Beet Root Powder?

Crusader

WKR
Hi guys. Before I get to my question, just a little background info on me for introduction purposes. I'm 62, will be 63 in July. Been athletic/active my whole life. Been hunting (whitetails, turkeys, small game) for 50 years or so. Live in MO and have farm property to hunt. Have been on a small handful of western hunts over the last 10 years or so, want to do more as tag access and health allow. Will retire from work next year, hope/intend to do more western hunts and hiking trips then. Could have posted this in the nutrition sub-forum but figured I'd give this one a shot, asking fellow oldsters.

Anyway, I've had my share of physical ailments/odds and ends over the years; procedures include some for plantar fasciitis, tennis elbow, thumb arthritis (LRTI procedure), knee arthroscopies, thumb fusion. Knees occasionally give me some pains here and there, but hope they will never have to be replaced. I have been a vitamin and supplement taker for decades, feeling like and believing they help. I have high cholesterol (hereditary) and acid reflux, both of which I take meds for. Blood pressure is in upper range of normal. I recently came across an article about beet root powder as a supplement that MAY help in several areas, including energy level and blood pressure. I know most supplements are not FDA-tested and those that have studies done on them are typically not all that conclusive. That said, the stuff seems pretty cheap (capsules from Amazon) and so I'm interested. Have any of you guys taken it as a supplement and if so, what are your results/takeaways?

Thanks,
Crusader (Jim)

Beet juice/powder made the circles in the endurance world a couple years ago, but I don't see/hear much about it now. It is supposed to improve performance by increasing blood flow as a vasodilator.

I too am looking at this. I tried one brand and man i couldnt joke it down. I was looking for a better preworkout then the most that are loaded with caffeine.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
Beet juice/powder made the circles in the endurance world a couple years ago, but I don't see/hear much about it now. It is supposed to improve performance by increasing blood flow as a vasodilator.
I'm in my late 40s and have been using the capsules (Walmart) for years as a pre-workout supplement before lifting. I definitely see results in the vasodilator area (visually see it in my arms). By default, it should help lower blood pressure, but I've never taken an actual measurement.

manitou1

WKR
I too have been physically active all my life and hike/ hunt the miuntains a lot now. Spent 35 years in the military.
It lowered my BP well. I have been on BP med for a few years but after three weeks of taking the capsules my BP is the best it has been in five years! (118/76, not bad for a 61 year old)
I started taking it to see if it would help my BP, which was borderline high... running around 135-140/80-90.
Unexpected "side effects" for me are very noticeable: Got rid of my "brain fog", more energy, and I require less sleep. Note: Take it in the a.m. if you plan to sleep at night, lol.
I don't know if my results are normal, but I sure hope the they continue.
The directions on my container call for 3 capsules 2x a day, but I only take 2 calsules each a.m.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might have to look into the capsules. As mentioned above, the ultra community was getting pretty excited about beet juice, enough so I tried some. My wife warned me that I don't even like beets and that beet juice is bound to be worse- holy hell, was she right!!!! I'd plug my nose, but it was still brutal getting down.

Capsule would be worth giving it another shot :)

inyago

FNG
Beetroot is good for your liver and this organ is real important for good health. Replace some potato with them
and it will also help the waist line..

Ratamahatta

Lil-Rokslider
The brand from Walmart you can drink by itself. The brand from Big Lots well I hope you really like the taste of acid reflux because that's what it tastes like.

Just be aware that large doses of some products can turn your urine pink and your stools maroon. Ive seen some that thought they were peeing blood.

Weldor

WKR
Been using Spring valley 1000 mg caps for about 4 yrs. Helped alittle with blood pressure. Seems to work as advertised!

DuckDogDr

WKR
I just ordered some.
There are some papers and studies showing positive results with pumpkin seed oil too

Neptune

FNG
Not usually interested in herbal anything, but I did start using beet powder this week and actually started to notice more energy or maybe alertness. I haven't checked for any effect on BP yet. The only other herbal stuff that I take are turmeric pills - they have had a profound effect on back arthritis/pain.

CCooper

WKR
I have been taking human-n superbeets heart chews instead of the powder and is more tolerable from an ingesting standpoint IMO.

Aviator

WKR
I use the force factor brand from Walmart it has lowered my blood pressure some and seems to give you more stamina while working out or hiking.

rodney747

WKR
Not usually interested in herbal anything, but I did start using beet powder this week and actually started to notice more energy or maybe alertness. I haven't checked for any effect on BP yet. The only other herbal stuff that I take are turmeric pills - they have had a profound effect on back arthritis/pain.
What brand, dose, etc. if you don't mind sharing. The arthritis in both of my hands and wrists are getting close to unbearable at times just doing light ranch work and things like skinning a deer. I'm sure looking for some relief! Thanks

manitou1

WKR
Just be aware that large doses of some products can turn your urine pink and your stools maroon. Ive seen some that thought they were peeing blood.
Ha, funny story. Some years ago a group of us co-workers were out and about and had stopped at a convenience store. They came out with these deep blue icee drinks (shaved ice type) and had bought me one.
We drank the things and we all had blue lips and tongues upon returning to work.

The next day I had forgotten about the icee thing and after having a bowel movement I noticed my poop was neon green... like nearly glowing. I was in a state of panic, just knowing I was experiencing liver failure or colon cancer or some other abomination.
I called my wife (a nurse) and conveyed my experience to her. She calmly asked what I had eaten and drank recently. Anything out of the ordinary? When I thought back to the day prior and the neon blue drink you can just imagine the humbling bellittlement I experienced from her!
We laughed about that for quite a while.

I started taking them for my elk hunting trip in CO this year. Didn't really notice much difference. Then when we came back we went out for the night and had a few drinks, not much. Man did it hit me, my wife and sons thought it was pretty funny as they never have seen me so hammered after just a couple of drinks. 2 weeks later went out to dinner and had some wine and a few drinks, hammered again. My wife and I got a bit nervous. The only difference in my workouts and diet was the beet pills. Stop taking them and back to normal. Only thing I can figure is they do open your blood vessels so maybe this had an affect on alcohol uptake?????

I've never had a supplement affect me like this.

manitou1

WKR
I started taking them for my elk hunting trip in CO this year. Didn't really notice much difference. Then when we came back we went out for the night and had a few drinks, not much. Man did it hit me, my wife and sons thought it was pretty funny as they never have seen me so hammered after just a couple of drinks. 2 weeks later went out to dinner and had some wine and a few drinks, hammered again. My wife and I got a bit nervous. The only difference in my workouts and diet was the beet pills. Stop taking them and back to normal. Only thing I can figure is they do open your blood vessels so maybe this had an affect on alcohol uptake?????

I've never had a supplement affect me like this.
You may be on to something. I don't drink very often but have noticed I seem to be a lot more affected by alcohol the past year when I do drink. Like hammered with just two or three drinks!