Best All Around Bag?

Bdouble

FNG
After reviewing dozens of sleeping bags (Temp Rating, Down vs. Synthetic, Weight, etc) Im feeling a little sleeping bag fatigue.
Im not sure what the best all around option would be. I am new to back-country hunting and am looking for some advice on the best sleep system that you've all used in 1-2 day pack hunts but can scale up to 6-8 day base camps.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

tdot

WKR
What temps do you expect?

Everyone's answer is gonna be different. There is no one perfect bag.

I would suggest you figure out the following first:

How warm do you sleep?

What temp ratings do you expect? Highs to lows? Expected precip levels?

Will you sleep in clothes to increase a a bags rating?

What's your tent/tarp situation?

How do you value a)weight b) packability c) roominess d)price

Your experience in the backcountry?

Asking all these questions will help guide you into a family or type of bag... ie. Quilt, mummy, down, synthetic, etc.

I've found a 5 degree down bag and both a synthetic and down 30 degree quilt are just about perfect for everything I do. But they definitely wouldn't work for others.

Where are you going to hunt? Temps and weather? What’s your budget? How tall and heavy are you?

Decide on down vs synthetic. General rule of thumb:

- Down - lighter, more expensive, less good if damp or wet
- Synthetic - heavier and less compressible, cheaper, dries faster

North face cats meow for $150 is a lot of bag for the money.
Western mountaineering badger is also great but is over $500

Lots of options in between.

Once you fine tune you needs people can offer better suggestions.

Keep in mind you are going to need a good sleeping pad. I would say something like a thermarest xtherm is the way to go for all around use.

OP
B

Bdouble

FNG
Man, these are great questions to think about. I currently live in WI and just use an air pad or cot and an old ass Lands End heavy bag that's probably 20 years old. I'm thinking time for an upgrade. Thanks for the feedback!

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Stone Glacier Avail (2200 cubic inches) for big game hunting; a Stone Glacier Krux frame and bag waits in the vehicle if I get lucky enough to pack something out. The Avail is the goldilocks size for a long day of hunting in remote country- not too big, not too small. Hauls enough kit that I can squeeze in an unexpected night out- albeit probably not the most comfortable night I'll ever spend out

jolemons

WKR
I use a Stone Glacier Avail (2200 cubic inches) for big game hunting; a Stone Glacier Krux frame and bag waits in the vehicle if I get lucky enough to pack something out. The Avail is the goldilocks size for a long day of hunting in remote country- not too big, not too small. Hauls enough kit that I can squeeze in an unexpected night out- albeit probably not the most comfortable night I'll ever spend out
Did you read his question? Sleeping bag, not pack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
Did you read his question? Sleeping bag, not pack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sometimes my fingers moves faster than my brain. o_O

I have the us military surplus mss system and have used it mid winter up here in Nunavut (along with milder weather). This was cold tenting in a mountaineering tent with a blue closed cell foam sleeping mat and a basic thermarest. The air temp was -43c for two nights (the coldest I have used one yet). We were stuck in a blizzard at 1500' in the mountains in 90 km winds. It was a bit cold, but I have since changed my sleeping mattress (thick 4" foam and muskox hides) which has made a huge difference. I now have two mss systems, one for me and one for my little girl (7 years old). I think they are great value and work well. I also picked up a large heavy duty canvas tarp to create a tent with (retain more heat) which I have yet to use, but I like that it can serve numerous purposes.

OP
B

Bdouble

FNG
Thanks for the feedback - also qood questions. I have heard great things about TNF Cats Meow. Appreciate the insight!

Where are you going to hunt? Temps and weather? What’s your budget? How tall and heavy are you?

Decide on down vs synthetic. General rule of thumb:

- Down - lighter, more expensive, less good if damp or wet
- Synthetic - heavier and less compressible, cheaper, dries faster

North face cats meow for $150 is a lot of bag for the money.
Western mountaineering badger is also great but is over $500

Lots of options in between.

Once you fine tune you needs people can offer better suggestions.

Keep in mind you are going to need a good sleeping pad. I would say something like a thermarest xtherm is the way to go for all around use.
Just watched a GoHunt review of the Avail. Looks legit. I use a MR Glacier for packing/hiking but it doesn't have a load shelf. Looking to possibly buy something used, MR Metcalf or Marshall, SG anything, or similar.

Thanks for the feedback - also qood questions. I have heard great things about TNF Cats Meow. Appreciate the insight!

