Benchmade

Trez1013

FNG
I have been using replacement blade knives and am looking at going back to fix blades. Thinking of going with the benchmade altitude or the saddle mountain skinner? Im going with benchmade because I get really good discounts. I am hoping to good feedback/reviews. Thanks for the help/advice!

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I have handled both but have never used either. I would go by the steel of the two knives. The sv30 steel on the Saddle Mountain Skinner will be significantly easier to sharpen then the steel on the Altitude. The Altitude will weigh less obviously. Personally, I prefer knives that are easier to sharpen, so I am avoiding some of the new super steels for that reason. YMMV.

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
The altitude holds a edge great and not bad to touch up!

hodgeman

WKR
I've got a few Benchmades... they're very difficult to sharpen in the field. For that matter, I usually use a Havalon for working down critters. Super steel is nice, until it's dull.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few BM knives and, surprisingly, my favorite is the Saddle Mountain. It’s size is deceiving, but it is easy to handle, easy to maintain and sharpen, and can do nearly everything that a larger skinner can do with a little practice. I’ve used it on a couple of large animals and it’s the only skinning knife I carry now.

I have been working on a new knife design using s90v and am really happy with the steel. It would be difficult to sharpen in the field but you should never have to do that. Personally, I don't think there is a chasm of difference in sharpening between s30v and s90v but the edge retention is significant.

With a fresh edge the blade just falls through skin and meat. The biggest way to keep a good edge is to keep the blade off of bone.

I have handled the altitude and am a little suspicious about breaking down a larger animal with it just due to the scaleless design. It would probably cause my hand to cramp after a little while.

Keep in mind you need diamond stones to sharpen the super steels.

I have handled the altitude and am a little suspicious about breaking down a larger animal with it just due to the scaleless design. It would probably cause my hand to cramp after a little while.

Count me in this camp. A good knife comes down mainly to the blade and the handle. Going without a decent handle saves weight but at the expense of a comfortable grip. Not a big deal for some but when I select a knife or other tool for important work I always consider the grip.

WyoElk

WKR
I’m using a saddle mountain skinner in conjunction with a havalon. Probably don’t need both but they each serve a purpose.

If I had to choose only 1 it would be the saddle mountain. It inspires more confidence but I sure do like using to havalon to skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T28w

WKR
I have the saddle Mountain and the hidden canyon and prefer the saddle mountain. That being said I have only used it with deer. The hidden canyon was ok and I ended up keeping it because I used it on a couple deer and now it pretty much stays in my duck blind bag and just gets used to fillet out duck breast.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really happy with my benchmades but have had great luck with a few different kestrels. Seem sharper out of the box and hold an edge better than my s30v knifes. I much prefer the shape and the handle on them. I've overall been pretty happy with my Benchmade steep country. I agree with WyoElk though as light weight as a havalon is I typically carry both. Having the bigger havalon with the bone saw blade has came in handy more than once.

I went from a Havalon to the Saddle Mountain and love it. Broke down 2 deer before I even touched it up. Just a few swipes on a ceramic rod and its as good as new.

Linedawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have had good luck with a benchmade steep country deboned a cow elk and would still shave hair with the belly of the knife.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Having a knife with steel that is hard to sharpen in the field but stays sharp through a whole elk is great until you have to break down 2 or 3 elk in a row. I'm not personally a fan of ultralight knives like the altitude, but if I was, I'd strongly consider the Esee Izula over the altitude at a huge reduction in price.

mcseal2

WKR
I have both. The Altitude is a nice for finer work and capable of a whole animal. It's not the most comfortable to my hands doing a whole animal with it's small handle. I sure wouldn't personally want to do anything bigger than a deer with just that knife. I prefer a full handle and a 4"-4.5" blade for breaking down an animal. The Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner does that well. It's a bit thicker tip than I like on my perfect game knife, but it does a nice job. The Saddle Mountain hunter would probably be a better design for breaking an animal down once it is skinned. It has less belly for skinning but a thinner, pointier, tip and a thinner blade. I held one up against the Zero Tolerance 452 I carry a lot and the blade shape is almost identical. It should have the same strengths and weaknesses of that knife. If you want to split the difference of the two you mentioned look at the Steep Country. I haven't tried that knife but people who do seem to like it.

Dirty-D

Lil-Rokslider
I have 5 or 6 SV30 benchmades and one sv90.

they both take some work to get sharp, but both hold and edge really good once you have it there. diamond stones and leather strops are your friend.

I would be more concerned with how you are going to use it and handle ergomonics. I have an altitude on order, I've handed them in the store before, it s a good knife for certain tasks, but I don't know how good it will be as a general use knife for everything. probably won't be doing alot of batoning firewood with it =]

Beendare

WKR
I have this Benchmade Steep Country with the S30v blade and its just about the perfect knife. Light, grippy, blade stays sharp through an elk. I did have to polish the steel squares on the back of the handle so they don't snag my latex gloves [me, being very picky]

I have a few different particle steel knives from Carpenter, CPM and Bohler that I like...... including an S90v but its a folder and I prefer the fixed handle. These steels from those 3 are really fantastic and head and shoulders better than the cheaper steel out there.