Bedded or not bedded?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Preference would be bedded, but usually the animal, weather, time of day and how many days of hunting dictates what I will do. I will attempt any stalk if I have a reasonable chance of making it happen. If I wait for what I prefer every time, I may only get one or two stalks a trip, and those are not the odds I want.

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
While I agree that the preferred and ideal situation is to stalk a bedded buck, I have found the time of year dictates the possibility of that happening as well. Some of the later archery seasons that run in November and December have bucks constantly on the move, making an ambush set up the more effective method.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That is a great point Tyler- getting a buck to bed for more than a few minutes during those seasons is tough and one reason I gave up on late archery hunnts, (for now).

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
It can definitely be frustrating, but at the same time a lot of fun. There certainly is no shortage on the action!

400out

FNG
Bedded deer just leaves lots less to chance IMO would much rather tail a deer for a bit and wait for him to lay down then make my move.