Benefits of a high end action

OP
AZGUY

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
My Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka, my Tikka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Try building a 300 Norma or 338 Lapua on a Tikka and report back. Call your dealer and order a Tikka with an integral rail and a real recoil lug that isn't flopping around in the stock, oh wait, they don't exist. I don't have a problem with Tikka, but they simply don't offer features that some shooters want. That's where custom XXXXXXXXXX comes into play and you can build whatever you want, not what some bulk MFG offers for the masses.
Thanks, I wasn't trying to base my question off Tikka vs the rest it was more just what advantages does a high end action offer vs some of the more basic offerings (Tikka, R700, Howa, etc). That offers some clarity.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
not much benefit for hunting, unless you get a lightweight action like the anti-x. For competition, there are a list of advantages! With that said, its worth it to alot of people to get exactly what they want in a rifle, and some people like nice things! A defiance and a rem700 or even a tikka action are not alike. One is like driving a Ford Vs a Chevy (kidding). more like a Camaro vs a corvette both get you from point a to b but one does it faster while looking and feeling better.

Mlutz

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Deviant Tenacity and a Kelby Atlas Tactically that are nice but I am currently waiting on a barrel for a Tikka I just purchased and here are a couple thoughts I have. After taxes, shipping, and FFL fees you are looking at around $1,000 for the cheapest custom action then bottom metal $150 and trigger $200 you are looking at around $1,400. I just bought a Tikka CTR brand new from Sportsman for $700 including tax and shipping and I am going to use the factory trigger and bottom metal. So at this point I am at half the cost and can hopefully recoup a little money on the stock and barrel.

Big question is are the custom actions worth the extra money and initially I say no. Now I haven't shot the Tikka yet but from my initial impression of the fit and finish and trigger feel I don't think custom is worth twice as much. Now if you just want custom that's another thing and they are nice but to me Tikka actions seem to be a great value.

I'm currently having the same internal debate and in searching came across this thread. I have always owned and shot factory rifles until a few years ago, I did a build on a savage just because that's what I had. I threw probably way too much money at it... yes it shoots and I have had great success hunting with it but I had to compromise in areas due to lack of availability of parts primarily a heavier stock. I do think if you are unsure of what you want it is good to build off something like a Tikka, savage etc and learn what you need or don't need in a rifle. Now I am looking to do another build and I am seriously considering selling my savage to buy a custom action.

Kurts86

WKR
For me the advantage to a high end action was the ability to bypass a gunsmith all together and screw it together in my garage. The time from ordering a between ordering the parts (in stock) and shooting the rifle was under 2 weeks. It saved close to a year of waiting and $500-$1000 vs using a gunsmith.

I did the semi custom route before modifying a factory rifle until only the receiver was left I was sitting with a $450 rifle’s action in $2,500 worth of other parts. It left things to be desired and I parted it out and sold it. Also getting a factory barrel off any action can only be described as a mechanical and mental brawl.

The defiance action itself is an R700 with 90% of its flaws fixed. The bolt handle still doesn’t lock and the bolt lift is still too long compared a 3 lug bolt. It’s a work of art and the nitrided finish is great. Otherwise it’s just a good foundation and a fraction of a cost of the build. It’s likely the part to stay around the longest so it should be great IMO.

Some people equate price with quality and/or performance.

Most of the time this is a valid correlation.

Some guys like to spend the money because it conveys status. Look at me, I own an XYZ.

I‘m a Tikka guy because I don’t care about status and I’m not going to get better performance no matter how much I spend.

But deep blued steel and gorgeous wood still catches my eye…

If you measure your shot groups by half an inch, you should understand why you need to judge your action by the thousandths of an inch.

As one person posted above: Building a rifle with your own hands using damn near custom built components will achieve greater returns. It's another trip down the rabbit hole on the trip to achieve the best results.

Spend what you want. Buy what you want. Build what you want. Thank God we have 1st world choices.

