Bergara pressure issues(?) with factory ammo

SDHNTR

WKR
Also I bought a box of federal trophy copper which all chamber and eject smoothly, though I won’t be able to fire them until tomorrow.
Please don’t do that unless you’ve removed the firing pin!

Again, a caliper is probably going to be very helpful in answering your questions.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a very similar issue in mine and a buddies Bergara, both 7RM also. I never had mine casted or measured, but I'm curious if they let their reamers get under spec. My theory is either the variation is brass dimensions, or you're on the fine line of pressure and the volatility of mono's is letting you know.

I'm not sure the "volatility of monos" would play in factory loads that have been tested so they will work in every gun that has a standard chamber.

OP, the rounds that won't drop back in properly, if you rotate them a quarter turn or try dropping them in different orientations is there a point where they do drop in the chamber easier?

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
No they don’t seem to go in any easier in any orientation as best I can tell.

SDHNTR

WKR
Make a small hook out of an extended paper clip. Stick it down into the case and scratch along the inside of the case dragging upward over that trouble area identified by the sharpie. Does it grab? Or do you notice a notch inside the case?

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm not sure the "volatility of monos" would play in factory loads that have been tested so they will work in every gun that has a standard chamber.

OP, the rounds that won't drop back in properly, if you rotate them a quarter turn or try dropping them in different orientations is there a point where they do drop in the chamber easier?
Standard chamber indicates it's within tolerance, hence my comment about dealing with this issue and wondering if they let their reamers get under spec.

Thanks OP for the answers.

OP, be interested how the Federal factory ammo you mentioned fares if you were able to shoot today.

Could be a tight chamber even with a standard chamber that his gun should have, good point harvey_nw.

Ultimately, the ring the sharpie showed indicates excessive expansion down in the case head area. Whether that's bad brass or over pressure on those specific rounds, shooting the Federal Trophy Copper rounds should help with further diagnosis.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
Ordered a caliper off Amazon as I haven’t made time to get one, will update this again when I have it.

Today I put a box of federal trophy copper through it and everything functioned perfectly. Maybe the gun didn’t like them as much as I’d hoped but they fed, chambered and ejected flawlessly. I’m inclined to think it’s the brass and I should maybe complain to Barnes?

Would you just stay away from Barnes in this gun? The gun shot them pretty accurately so I’m thinking maybe measure them ahead of time? Or do you think it’s just a sign to stay away with this gun/chamber and brass combo?

I wouldn't avoid their ammo, even though this is a bummer of an experience with the first box you shot. Every once in a while, someone posts about similar issues with pressure and other brands of factory loads. I would contact Barnes and they should want to do what they can to make it right for you to get a replacement box.

In the end, it's up to you if you use their ammo again, but try to be made whole on the box you have that's giving problems.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
I’ve used Barnes before and it’s always accurate. Heck even these problem rounds shot fine. I’m going to call tomorrow.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’ve used Barnes before and it’s always accurate. Heck even these problem rounds shot fine. I’m going to call tomorrow.
I think you just got a bad batch. It happens with nearly all manufacturers from time to time. That said, a caliper is a handy tool any gun owner should own. Useful for diagnosing many issues. Knowing the difference in measurements might help you explain the problem to Barnes too.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Also, with any new gun that shoots factory ammo, you always want to try as many as possible offerings. Some guns just favor different stuff. Doesn’t make that ammo unilaterally good or bad, it’s just some doesn’t work as well in some rifle barrels. Try more types. 2 is not many. Hopefully you can find something that feeds like the Federals and shoots like the Barnes. Which may just be another box/lot of Barnes.