Berger Elite Hunter and COAL vs chamber

MatukaJoe

FNG
I dont reload and I noted the Berger Elite Hunters state on their website that they may need to be single feed. I'd rather not have single feed. I see the COAL on their website. I contacted my rifle manufacturer and they refused to tell me if the overall cartridge will fit. They stated would void the warranty to give out that information. Ummm.. Okayyyyy. Again I am not reloading just looking to use an off-the-shelf option. How can I tell if it fits before buying? Thanks!

OP
MatukaJoe

MatukaJoe

FNG
Measure your magazine? I guess I’m not understanding.
Thanks, Internal box mag - I wasnt sure I could just stick a tape measure in there and get an accurate measurement etc. Its also a bit greek to me since I dont reload. Nor why the rifle manufacturer would refuse to state.

Gila

WKR
If it’s factory loaded ammo it should be loaded to saami spec and fit in a factory mag
That’s absolutely correct for COAL…Really, the EOL is an extremely long, heavy for a caliber, high BC bullet. Unless you have a short action cartridge that is designed to shoot the long bullets like the EOL (6.8 Western), you probably won’t find that bullet in factory ammo.

Actually Berger does make the ammo with the 156 gr EOL and the it is just under 3.0” COAL.

Last edited:
OP
MatukaJoe

MatukaJoe

FNG
That’s absolutely correct for COAL…Really, the EOL is an extremely long, heavy for a caliber, high BC bullet. Unless you have a short action cartridge that is designed to shoot the long bullets like the EOL (6.8 Western), you probably won’t find that bullet in factory ammo.

Actually Berger does make the ammo with the 156 gr EOL and the it is just under 3.0” COAL.
Yup that's what I am looking at.

OP
MatukaJoe

MatukaJoe

FNG
I guess I was just taken aback and a bit concerned when I saw Berger state may need single feed. Had me wondering if it would fit. I am shooting a bullet and cartridge right now that I redneck measured at 2 and 7/8" and it has zero issues.

Gila

WKR
I guess I was just taken aback and a bit concerned when I saw Berger state may need single feed. Had me wondering if it would fit. I am shooting a bullet and cartridge right now that I redneck measured at 2 and 7/8" and it has zero issues.
Fortunately 6.5 PRC is one of those cartridges designed to shoot the high BC heavies. The Berger ammo in 156 gr has a COAL of 2.955” which is the MAX SAMMI COAL of 2.955”. Should fit the DBM for any production rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC. I think the CS rep probably didn’t really know and possibly just wanted to move on to another call. I think you were correct to ask though. Berger may just be trying cover their butt. The bullet in the ammo is the ELITE HUNTER not the EOL. I stand corrected….

That is very cartridge and magazine specific. Try to fit a 6.5x284 with the EH or EOL bullets in a standard 2.8" short action magazine it's not going to play nice. With the PRC it's fine with the right magazine, especially on a long action.

That is some shameful input from Howa on this situation.