Bedding Advice

I recently picked up a Ruger M77 tang safety as a project to work on. It came with a Ramline stock so I’m trying to make the best out what I have to work with. The stock is fairly stiff but the fit is rather loose. I have never bedded an action before so I have been researching heavily, but between the ramline layout and the Ruger recoil lug, I’m not sure how to go about it. There is quite a bit of back and forth play so I’m hoping bedding the lug will tighten things up. The the bottom of the lug currently contacts the stock, so I am planning to remove some stock material and tape the bottom of the lug to give clearance. Then bed the front of the lug to help eliminate the slop. Maybe bed a little of the tang? I am thinking about floating the barrel also, but am concerned with there being no support under the first few inches of barrel since the stock is hollow. Not sure if that’s a valid concern or not. I am just curious how others that have more experience than me would go about it. I’d love to hear some thoughts, most which I’m sure will be “ditch the ramline” haha.
22a728a6a4363c7334499ebf21c6ab5d.jpg

0f7043475cee9dc3238429e7506314c9.jpg

92258645a6da441c35f41593dd920d45.jpg

8f9946c0e70f0422e9b95092f6fc0081.jpg

607ba5043a64aa0a56736c8a1c41ad47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
beerbucksducks
10 shot groups are about 2.2” at 100. 5 shots right around an inch. So it’s not awful but definitely room for improvement. It’s not the factory stock, so I wouldn’t say there’s a pressure point, but the barrel contacts the sides of barrel channel for the last 6” or so.

Mag_7s

WKR
The best advice I can give is do as much learning as you possibly can, and don't rush the process. The barrel dam was probably the most tricky part for me to get right. Give the bedding compound more than enough time to properly cure. @andyaz is correct, some rifles have pressure points on purposes (i learned the hard way).
This article was probably the most helpful when i was learning how to bed recievers and bottom metal. https://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html
Feel free to ask any questions.

OP
beerbucksducks
Thanks guys! I’m not sure what to do on the recoil lug. There is no “channel” on this ramline stock. It’s just a step that the rear of the lug sets against, nothing at the front of the lug. I’m wondering if removing some material under the lug and bedding the front of the lug will be enough to eliminate the front/back play.

Mag_7s

WKR
I've only bedded R700 actions, so I have no experience with the M77. I would think that you can still bed that action. Most of the process is should be exactly the same just may have a few different steps or areas of caution.

Rob5589

WKR
The problem I experienced with trying to bed a cheap plastic stock (Rem 700) was the bedding material would not adhere. I would scuff it well and make sure it is 100% free of any cleaning chemicals or the like.

OP
beerbucksducks
Planning on picking up a Dremel to help remove material and scuff up the plastic. I did a test run yesterday with a piece of scrap flat bar and a piece of 1/8” plastic to make sure the jb weld and shoe polish were going to work. Came apart easily and the jb stuck well, so that’s what I’m going to use.

I bedded a few stocks this winter, shoe polish was the only release agent that actually worked. Nothing worse than accidentally gluing everything together without a trigger.

Jb weld works, but pro bed 2000 is a little easier to work with and the black will match your stock perfectly.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Jb (not the quick version) is reasonable. It has a higher shrink than 10110 or marinetex....but it's acceptable.

You'll want mechanical locks such as shallow holes in the stock at angles that oppose the direction of recoil and action removal.....which is trickier on a 77 due to the angle lug.

Degrease with dawn dish soap, rough up with 80 to 36 grit and do not expect adhesion any place with less than approximately .050" bedding material.

Plug EVERYTHING on the action and apply release to the action. I use Johnson paste wax.

On a ramline, you have a flexible stock by smith standards. To use a flexible stock or a non laminated wood stock for pressure is inconsistent at best. I'd float the snot out of it to avoid any issues.

Have 30 q tips and some wd40 diesel handy to clean up the wet bedding material.

It's not too tough. Just make sure to use plenty of putty for the stock trigger and safety locations so you don't have to grind it out.

Scotto

WKR
^Some good advice here ^. I also used Johnson paste wax as the release agent. I used the Acraglas bedding compound, but my project was with the Boyds wood stock. Good luck on the project.

OP
beerbucksducks
Good info, thanks! From what I’ve read, I don’t want to bed behind the lug. Just leave that surface bare for the lug to contact? Is that consistent with how you guys do it?

Pretty good 77 tutorial.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Good info, thanks! From what I’ve read, I don’t want to bed behind the lug. Just leave that surface bare for the lug to contact? Is that consistent with how you guys do it?

No the back of the lug is critical and should definitely be bedded. The concept is stress free/consistent interaction between the stock and action. The recoil lug transfers the recoil force to the stock. You want no movement there.

MattB

WKR
10 shot groups are about 2.2” at 100. 5 shots right around an inch. So it’s not awful but definitely room for improvement. It’s not the factory stock, so I wouldn’t say there’s a pressure point, but the barrel contacts the sides of barrel channel for the last 6” or so.

I would be inclined to relieve that first and see how it shoots. It does sound like that rifle would benefit from bedding.