best 2 man stove friendly archery shelter

gmajor

WKR
Weight difference between a megatarp with the annex and the Cimarron will be right at a half pound. For me being able to stand up next to the center pole and have more heat giving stove pipe inside the shelter along make me lean towards the sawtooth or Cimarron. The Megatarp is a great shelter but I feel adding the annex and putting at stove in it takes away from what makes it so great.

You're totally on point with the cimarron - I guess I was thinking about the sawtooth and while they look amaazing and I'd love one, they are significantly heavier.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You're totally on point with the cimarron - I guess I was thinking about the sawtooth and while they look amaazing and I'd love one, they are significantly heavier.

Agreed the difference between a Sawtooth and a Megatarp with annex is roughly 20 oz or so depending on guylines and number and kind of stakes brought.

Beastmode

WKR
Realistically the sawtooth and Cimarron are very close in weight. Kifaru includes everything in total weight. Seek outside does not. By the time you add stakes, pole, and stove jack they are within a half a pound.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The Sawtooth is roughly 49 oz with all the guy lines I tied onto for just the fly.

The Cimarron is listed at 36 oz, I don't have one (yet, looking at getting one) so the difference is roughly 3/4 of a pound.

charvey9

WKR
Gee...thanks. You guys are making this tough. I was kind of all in on a Megatarp being my do it all shelter, then you had to throw this Cimarron logic into the mix. As long as the shelter is safe, I value weight above just about everything else and am looking for that 4 season option to run a stove. I already have the Ti Goat WiFi, just can't decide on the shelter.

However, my situation is a little bit different in weighing the options since I don't like to carry trekking poles unless needed to pitch a shelter. For this purpose I need 2 for the mega and just one for the Cimarron. I figure the stakes and lines between the two shelters are pretty much a wash in weight, as I would use the same stakes and line and weight would be right in the ballpark.

Using the two options and my current trekking poles (Leki Carbonlite XL) which are 7 ounces each the two shelters come out within 3 ounces.

Megatarp 21oz
Annex 6oz
Poles x 2 14oz
Total 41oz

Cimarron 36oz
Pole 7oz
Jack 1oz
Total 44oz

At that point, it seems almost like a no brainer to go with the Cimarron. Not even mentioning that it is over $200 cheaper than the Mega/Annex option. However, since I really don't use the poles for trekking, I was going to get some dedicated tent poles from Ruta Locura once I settled on the shelter. That would cut the weight down on the Mega to 33oz and Cimarron to 41oz.

For solo applications half a pound gives me pause, but I probably wouldn't use either of these for solo hunting so that can be dispersed a bit. I'm now leaning toward the Cimarron, but really can't decide. Getting the Cimarron would also lean me in the direction of picking up a Hilleberg Akto or Enan for bomb proof solo late season expeditions.

Whisky

WKR
However, since I really don't use the poles for trekking, I was going to get some dedicated tent poles from Ruta Locura once I settled on the shelter. That would cut the weight down on the Mega to 33oz and Cimarron to 41oz.

Nice. Moving away from trekking poles i think and 6oz for a couple Megatarp poles is not too shabby at all.

For a dedicated 2 person shelter with or without stove Megatarp would not be my first choice. I'm looking to pick up something else for that purpose and the Sawtooth is probably it.

Wrongside

WKR
Done two plus stove and gear for extended periods in the LBO w/ standard vestibule and a original model BCS. The LBO is very snug and requires experienced users, while the BCS is roomy. The 3panel vestibule for the LBO will help with that quite a bit. I have used it with two & gear, but no stove. That'll change this bear season. Also planning for two and a stove in the LBO Base+Tarp+Base this coming sheep season. Should be piles of room!

Starting from scratch looking for a 2 man backcountry hunting shelter I'd be giving the SO Cimarron a long look...

Wrongside

WKR
Additionally- if you will also be looking for a solo shelter, the LBO is very tough to beat as a one shelter solution. Base+vestibule is a huge, but still light, and bomber solo setup. Then go with Base+Base or Base+Tarp+Base for trips with 2-4 people.

This is Seek Outside's BCS, plenty of room for two with stove and gear. In this photo the weather was good so our gear was just under a tree.
72c9eebfb23cb30e16aa64ba6ddf2c60_zpsbpyj1jkd.jpg

22338012aac8185d0503e6efd407cd1e_zpsc78ee223.jpg

I just ordered a bpwd Luna 6 in Silnylon. I have seen that some people have had issues in the past, but for the price I thought I'd give it a try. I did purchase a CF adjustable pole for when trekking poles arent available. I have seen great and bad reviews. Looked at a lot of floorless shelters and for the money and options available I thought it was a good deal.

For winter I prefer a hammock...easier to keep warm, sets-up almost anywhere and allows you to camp near your prey. For some less is more.

It's the size of a football:
nx150_inbag2.jpg

OP
G
For winter I prefer a hammock...easier to keep warm, sets-up almost anywhere and allows you to camp near your prey. For some less is more.

nx150_inbag2.jpg

Tough to squeeze two guys and a stove into though. But I guess it does meet the floor-less requirement!

Beastmode

WKR

nx150_inbag2.jpg

Looks like a tasty burrito for a grizzly
One of the guys I work with has a hammock and swears by it. I think it is a great option but not for all situations. A stove is an awesome addition for winter camping. It would be a long day waiting out a storm in one.