A health revolution brewing?

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
^^^this^^^^. Fat is brain food. Of course no government wants a smart populace.

My wife had followed the official narrative all her life. Had weight issues her entire life. Got so she couldn’t hardly negotiate stairs due to pain. She started researching the internet and decided to go keto. She’s not total keto or carnivore but she started eating a lot of bacon, beef fat, red meat (elk) and ditched the carbs, breads, fruits, most veggies. She has no problem with stairs, loads her kayak on top of her old Audi and goes kayaking and camping by her self. She’s actually thinking more critically. She said “ I’m so angry that I’ve been lied to all my life and have paid a terrible price for listening to the so-called experts”. It really is a crime, a crime that absolutely no one will ever accountable for
Possibly but lets not lose the forest through the trees. It's best to understand and use it to your advantage. No doubt our system is flawed but also does tremendous good.

I am glad Dr's were able to reattach my hamstring.
I am glad they saved my dad from presumptive colon cancer and death by removing polyps.
I am glad I was born in a hospital. Same for my daughter.
I could go on but you get the point.
Regarding trauma I’m a huge fanboy of Western Medicine

If I’m going to be hauled in all busted up I’ll pick America over virtually anywhere except maybe Germany.

Even regarding rehab though I will (and have) avoided their one-size-fits-all routine as well as their health care advice.

180ls1

WKR

If I’m going to be hauled in all busted up I’ll pick America over virtually anywhere except maybe Germany.

Even regarding rehab though I will (and have) avoided their one-size-fits-all routine as well as their health care advice.

I'm glad you found something that works. Rehab is no joke and I have lost quite a few friends. I know the recidivism rate is really high.

Yes we have great skills, medicines, and techniques for treat acute and rapid onset conditions. Our long term health systems are sub par.

Big Pharma isn't the only culprit. Our food system is broken so even if you want to eat better its really hard even for the motivated

fwafwow

WKR
Here's a link to Nina Teicholz on the JRE podcast. This is a few years old, but as mentioned above, Nina is a leading advocate related to improving our food and health systems, including to ensure the US Dietary Guidelines are based on science and either without conflicts, or at least with fully disclosed conflicts.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I think what makes it most difficult for the masses to eat healthy is lifestyle. Both parents needed to hold jobs to pay taxes and insurances, kids in extra curricular activities, little time or energy to prepare real food. Fast and or convenient food is not cheaper than good non-processed food.

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I'm glad you found something that works. Rehab is no joke and I have lost quite a few friends. I know the recidivism rate is really high.
I’m not discounting the value of rehab. I am discounting the “one size fits all” that I experienced. I’m confident that if I’d followed the doctor’s and PT’s advice I wouldn’t have recovered as quickly and completely as I did.
Those I know who did same also rehabbed quicker than those I know who followed the recommended protocol.

Sapcut

WKR
Now in my late 50s and having formerly worked in health care, i’ve anecdotally noticed a big uptick in chronic disease, immune disfunction, mental illness, and cancers, especially over the past 10-15 years. I’ve also been noticing these issues showing up in younger and younger people. (I now work with millennials and gen z). I have found this to be ironic in the face of all the medical advances that have taken place over the past couple of decades. My gut has been telling me something just isn’t adding up.

I recently stumbled upon an interview of a prominent physician who seems to have connected the dots related to the disconnects I was noticing. I’m half way through her book- Good Energy. Her name Casey Means.

Anyway, just throwing this resource on here in case you might be interested in an alternate view of how to address contemporary health needs that you or those you care about are dealing with. It’s revolutionizing my ideas of health and health care.

What you have and are noticing is actually old news that has been shunned and ignored for many years. This medical and health care corruption has been going on for quite a while. My sister was telling me about this very thing literally 20 years ago. She was a quadriplegic due to malpractice when she was 18 years old until her death at 60 last year. For 42 years she lived in a wheelchair and her bed. When in her chair, she studied healthcare, nutrition, and read health industry study after study for years and years. What she found was absolutely mind boggling (enough for me then to discount it as "tinfoil hat conspiracy"). Wrong....I swear it was and is true. At that time in its early stages of anyone becoming aware, you were a tinfoil hat person. But I'm telling you, so far everything my sister said has proved true. Now with maybe slightly less liberal control of the media outlets, this incredibly vital information is showing up for all to see.

The corruption between, big pharma, big food, medical school corriculum, health insurance companies, medical doctors and YOU the patient/customer....is a complete circle beginning with the customers health complaint ending with the customer paying more for insurance. There is not cost to anyone but YOU....in your slow suffering by intention and your finances.

The large majority of medical doctors don't know crap about human health and care nothing about your well being but instead your continued sickness management. They don't know because they were not taught it. If they were taught how to prevent and cure they would have not business.

Remember when the govt required hosptials to no longer do elective surgeries so hospital beds would be available for covid patients? They all nearly went completely out of business. It is a careless business not a healthcare business....whether one believes it or not.

Sapcut

WKR
I had some health issues after Covid. Have since cut out bread, processed food, and sugar and am back on track. Our food is literally killing us in this country.
I remember an accountant friend once told me long ago...."Every time you pass over a bridge, remember.......low bidder".

Regarding "our food...in this country", remember......SKU number.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another little anecdotal data point on why our nation is pretty unhealthy.

Our neighbors daughter has recently (as in the past year) decided to go vegetarian for ethical reasons. She's around 13. Which is fine, whatever. People are allowed to make their own choices, and I totally respect that.

