Best All Copper Cartridge for Whitetail Deer for a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creedmoor?

mattot

FNG
So question to all of the folks giving advice here, I have been reading and reading and reading... seems like paralysis by analysis (and an overwhelming amount of different input) is real.
My understanding is that a copper bullet needs more velocity to properly expand.
With my simple thinking... If I shoot a whitetail within 50-100-150 yards with a 6.5 CM, the velocity will be MORE than enough to hit with authority, expand properly, exit (most likely), and in theory have a DRT deer, with little fragmentation/bloodshot meat. Or am I missing something here?

Looking to switch to all copper myself, mostly hunting in GA so shots under 150 yards, unless I'm in a field.

Looking at Hornady GMX (CX now I think), Barnes TTSX, and LRX (in another mag for those longer shots). Maybe Nosler eTip.
Similar thoughts here. Yes, you should have fine expansion at that range. DRT will depend on where you aim. If you go for double lung shots, expect them to run a bit before dropping, like they usually would with any bullet. At least with copper you should have an exit wound and a decent blood trail. That's what I've experienced when switching to copper. Nosler ballistic tips were deadly but blood trails could be non-existent. Just picked up a 6.5 CM and hoping the 120 gr CX Superformance works well in it as I'd really like the higher velocities.

Similar thoughts here. Yes, you should have fine expansion at that range. DRT will depend on where you aim. If you go for double lung shots, expect them to run a bit before dropping, like they usually would with any bullet. At least with copper you should have an exit wound and a decent blood trail. That's what I've experienced when switching to copper. Nosler ballistic tips were deadly but blood trails could be non-existent. Just picked up a 6.5 CM and hoping the 120 gr CX Superformance works well in it as I'd really like the higher velocities.
That's perfect, ever tried Winchester Copper Impact Ammunition 6.5 Creedmoor 125 Grain?
I see they have some good sales on them.

I too looked at the CX and now also looking at the 127 LRX s

mattot

FNG
That's perfect, ever tried Winchester Copper Impact Ammunition 6.5 Creedmoor 125 Grain?
I see they have some good sales on them.

I too looked at the CX and now also looking at the 127 LRX s
Thanks- I haven't shot the new rifle yet but if CXs don't shoot well I'll definitely try Copper Impacts.