Beginner Traditional Bow

No_Murphy

FNG
I am looking at buying a traditional recurve bow. I currently shoot compound and am wanting to get in to traditional as well. I have been looking at the Black Hunter Recurve set and wondered if anyone has had good luck with it. Not necessarily hunting with it, but just practicing and getting the hang of it. Not sure if I need to find a used recurve that could be used as a hunting bow, or just go with something like the black hunter and when I am ready then upgrade.

Also, I will probably get left handed. I currently shoot right handed, but I am left eye, right hand dominant and I assume it will be easier for me to aim shooting left handed so I don't have to close my eye. Will get a 40-45 pound bow since I have never shot lefty.

bisblue

WKR
If your draw length is 28" or below black hunter is awesome.
I would get a #35 bow starting out, it's so do different poundage wise.

thejones

WKR
I just recently picked up a black hunter bow, and I am impressed. For a starter bow, you will not do any better. Pick up a light set of limbs with it, 35-40 # and then get a set of hunting weight limbs. You will not need any "more" bow than a the black hunter. Although be warned, traditional archery is addictive and if it gets its hooks in you, you will own additional bows. Enjoy the experience and don't over-bow yourself at the start.