Bear meat

I primarily archery hunt for blacktail deer and over the last few seasons have had 2 bear encounters while hunting deer (also during legal bear season)with bear within 15 yards both times. I didnt have a tag and while I was watching them each time I thought to myself how they were easily within my killzone and I went unnoticed both times. Hunting bear interests me and were I hunt I see alot of bear and bear sign. I actually saw 1 today when hiking. I always eat what I kill BUT I am not to knowledgeable about bear meat and bear specific butchering. I have heard as many of us have that bear are "dirty" and full of "worms" etc. and would like opinions on the real truth of the meat , difficulties of butchering when compared to deer and any truth to the whole "dirty" wrap. Thanks

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
All the bear I have ever eaten was great. I think there are to many "wives tails" out there on what is good to eat and not. Bear meat is similar to pork and needs to be fully cooked but is great. My kids say they like bear back straps better than elk or deer. I say it depends on what they are eating... As far as butchering they are all the same cuts as deer and if properly cared for should be good for the table.

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
here in AK spring bear is the best. or fall if they are in the higher elevations and not full of slimmy salmon. My spring bear this year was my first and it tastes great. Also i hugely underestimated the bear fat. simmer it in a pot and a oil/grease is rendered and is FANTASTIC for cooking. fish, bear meat, baked potato's, biskets and gravey etc.

processing for my 6.5fter was easy with two people. took a couple hours with a few beer stops inbetween. did some loin packages and almost all was made into smaller round steaks/shoulder steaks. what was too small for that was made into ground bear, chorizo, breakfast sausage. (13lbs with 50/50 pork to make 26lbs of ground stuff, and it sticks better that way for burgers and such.)

i'm hooked...

I have a buddy that got triginosis from it. he was hospitalized for a long period of time and had sever issues obviously for those who know about triginosis.

Cook your meat well and you'll be fine.

amp713

WKR
Ive never taken a bear, will most butcher shops that take care of wild meat also take care of a bear? We have 3 of us grabbing OTC tags for idaho and my worry is someone shooting one way early and the other two still needing to hunt. In that situation we may be looking to take it to the butcher so we can spend as much time hunting plus we are going end of the month so weather may be a factor... Kinda just looking for thoughts on it all

amp713

WKR
Not trying to thread jack, really hoping to get info on the OP's question also since thats something im curious about, just figured id toss in another question along the way...

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
I have never heard of a butcher that takes wild game not taking a bear. I have only taken in the scrap though to get turned into sausage but have friends that take their whole bear in.

2x4x16

FNG
We are getting ready for our annual spring bear trip. Here on the westcoast of BC we have an abundant population of blackies and some monster bears. They are awesome table fare! back straps rivel moose and elk! for those that have never taken one try it. Spring bear season is a great way to get out and check out new areas and scout for the fall. We cut all our own game meat and bear is just like all the others take your time and you can work your way thru it.
This year we are going to take a few bears the table fare, we'll brine the rear quarters and smoke hams - awesome!!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
As others have said, black bear on berries can be great eating provided they haven't been eating fish. The Risk of trichinosis, while rare, is real. For this reason I prefer to have our black bear made into cooked and cured sausage at our processor, as then I know it's been cooked to adequate temp already. I really don't like cooking game meat well done, it gets pretty tough by the time the meat thermometer verifies I have cooked it enough. Our game processor doesn't have an issue with bear meat, but she said she has to clean her equipment really thoroughly after processing bear, and so she doesn't like to process it during her busy season when she does a high volume. I have previously kept bear quarters in the freezer for a month or so until she could take them.

jrpace25

FNG
I was fortunate enough to take a Maine black bear in 2011. Our guide deboned and cubed it for me so it would be easier to transport. It was my first bear so they gave me a couple of tips. I was planning to have it all ground so he told me to make sure that I have them remove as much fat as possible as that it was tends to give it the "gamey" flavor and make sure that I cook it thoroughly. When I called my processor, as Becca said, they said that they would have to charge me a little extra for the break down and extra cleaning that they have to do. My whole family loves bear meat (and so do the select guests that we serve it to)...ready for another..Hope it helps...

buzzy

WKR
Not all butchers will accept bear meat. You better check ahead to see if they will process it. I had mine processed and it was excellent. Smoked and brined hams, salami and sausage were excellent.

OP
Violent Hippie
I appreciate the info. Sounds similar to the way I am told to handle pig meat. A crock pot for 12 hours should kill anything. Many of you crock pot your bear meat ? Interesting info about the back straps. I never new that. Sounds great ! Side note : I work in the medical field and at work a few years back I saw a brain MRI that showed cystic worms in the brain (neurocysticystersarcosis ) of a lady who ate uncooked pork in Mexico. She was being treated for seizure. NOT GOOD.

Poser

WKR
Use a meat thermometer and make sure you hit 155 degrees. That should kill any trichinosis and anything else.

I LOVE bear meat.
Last I knew the state of AK would do a test for trich at no charge. I believe you sent in the tongue. Are they still doing it?

spdcrazy

Lil-Rokslider
hmm i like that idea as well. maybe i'll research this tonight and do this with my next bear if at all possible.

I primarily archery hunt for blacktail deer and over the last few seasons have had 2 bear encounters while hunting deer (also during legal bear season)with bear within 15 yards both times. I didnt have a tag and while I was watching them each time I thought to myself how they were easily within my killzone and I went unnoticed both times. Hunting bear interests me and were I hunt I see alot of bear and bear sign. I actually saw 1 today when hiking. I always eat what I kill BUT I am not to knowledgeable about bear meat and bear specific butchering. I have heard as many of us have that bear are "dirty" and full of "worms" etc. and would like opinions on the real truth of the meat , difficulties of butchering when compared to deer and any truth to the whole "dirty" wrap. Thanks

We've killed a few bears near you and all have been good with zero issues. Shops here in the valley process bear with no issues. There are some BIG bears up near you! Enjoy it!

OP
Violent Hippie
Arrowslinger, Good to hear. I have never used a butcher or processor but with my first bear I would look into it. You are right about some of the bears here. I have seen several HULKs man. Thanks