Fast forward to yesterday. We were over at their house, and we happened to be talking about food in very general terms and how their daughter is now making her own lunches. My wife asked her what her favorite food item was, and it was these vegetarian "dino nuggets" - a plant based version of a chicken nugget. I'm not surprised to hear this, as I've seen it referenced by her a lot when it comes to food. In fact, I think every time we've gone over there for a dinner that's what she eats.

The daughter happened to be preparing her lunch for school tomorrow, and my wife asked to see the box of these nuggets. The first two items are canola oil and high fructose corn syrup 😳 my wife pointed it out to the mom (they're also good friends), and she just responds with "well she didn't go vegetarian for health reasons" - yeah, clearly :rolleyes:. The mom also said "well, she doesn't eat it that often", which I know is not the case from my own observations.

The conversation quickly moved on to something else. They are our friends, we love these people, and I'm not going to lecture them about their daughters diet. It's their job as parents to figure that out. But I bring it up to show how bad a lot of our food has become. In fact, I wouldn't even call these nuggets food, and I'm surprised it can be even legally sold as such. Most people wouldn't even feed their dogs something that had canola oil and high fructose corn syrup as the first two items.

Harvey_NW

WKR
But I bring it up to show how bad a lot of our food has become. In fact, I wouldn't even call these nuggets food, and I'm surprised it can be even legally sold as such. Most people wouldn't even feed their dogs something that had canola oil and high fructose corn syrup as the first two items.
It's quite disturbing when you really start labels; mayonnaise, ranch, big name canned soups, boxed meals, hell even mountain houses. Even a lot of the organic labeled stuff starts out with some sort of seed oil. We're either learning how to make those things at home, or cut them out entirely. It's ridiculous.

180ls1

WKR
It's quite disturbing when you really start labels; mayonnaise, ranch, big name canned soups, boxed meals, hell even mountain houses. Even a lot of the organic labeled stuff starts out with some sort of seed oil. We're either learning how to make those things at home, or cut them out entirely. It's ridiculous.

Yup, were getting blindsided. I remember when I first started tracking macros, I used to eat yogurt thinking its healthy only to realize that little cup cup had like 27g of sugar.... I still eat it but have switched to the greek stuff now.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Yup, were getting blindsided. I remember when I first started tracking macros, I used to eat yogurt thinking its healthy only to realize that little cup cup had like 27g of sugar.... I still eat it but have switched to the greek stuff now.
I started really honing in on cutting carbs and some of the stuff we used to eat at home thinking we were being healthier is terrible. Just something like a breaded chicken strip, a Knorr pack of broccoli cheese and rice, and a piece of sourdough cheese bread is an obnoxious amount of carbs. And of course, each of those labels has some sort of seed oil, modified starch, etc. in it.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider

Oh yeah.

The amount of sugars and highly processed oils in our pre-made food is absolutely disturbing.

Thankfully a lot of stuff is easy to make yourself, and the end result is actually better. I haven't made mayonnaise yet, but its incredibly simple. Only 4-5 ingredients I believe. I don't think ranch is too hard either, but if you want to buy it prepared a decent brand is Tobys. Best to avoid any pre-made sauces and salad dressings if you can.

An easy homemade salad dressing is extra virgin olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, fresh chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Shake and serve. I don't measure, but about 3 parts olive oil to balsamic, the rest to taste.

I love to cook and make my own food, so thankfully I'm not at the mercy of pre-made foods.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider

Most yogurt is terrible for you.

There are some quality greek yogurts available, thankfully. You can sweeten it with honey if needed.

JFK

WKR
Was in Sardinia Italy for two weeks this summer, and the diet over there is drastically different. My wife and I ate (and drank) more than usual. We both came back leaner. Simply put, they eat real food. Almost no shit in a package with long ingredient lists. Meat, seafood, cheese, vegetables, pasta, fruit. Fast food isn’t even a thing that exists over there. We mostly ate at restaurants but bought food in stores and well, and for the most part their food was cheaper too.

fwafwow

WKR
Most yogurt is terrible for you.

There are some quality greek yogurts available, thankfully. You can sweeten it with honey if needed.
I recently found Bellwether Farms yogurt. The ingredients: milk and live cultures. 3/4 cup (170g) has 5g total carbs, 3g of which is total (no added) sugars

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I believe we overthink food, supplements, etc way too much - and it seems people are beginning to catch on. Humans have been evolving for 200,000 years on the diet available to us over that timeframe. Processed food has been around for less than 75 years. Eat as much natural, non-processed, non-pesticide, hormone-free food as possible. This is what we are evolved to eat. Stay away from seed oil, it doesn’t make any sense… from an evolutionary perspective a seed has developed toxins to not be consumed. The flesh from seed bearing fruits and vegetables (and oil produced from the flesh like avocado oil) is generally fine because it evolved to attract predators to aid in pollination. It’s not really complicated…

OP
darcytribe
Oh yeah.

The amount of sugars and highly processed oils in our pre-made food is absolutely disturbing.

Thankfully a lot of stuff is easy to make yourself, and the end result is actually better. I haven't made mayonnaise yet, but its incredibly simple. Only 4-5 ingredients I believe. I don't think ranch is too hard either, but if you want to buy it prepared a decent brand is Tobys. Best to avoid any pre-made sauces and salad dressings if you can.

An easy homemade salad dressing is extra virgin olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, fresh chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Shake and serve. I don't measure, but about 3 parts olive oil to balsamic, the rest to taste.

I love to cook and make my own food, so thankfully I'm not at the mercy of pre-made foods.
Let us know if you end up coming up with a good recipe for mayo. I’m going to try your marinate recipe.