Just watched a GoHunt review of the Avail. Looks legit. I use a MR Glacier for packing/hiking but it doesn't have a load shelf. Looking to possibly buy something used, MR Metcalf or Marshall, SG anything, or similar.

I used a cars meow for years. Latest iteration is a bit slimmer than previous ones which sent me looking for a bag with more shoulder room.

If I were a western hunter and might get caught opinion some cold temps, and only had one bag it would be a synthetic 5-10* rated bag. You can open it up to dump heat when needed.

OP
B

Bdouble

FNG
I used a cars meow for years. Latest iteration is a bit slimmer than previous ones which sent me looking for a bag with more shoulder room.

If I were a western hunter and might get caught opinion some cold temps, and only had one bag it would be a synthetic 5-10* rated bag. You can open it up to dump heat when needed.
Thanks Desk Jockey, that helps narrow down the options!

I've been using the BA Lost Ranger 15 with Q-Core Deluxe pad. I like that the bag has more shoulder room than the typical mummy.

feanor

WKR
You’ve got to be ready for cold temps, so a 0 degree isn’t out of the question. Just remember that your bag is complimented by the pad you have. A high R value pad will go a long way to keep you warmer.

schmalzy

WKR
I bought a wm Apache (15* 2 pounds) that was basically new off here that I’ve used this year. Haven’t taken down that low yet but from first 6 nights or so very happy. It may not be a one and done but I think covers 90% extremely well. Coldest I’ve had it was 30s and I was extremely comfortable and able to vent as needed on warmer nights.

I’ve seen a number of wm bags in the 400 range lately. There are times I wonder if I should have got the badger but I love the weight/space savings. I use it with an OR bivy and can toss and turn with the bag so to say inside the bivy.

I’ve run cheaper bags and can now say if you can swing the $ it’s worth it. Mummy isn’t for everyone but I’ve gotten used to it and enjoy it now. Again, love how small it compresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a wm Apache (15* 2 pounds) that was basically new off here that I’ve used this year. Haven’t taken down that low yet but from first 6 nights or so very happy. It may not be a one and done but I think covers 90% extremely well. Coldest I’ve had it was 30s and I was extremely comfortable and able to vent as needed on warmer nights.

I’ve seen a number of wm bags in the 400 range lately. There are times I wonder if I should have got the badger but I love the weight/space savings. I use it with an OR bivy and can toss and turn with the bag so to say inside the bivy.

I’ve run cheaper bags and can now say if you can swing the $ it’s worth it. Mummy isn’t for everyone but I’ve gotten used to it and enjoy it now. Again, love how small it compresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think for most the sweet spot is 10-20*. once You go from a cheap bag to a legit one, you feel the difference. wife had the Apache, I ran a badger for a short time. If it fits, you can’t go wrong with either.

ebay is another great spot to check. A friend got a 900$ bag for $350. It was used but with a little washing it is like new. These high end bags can really be revived. So don’t ignore the more seasoned ones.

Beendare

WKR
Some good info above....Agreed.

I would add, its better to go a little warmer ....as if you have a 3/4 or full zip you can always unzip you bag and use as a quilt. Especially with down....the weight penalty is almost nuthin.

I would never go low quality down....550,650....I've seen those lose loft quicker over time faster than high loft 700/800.

Many of these bags go on sale for the couple months after Christmas.....Except for Western Mountaineering [one of the best for sure] those rarely go on sale. I got both of my Montbell SS bags for 40% off in Jan/Feb.

glass eye

FNG
If you plan on hunting different locations, seasons, elevations, there is no ONE perfect bag. I own several bags for myself and my wife in 20 degree increments. I just packed for Hawaii and my -20*F wouldn't work for that, and likewise my +45*F bag wouldn't work for when I hunt the NZ alps in winter.
45*
20*
0*
-20*
2014-05-21 15.26.22.jpgNZ 2011 037.JPG

If you plan on hunting different locations, seasons, elevations, there is no ONE perfect bag. I own several bags for myself and my wife in 20 degree increments. I just packed for Hawaii and my -20*F wouldn't work for that, and likewise my +45*F bag wouldn't work for when I hunt the NZ alps in winter.
45*
20*
0*
-20*
View attachment 130223View attachment 130224

45, 25,0 for me. I can stretch out my 25 and 0 and I am usually in the lower 48. But spot on advice.

I can only speak of Colorado, but typically sept will be in the 30s for lows at night,Oct will be 20s-teens,and right now tonite at 5000ft we are gonna be -3 and Saturday is the start of are 3rd rifle season,so you need at least a couple of bags if your a western hunter