life, not sure what else one would want for a backcountry lantern. I use it outside of the tent when cooking etc, and am amazed at how well it lights up the camp area much less the tent.

http://www.rei.com/product/847049/snow-peak-mini-hozuki-lantern

That is assuming you would consider a battery powered lantern vs what you have been using.

I have a Black Diamond Apollo that I really like. Long battery life and good, bright light in a compact package. The only issue I have with it is the hanging system. Using it inside of a War Bonnet Blackbird XLC attached to the ridge line, it tends to fall off of the line every time I move around.

I recently purchased a Streamlight Seige. It is heavier and not as compact but it has a much better hanging system and some extra features. I have not yet used it camping, but I plan on using it next weekend.

OP
J

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I took advantage of the 50% off sale and ordered the snow peak

Good choice. I've used a Mini Hozuki for 3 years and it's a super good light in a tent. Of course it's not as bright as a full-on fueled lantern, but I just need enough light to get dressed, cook, etc. One set of AAAs (3) lasts a long time, and a second set will get me through a 14 day hunt. For the weight and convenience I can't do any better.

gramirau

FNG
This year, we went with the Black Diamond Moji LED in my 8 man. It's light, small, runs of 3 AAA's, and you can set the brightness by holding down the button. We made one set of batteries last at least 6 days in the tipi, but the light settings were low most of the time, and it's only on for a short period in the morning and night. Not sure how much longer we would have out of the light but it still seemed bright at the end. I actually prefer to have two of these Moji lights in the 8 man as it creates less shadows in the place, for a small weight penalty.

Iron Mike

FNG
I have a Snow Peak Snow Miner, but don't use it all that often. My setup is entirely based on 18650 batteries, so I may try this one out: http://www.amazon.com/CL25R-recharg...F8&qid=1449786556&sr=8-1&keywords=Fenix+CL25R It will allow me to use the same batteries as my flashlight, headlamp and phone charger. Only 4.5 oz without battery. Also attaches to a tripod, so that may be a plus for some. Wish I could save money and buy it without a battery as I already have tons of 18650s.

OP
J

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
Received the mini hozuki the other day, and I am impressed! Im gonna order a Luci and compare them side by side.

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
What is the difference between the original and outdoor Luci light?
I have both and can't tell the difference between the two... you would have to call MPowerd and find out...equally bright and last the same amount of hours, weigh the same.

troutdreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and can't tell the difference between the two... you would have to call MPowerd and find out...equally bright and last the same amount of hours, weigh the same.

Thanks, I just went ahead and purchased a couple of the originals. I usually give an relatively inexpensive Christmas gift to two of my hunting friends and these lanterns fit the bill. If they work for them I will be purchasing one for myself later. Seems like a great idea to reduce some weight.