Best all around Whitetail clothing setup for Illinois?

rp672

FNG
Looking for a good clothing setup for Illinois whitetails from base layer to outer shell that will cover me from 80 degree early season hunts to rainy 40 degree hunts to 0 degree late season hunts. I've used Sitka, First Lite, and Kuiu, but I don't feel like I've found the "perfect setup" when it comes to a versatile clothing system that will function well throughout the season. Open to any suggestions, ideas, or experience. Thanks!

Wannabebowhuntr

Lil-Rokslider
For one set up for everything, I think the best way to go is an uninsulated wind proof outer layer like the new first lite phase or Sitka stratus. When your morning temps are above 40 like they have been most of the year so far in northern/central IL I would be fine in just a base layer and either of those. As temps drop towards the 30’s and 40’s overnight and in the mornings you could add an insulation layer in the middle and be good I think. If you hunt later in the year when it gets below 30 you’ll have to really layer up or have another set up with an insulated outer layer. I think something like I listed is best for central midwest hunters though. I have a first lite solitude set and I haven’t even worn it yet this year, been to warm. We’ll see how the rest of the season goes, but I may sell it and buy one of the lighter sets and an insulating layer so I can also have one set up for the bulk of my season.

In IL myself and I have found that walking out a little cold and adding layers once I'm at my stand or blind works best. I wear a mix of Sitka and store brands mostly bought on the discount rack. The Sitka layers with "windstopper" work great on windy days without adding bulk. Really haven't noticed any difference in deer reactions for any camo style used.

Kurts86

WKR
You are really asking for somewhere around 2.5 systems. You really need some lighter pants and a lightweight base layer (core lightweight) down to 60 degrees, then add a midlayer top (ambient) to get into the 40’s and then switch to heavier pants/bibs and jacket (status system) for 20-40’s. Below the 20’s you need the hardcore heavy weight whitetail specific gear or you have to bundle like a marshmallow.

I feel like a mistake people make for whitetail hunting is buying really nice technical clothing meant for higher exertion western hunting and then freeze in a treestand. Once you get below freezing the heavily insulated whitetail gear really does matter and you can freeze in something like a Sitka jetstream.

Wannabebowhuntr

Lil-Rokslider
You are really asking for somewhere around 2.5 systems. You really need some lighter pants and a lightweight base layer (core lightweight) down to 60 degrees, then add a midlayer top (ambient) to get into the 40’s and then switch to heavier pants/bibs and jacket (status system) for 20-40’s. Below the 20’s you need the hardcore heavy weight whitetail specific gear or you have to bundle like a marshmallow.

I feel like a mistake people make for whitetail hunting is buying really nice technical clothing meant for higher exertion western hunting and then freeze in a treestand. Once you get below freezing the heavily insulated whitetail gear really does matter and you can freeze in something like a Sitka jetstream.
Agreed, or people will drop a bunch of money on something whitetail specific like the stratus and then be mad when they get cold because it’s not insulated. Windproof is super important, but you have to start adding insulation as it gets cold.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Keep it simple. A thin wind proof/rain proof outside shell. Then your choice of layering. Solves it all.

Layers let you adjust to temps. Which types of layers you like. Fleece, merino wool, puffy, etc. maybe all of them.

I also like to walk in cold so I don’t sweat out. Of course, I run hot and will sweat out a t-shirt hiking in feezing weather.