Beaver hunt in Utah, literally

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Next to nobody is trapping beaver anymore because they aren't worth anything unless the landowner is paying. Buy some 330s, most days checking beaver traps it's not if you got one but how many. Look for bank dens with entrances that have hard bottoms. I don't eat them but feed them to my dogs and use for lure. I'm sure they are good though.
LOVE to hear it. More for me. I kinda have a fantasy of building a gaming/work chair out of pelts/hides. Long shot being I have none yet but it shouldn’t be too hard. Think quilt of a million critters. Deer hide, mink, coyote, fox, and the star of the show, beaver
Next to nobody is trapping beaver anymore because they aren't worth anything unless the landowner is paying. Buy some 330s, most days checking beaver traps it's not if you got one but how many. Look for bank dens with entrances that have hard bottoms. I don't eat them but feed them to my dogs and use for lure. I'm sure they are good though.
LOVE to hear it. More for me. I kinda have a fantasy of building a gaming/work chair out of pelts/hides. Long shot being I have none yet but it shouldn’t be too hard. Think quilt of a million critters. Deer hide, mink, coyote, fox, and the star of the show, beaver

erocs_88

FNG
What he said.

I used to do ADC work for the Gov and would often turn down beaver jobs because I was too busy trapping other stuff. Call fish and game, I bet they get calls with complaints. Beavers are good to cut your teeth on because they are relatively easy to trap. Unless they've been slapped by a 330. Then I had good luck setting snares, with a good swivel and lock stop. If you miss they just knock your snare over and are none the wiser. Obviously be smart about where you set snares or 330s. You can learn yourself but it would be good to find someone to go with. I bet you can find someone to take you but might have better luck on a trapping forum, or going to your local trapper association banquet.

MJB

WKR
As a kid in GA I shot a bunch at night from the canoe......made a bedspread with them for the winter never ate them on purpose but some roadside vendors sold roadkill stew that was great and had lots of beaver meat in it.

Considering what they eat their hide and meat is really greasy. I ruined my mom's washing machine doing too many hides at once.

And they are know to kill dogs that get into their den so watch out......we would destroy the damn then wait for them to come out to fix it then a quick head shot.

Beaver trapping is fun and was a great change of pace from my traditional outdoor activities. Pick up 3 Duke, Belisle, or Victor 330 conibears and spend some time this winter scouting ponds and creeks. Lodges on ponds will be easier to find, but also look for chewed trees and then have a game plan for spring. The fresher the better.

Trapping through the ice as a first timer will be difficult, so if you are just looking for meat sooner rather than later, find the closest trapping conservation group near you and start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
Trapping beaver for landowners often gets you on good bobcat trapping. My Dad and I would trap problem beavers for access to bobcats. We'd cut the back straps and hind legs out and bbq them. It's great table fare imo.
Talk to local farmers/ranchers and read up on beaver trapping. It's fun and you'll learn a ton. Be smart with 330's as you'll learn. Scent mounds with a foothold is fun too.
Creek bottoms are great for other critter trapping too.
Good luck and get after it.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
What he said.

I used to do ADC work for the Gov and would often turn down beaver jobs because I was too busy trapping other stuff. Call fish and game, I bet they get calls with complaints. Beavers are good to cut your teeth on because they are relatively easy to trap. Unless they've been slapped by a 330. Then I had good luck setting snares, with a good swivel and lock stop. If you miss they just knock your snare over and are none the wiser. Obviously be smart about where you set snares or 330s. You can learn yourself but it would be good to find someone to go with. I bet you can find someone to take you but might have better luck on a trapping forum, or going to your local trapper association banquet.
Love this idea! I’m a bit transient with work currently and would like to be able to only use 1-2 traps and spend more days, not necessarily looking to cover all of Europe’s heads, just grab a couple hams & pelts 😅😂

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
I guess this is better than the guy trying to eat coyotes
That’s a mistake, no way dog of any kind is a move. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve eaten and weirdest thing you’ve liked? I hit squirrel, bunny, and gave as second try to cat fish this year. Learned to love em’ all!

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
As a kid in GA I shot a bunch at night from the canoe......made a bedspread with them for the winter never ate them on purpose but some roadside vendors sold roadkill stew that was great and had lots of beaver meat in it.

Considering what they eat their hide and meat is really greasy. I ruined my mom's washing machine doing too many hides at once.

And they are know to kill dogs that get into their den so watch out......we would destroy the damn then wait for them to come out to fix it then a quick head shot.
Hats off to you sir! Sounds like an incredible experience, besides ruining a washer… I ruined the interior to a car with spilt minnows. Great to get out into the outdoors, less great to bring it in with ya!

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Beaver trapping is fun and was a great change of pace from my traditional outdoor activities. Pick up 3 Duke, Belisle, or Victor 330 conibears and spend some time this winter scouting ponds and creeks. Lodges on ponds will be easier to find, but also look for chewed trees and then have a game plan for spring. The fresher the better.

Trapping through the ice as a first timer will be difficult, so if you are just looking for meat sooner rather than later, find the closest trapping conservation group near you and start there.

You bring up some really good points! Dam 🦫 kinda forgot they shelter tight in winter, but water seems to flow free around here during the winter. Second comment about the groups, probably a smart place to start!

After reading about Lewis and Clark’s expedition I’ve wanted to try beaver also, allegedly the tail was the choice part.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
After reading about Lewis and Clark’s expedition I’ve wanted to try beaver also, allegedly the tail was the choice part.
Mr. Rogan thought tail was sick, but the meat is great apparently! I’m all in, just navigating a nonresident forbearing license 😅 maybe I should stay quiet so you buggers don’t run up the costs & create lotteries 😜

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
There’s an app for that. SLC is prime territory. If you set the search parameters just right you can hunt beaver and cougar at the same time.

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
There’s an app for that. SLC is prime territory. If you set the search parameters just right you can hunt beaver and cougar at the same time.

The quality of the thread is degrading 😂

tuffcity

WKR
If you have open water and need a pretty good "dog friendly" set this rig up works well. Especially if you set in deeper water with a current. This is set upstream of a beaver lodge.

There are 2 notches in the back of the V that holds a Belisle 330
5oPuMKH.jpg

It's then tethered to shore with a few willow branches for bait.
VCmi19E.jpg

fz9lmEV.jpg

OP
ProStaffSteve

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
If you have open water and need a pretty good "dog friendly" set this rig up works well. Especially if you set in deeper water with a current. This is set upstream of a beaver lodge.

There are 2 notches in the back of the V that holds a Belisle 330
5oPuMKH.jpg

It's then tethered to shore with a few willow branches for bait.
VCmi19E.jpg

fz9lmEV.jpg
Super interesting stuff & im envious of your system as I sit with beef in my crockpot instead of drainage donkey. So, novice moment, does castor bring in more dogs presumably? And for your willow branches, do they need to be a particular size or pedigree for beavers to be into them? Can’t help but notice you choose some skinny straggly ones. How about the building materials, will one stump deter beaver?