Bergera or ruger

What's yalls thoughts. Looking for a backup rifle. Trying to keep the Barrel under 20" due to suppressor. The LGS has these two rifles. It's primary role is mule deer and coyotes. I do reload.
Bergera b-14 ridge. 6.5 creedmore 18" Barrel $750
Ruger American "go wild" 6.5 creedmore or .243 16.1" Barrel. $600

Flyrodr

FNG
I bought that very model, the Ridge SP in 6.5CM last year. Can't compare it to the Ruger; no experience with it. But the Bergara is neatly finished, functions smoothly, and is accurate. It's just under 10 lbs. scoped. Used it for my first long distance school, and was well pleased with the results.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What's yalls thoughts. Looking for a backup rifle. Trying to keep the Barrel under 20" due to suppressor. The LGS has these two rifles. It's primary role is mule deer and coyotes. I do reload.
Bergera b-14 ridge. 6.5 creedmore 18" Barrel $750
Ruger American "go wild" 6.5 creedmore or .243 16.1" Barrel. $600
There is far more aftermarket support for the Remington 700 footprint actions. So whether you are wanting to upgrade the trigger or get yourself in a chassis they are easy to find parts for!

gtriple

WKR
I've got a Ruger American Go Wild in 308. It is very accurate for a $600 rifle. But the stock is junk and you'll want to drop another $200+ to get a decent stock. So just factor that in.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Unpopular opinion, I have a Ruger American Predator and I HAD a Bergara B-14. The Ruger shoots every load combo I've tried sub MOA, the Bergara took several combos to get to shoot sub consistently.

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Bergara 100%. Rugers feel like cheese graters, they still shoot well but not like my Bergara. I have the 18" B14 and its my go to for whitetail and truck gun.

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-11-21 10:36:35.892866.jpeg

Thover

FNG
If the go wild is anything like the American predator I have, it shoots fantastic. However, the mold seam on the stock is sharp, annoying and feels like a toy. Replacing the stock would probably fix any issues that I have with mine

OP
HuntInWild88
Well I'm the proud new owner of a b-14.
They had a 243 in the ruger. But the stock was garbage. The barrel already had rub marks on it from the stock.

The bergera just felt like a nicer rifle. It might end up in a chassis sooner than later. Next upgrade will be a bottom metal with detachable mag.

WVHick

FNG
Bergara. I’ve not seen fit and finish on any Ruger I’ve been impressed with outside of the No. 1

Thover

FNG
Bergara. I’ve not seen fit and finish on any Ruger I’ve been impressed with outside of the No. 1
There is something about the old m77 tang safety that draws me. The new m77 Hawkeyes still don’t feel the same as a tang safety or no 1

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm the proud new owner of a b-14.
They had a 243 in the ruger. But the stock was garbage. The barrel already had rub marks on it from the stock.

The bergera just felt like a nicer rifle. It might end up in a chassis sooner than later. Next upgrade will be a bottom metal with detachable mag.
The 123sst works well for me out of that 18” barrel at about 2750, I’ve have a lot of whitetail fall in their tracks.

Also one thing I experienced with my rifle was I did not see great accuracy till I had maybe 200rds down the pipe. I almost sold it until it really started shooting well. It went from steady 1moa down to .5-.25, I’m also shooting suppressed.

OP
HuntInWild88
The 123sst works well for me out of that 18” barrel at about 2750, I’ve have a lot of whitetail fall in their tracks.

Also one thing I experienced with my rifle was I did not see great accuracy till I had maybe 200rds down the pipe. I almost sold it until it really started shooting well. It went from steady 1moa down to .5-.25, I’m also shooting suppressed.
Thanks for the heads up. What suppressor are you running?
Care to share your recipe?
Have you found a specific distance off the lands that it likes? Did you settle on the SSt's because it was the most accurate or for another reason?

Longleaf

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the heads up. What suppressor are you running?
Care to share your recipe?
Have you found a specific distance off the lands that it likes? Did you settle on the SSt's because it was the most accurate or for another reason?
Omega 300.
Bergaras are throated LONG, I honestly can't remember if I measured them .002 off the lands or used the jump from my Bartlein barrel (so I could shoot this ammo in that gun too).
Ended up with the 123 SST because it was available at the time and wanted as much speed as possible with the 18" and the data is close enough to the 123 SMK so my BDC tape on my turret matches pretty close.

IMG_0767.jpeg
IMG_0768.jpeg

URE_G

FNG
Bergara.
Being a 700 clone you have a lot more availability in triggers, stocks and chassis available if you want to upgrade