Bearded bowhunters!

Good morning,

I'm trying to get my shooting dialed in on the new Pro Defiant 34...problem is my damn beard, I can't seem to get a repeatable anchor point, and when I stretch out past 60, I can get some wild arrows....

help! I don't want to have to get rid of the beard, but it isn't looking good at this point as far as shooting goes. For some reason, 60 and in feels good.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Are you using a kisser button? My beard is pretty big but its actually my stach that seems to get in the way but the kisser button makes it much easier to deal with lol. As I draw back I'm just careful to try to get the button under the stach rather than on top.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Jacob Chapman
Are you using a kisser button? My beard is pretty big but its actually my stach that seems to get in the way but the kisser button makes it much easier to deal with lol. As I draw back I'm just careful to try to get the button under the stach rather than on top.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am not, haven't tried a kisser button before. My normal anchor point (first knuckle of my pointer finger behind my jaw on that pressure point) isn't working due to the beard. I may have to try a kisser button

mrgreen

WKR
I've had a beard since around 3rd Grade, or so it seems. I used a kisser button for years, worked pretty good. I have a new Hoyt Defiant without a kisser button. I use a Carter wrist-strap release so I anchor my thumb knuckle along my jaw line (probably where you place your index knuckle), and the bowstring on the tip of my nose. This gives me three points of reference, peep, bowstring to nose, and thumb on jawline. I'm finding this is more reliable then the kisser button.

mrgreen

WKR
It seems beards have been the rage for the past 10 years or so. Dare to be different........shave it.;)

Ha! I'm not daring enough to see what's under there!

But, if I did shave, and let my hair grow....that would be one heck of a disguise!

OP
Jacob Chapman
Ha! I'm not daring enough to see what's under there!

But, if I did shave, and let my hair grow....that would be one heck of a disguise!

I look like I'm 14 when I do shave, so I'd rather not chance it if I don't have too. hoping that kisser button works!

Brendan

WKR
Where does the string fall when you're at full draw? Right at the very tip of your nose, or does it come further back than that or "bury" into your nose?

If it comes further back - you could experiment with shortening up your draw length and lengthening your loop or release to lessen some of the interference you're getting.... (IMO - good advice for anyone regardless of having a beard....)

OP
Jacob Chapman
String hits my nose at full draw, however I do have to lean my head forward. Problem is becoming that I can't have my bino harness on or else the string catches!

OP
Jacob Chapman
I'm trying to avoid pressure on my face at all, don't want to influence the path of the string. becoming an issue with my dang beard.

How long is your beard? I was having the same type of issue with mine and also it was tearing hair out on the shot, I ended up trimming it down, much more than I had anticipated which bummed me out but did improve my shooting. Its been a month or so since I've trimmed it and last night I noticed I was having a harder time finding a consistant anchor. Looks like today its gonna get another trim. Whatever you do dont shave it brother!!

OP
Jacob Chapman
It's pretty good size. I have red hair, which apparently means that my beard has to grow out, rather than down. I can't my wife would kill me....course she chopped off all of her hair against my wishes lol!

I'm so glad you started this post, as I almost asked this same question a few days ago. I haven't shot much in the last few months, and also haven't shaved since February. When I shot the other day for the first time, I immediately noticed I couldn't hit my anchor like normal. I still shot well, but I can't shake that feeling that the sideways pressure of a beard on my string is going to affect accuracy.

String hits my nose at full draw, however I do have to lean my head forward. Problem is becoming that I can't have my bino harness on or else the string catches!

I think if you're having issues with a typical bino harness, your draw length or form could need some work. I'm no expert but this stood out to me.

My girlfriend was the same way till I had to shave it to be fitted for a, SCBA for the fire department. How much grooming do you do of your beard? I have found that mine laid flatter when I used oils and conditioner. Occasionally I would use a balm to hold it down more. If you can, I only washed it with shampoo once a week, since it will strip out the oils, dry shampoo will let you go longer also. My girlfriend is a hair dresser so she had a pretty good idea of what I needed to do to maintain it. I kept the sides trimmed down trimmed it off just below the curve in my jaw.