Bear attack or homicide in Montana

AHayes111

FNG
I have set up a decoy ten or pickup in places that are popular with blast and dash poachers. Works most of the time.

tdhanses

WKR
This thread got sideways in a hurry. The only thing that’s made me paranoid when hunting solo the last couple years is cats. I lay sticks on the ground around my tent. Definitely have the pistol ready, my sleeping bag has a pocket, the pistol fits nice in that. I put my bow under the fly on my left side and my pack on my right side, one boot on each side by my feet. Also keep my trekking poles handy and put my pack contents above and around my head. A few years back in the Sangres I had to fend off a smaller black bear that wanted my food at 3am. The trekking pole worked well. A spare tent? Idk counting ounces is pointless then. As for the sad situation with the hacked up individual. Hopefully his family can get some answers and find closure. Good luck to all with the remaining tags on your season.
Is there even a single recorded death of a cat killing someone in their tent? Bears yes but cats?

TheHammer

WKR
Is there even a single recorded death of a cat killing someone in their tent? Bears yes but cats?
Idk. I’m going to use the Google now and look. But cats are the only thing that make me uncomfortable. I’ve hunted them and seen first hand some of their capabilities. I’ve encountered an handful over the years while elk hunting. Everyone has their fears, thankfully mines not the dark or being alone 10 miles from the truck or whatever else people unfortunately deal with in their heads.

Idk. I’m going to use the Google now and look. But cats are the only thing that make me uncomfortable. I’ve hunted them and seen first hand some of their capabilities. I’ve encountered an handful over the years while elk hunting. Everyone has their fears, thankfully mines not the dark or being alone 10 miles from the truck or whatever else people unfortunately deal with in their heads.
The stealth factor of a cat commands respect.