Best Advice for First Time OTC Colorado

cohunter1996

Lil-Rokslider
I had a pretty good first season with OTC tags last year. Elk were not as deep as expected, just be open minded & do a bunch of scouting.

That is slightly discouraging but thanks for the reply. I would prefer not to see anyone even if that means less chance of taking a big bull, but seems like no matter where in Colorado you will run into people.

Have you hunted 3rd rifle season? This might be another option for me.
Definitely hunt archery season instead of rifle if you are confident with your bow and calling. Rifle season is crazy there. I have done both and I will likely never rifle hunt there again

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
In between jobs I have about 2 weeks this September and looking to do an OTC Archery trip in Colorado. This will be my first elk trip and first time hunting Colorado. If time permits I plan to scout before the season, but that is unknown at this time.

Besides finding water source big or small what other suggestions do you have for first timer?

I plan to do a solo trip with a 5-7 day pack.

Don't make the 1st OTC CO elk hunt your last one. What I mean by that is make a priority to scout and have a plan, and a back up plan, and another back up plan prior to the trip. I've seen it happen before. Guys come up and don't have a plan. Walking around blowing bugles and smashing their hoochie mamas. It ends up with a very bad experience and they don't come back. OTC can be challenging. Another word of advice, you will not fool a elks nose, understand the thermals. Good luck to you.

Don't make the 1st OTC CO elk hunt your last one. What I mean by that is make a priority to scout and have a plan, and a back up plan, and another back up plan prior to the trip. I've seen it happen before. Guys come up and don't have a plan. Walking around blowing bugles and smashing their hoochie mamas. It ends up with a very bad experience and they don't come back. OTC can be challenging. Another word of advice, you will not fool a elks nose, understand the thermals. Good luck to you.
Great advice!!

kcm2

WKR
Elk are where you find them, not where you think they should be or want them to be. If you are not seeing or hearing elk, move until you find them.

And yes, that could be setting up a long and difficult hike back to the truck.