Bear attack or homicide in Montana

That’s really a sad (but accurate I’m afraid in these days and times ) commentary that one would feel the necessity to have to set up a “ decoy tent/camp “ in order to do something that you’re supposed to be able to relax and enjoy. I would think that would detract from the experience, on edge that some waste of human protoplasm could steal into your camp at night to take whatever you have and possibly do you physical harm. And that’s not even considering some rogue bear.

That’s really a sad (but accurate I’m afraid in these days and times ) commentary that one would feel the necessity to have to set up a “ decoy tent/camp “ in order to do something that you’re supposed to be able to relax and enjoy. I would think that would detract from the experience, on edge that some waste of human protoplasm could steal into your camp at night to take whatever you have and possibly do you physical harm. And that’s not even considering some rogue bear.
It's part of the experience. If my neck hair doesn't get raised up a few times I may as well stay home. Lol

Backyard

WKR
WTB- Decoy tent. Must be light but bombproof and suitable for leaving unattended above treeline. Needs to be able to divert attention away from my tent.

And someone to carry it, and cooler, and firewood.
Might as well add in carrying some chairs and a table while you’re at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbassin

Lil-Rokslider
Armed or not, you're pretty darn vulnerable when you are sleeping. I've got a set of "rules" I follow when I camp. Sleeping with a handgun is one of them, but less important than the others.

Choose your campsites wisely. Using a decoy tent isn't a bad idea.
I’d be curious to hear all the other rules.

I haven’t had an experience go bad yet, but I have had drunk folks walk through camp when we thought we were the only ones out there (wooded area, maybe 100’ of visibility), had flashlights off and on throughout the night scanning camp (we were in a small depression with no tents so light was going over us, flashlights were coming from where we had our canoes so I’m assuming they found those and were then looking for us, based on the area I’d assume tweakers), and been woken up by a domestic dispute outside the tent. I spend 15-20 nights camping a year but I struggle to relax when it’s time to go to sleep.

hiker270

WKR
My hunting partner and I have been using 2 tents for years. We sleep in one, gear goes in the other. Never really thought about the decoy tent idea. Only once had to deal with a pain in the butt black bear messing around camp and a few small critters, probably raccoons. Several years ago we each started carrying a small LED remote control lantern. Hang outside and we can easily turn on if needed.

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

WKR
WTB- Decoy tent. Must be light but bombproof and suitable for leaving unattended above treeline. Needs to be able to divert attention away from my tent.
I've got one for sale that I've designed. It has a revolving shadow lamp and a sound track, and can be fitted with helium balloons to ease the transportation burden in those hard to reach wilderness areas.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
After reading all this, I think I'm getting a decoy tent now.
Wonder If I should throw in a cardboard cutout of myself as well.
Just for the extra realism.
Lol
No need for a card board cutout, just get you one of these!! they are already on the market!!

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
I may be missing something, but a decoy tent makes no sense to me. A person set on killing you is going to look in the decoy tent and not find anybody so then he is just going to call it a day and not check the 2nd tent??

The decoy tent is also very handy when you have another type of unexpected camp visitor.

Knock-Knock.jpg

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
Seriously can't even look at a tent anymore if it weighs over 4lbs because I'd never be able to " go deep", and you guys are packing coolers and decoy tents...yep, it's Monday, off to a great start.

Decoy tents… the hottest new thing brought to you by the folks at Rokslide!! Quick get the meme hole gang over here.

NMJM

FNG
The things some people consider likely risks in their lives is fascinating. Do you also put on a crash helmet when driving in a car? Do you tie into an anchor with a harness when you get on a step ladder to change a light bulb? Head injuries from car accidents and falls from ladders are way more likely than being attacked by animal or human in the backcountry. Get a grip. Go into the wilderness and enjoy.