I've been around the horn on this one. Started with custom Remingtons, then moved on to other high-end actions. Then came the Tikkas, which have quite many of the perceived benefits custom actions tout (bolt throw, prefit barrels), and have a great factory trigger. As one who doesn't care for large magnum calibers, the Tikka action size is fine.

The largest negative for me is simply the lack of good stocks for the Tikka. The Manners EH1 is pretty decent mind you, but that's about it, and I've had a bunch of different stocks. Too much drop in the heel, or too low of a comb in almost all of them, and I personally hate adding a kydex cheek riser or stock pack to a $500-800 stock. Hate it. If Alterra starts making their stocks again though, I think I'd be happy to have 1 more options again.

The lack of stocks has made me start looking at building off an Origin, which I've had before and has a ton of bang for the buck.

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
They look friggen cool, is one y’all missed. Yes, they have the ability to customize out the wazzu, triggers, stocks , barrels etc, but if you want custom why not get something unique.

I’m pretty much a one hunting gun guy. I sold my prized model 83 freedoms arms pistol chambered in 454 this year, because I can’t see well enough to take animals humanly any more, and there was no way I was putting a telescope on single action army clone. I hunted w that pistol for close to twenty years exclusively. IMO, it was as fine a revolver as one can buy. I legit used to pet it, the fit and finish was crazy impressive.

I wanted something that would give the same reaction when I picked it up, so I went w a custom action ( Arc nucleus ) for my build. My action is straight up slick and it makes me smile just holding it. I don’t think I would have been as pleased with an off the shelf action, I would have probably kicked myself for being cheap, which I’m prone to be.

We are all different, I’m glad we have so many options. When finished, my gun will be sexy, that matters to me.

gbflyer

WKR
I have Bordens, Bighorns, Kelblys. They’re all nice. I take my Tikka to the woods. You could freeze it in a block of ice and it would still probably work. A little sand in the wrong place and the customs are a walking stick.

rayporter

WKR
3 BATS and 2 Kelblys and 4 tuned rem 700s. the remys will drill em at 1000yd. but i hunt with a plain jane 700. i just dont think a custom will gain enough to justify the cost. that said, if you want one, get it. it will be your pride and joy.

Followup question, do you hand load? If you don’t, what’s the point of a high-end build if you’re not going to use custom loads?

P

You don't need "custom" loads with high end build. Yes, it's not going to hurt but you sure don't need them. I say this after buying/using a LRI built/blueprinted R700 w/carbon barrel with multiple brands of off the shelf ammunition. I thought I had an ammo problem, I figured out it was my setup. I opened up the barrel channel on my stock to help get the groups tighter. Seems to be working much better now. I still got a bunch of other ammo to go try out.

Sure I could "invest" in a reloading setup, but if one can't be happy with 1"MOA or less groups from boxed ammo than sure go get into reloads. Dig through posts about ammo recipes, buy a chrono, get out to the range...etc etc etc. We all have our own rabbit trail to run down.

You don't need "custom" loads with high end build. Yes, it's not going to hurt but you sure don't need them. I say this after buying/using a LRI built/blueprinted R700 w/carbon barrel with multiple brands of off the shelf ammunition. I thought I had an ammo problem, I figured out it was my setup. I opened up the barrel channel on my stock to help get the groups tighter. Seems to be working much better now. I still got a bunch of other ammo to go try out.

Sure I could "invest" in a reloading setup, but if one can't be happy with 1"MOA or less groups from boxed ammo than sure go get into reloads. Dig through posts about ammo recipes, buy a chrono, get out to the range...etc etc etc. We all have our own rabbit trail to run down.

High end rifle with factory ammo is like dating a hot stripper and making her wear baggy sweats all the time.

I don’t get interested in handloads until they get below 0.4” or so. If a guy is happy with MOA at factory velocity (often waaaay overstated, in my experience) what’s the point?

P