Bear Archery Motive 6 my take on it !!!!!!!!

ontarget7

WKR
Bear Archery in my opinion has come on really strong the last few years with their bow line up. The Motive series is by far my favorite models to date. With the introduction of the new H13 cam it will sure gain popularity amongst avid archers and bow hunters alike. You take the Motive 6 and combine that with the Easton Carbon Injexion arrows and you have a combo that really packs a punch, with loads of kinetic energy. Since this bow peaked my interest so much, I had to get in on the action and ordered one myself. I would now like to share a more in depth look at tuning this combination.
First off the specs on my particular set up are 70 pounds, 29 inch draw with and Easton Carbon Injexion 330’s cut to 27” raw shaft with a 100 grain tip. Being a new bow model and not working with many to date I like to start off by seeing if my centershot will work dead down the middle of the bow. In this case on the Motive 6 that would be at 3/4 inch to center of shaft from inside face of riser. I adjusted the LimbDriver Micro Elite rest to that position and then went on to set my nock height. Now I am very familiar with Hybrid Cam systems, so I figured this H13 Cam would tune fairly similar. In most cases with a Hybrid cam system they will tune nock level to 1/8 inch nock high. The ones that have the better vertical nock travel will tune closer to nock level. For the Motive 6 I was hoping this was the case so I set it to 1/16 inch nock high to start my tuning process. Now before I go any further in my tuning process I need to check my draw length, as well as cam synchronization.
Let’s start with draw length. I am generally a 29” draw and feel comfortable out to 29 3/8 inch. The Motive 6 has rotating mods to change draw length without the need of a press, which is very handy for guys not quite sure on their actual draw length. This bow adjusts in half inch increments and you will see numbers from 6 to 10 on the cams, 10 being the 30”draw position. With that said I set it in the number 9 position for the 29 inches and then proceeded to check it on my drawboard. Well it was coming in at 5/8 of an inch to long and actually measuring 29 5/8, which is a bit too long for me. I decided to switch mod positions into the 28.5 inch slot and rechecked on my drawboard. This came in right at 29 1/8 inch which is right where I wanted it to be.
Now Cam synchronization is the next step, what I find on Hybrid Cam systems is generally slight top cam advancement tunes best and feels best at full draw. Meaning the top cam draw stop will hit just a touch before the bottom, roughly a credit card to 1/16 inch a head, or that would be your gap between the bottom stop and the cable while your top cam is touching the cable at full draw. I adjusted accordingly for this by adding three twists in the Buss Cable since my top cam was lagging behind the bottom. I finalized this by checking it on the draw board and I was good to go.
The next thing I like to get in a decent starting position is my top Cams pre lean. Any Hybrid Cam bow will have a Buss Cable with a Split Harness or Yoke, attached to the top axle. This is used to control your lateral nock travel and will greatly affect your arrow flight as well as your broadheads flying with your fieldpoints. I like to see minimal pre lean on these systems as possible and this is how I generally check them. I take a shaft and lay it on the left side of the top cam for a right handed shooter. Then I project that down to my nocking point and see where it falls in relation to the string. Usually a good starting point for this is just crossing the string at nocking point. I set this particular one up so the Easton Injexion crossed at about 1/16 of an inch past the right side of my string. Now to test this, every set up is different. Your goal here is the best possible lateral nock travel you can get. To do this you shoot a bareshaft at 10 yards with your fletched arrow and adjust accordingly by adding or taking out twist in your Yoke. In this case my bareshafts were impacting left of my fletched arrows slightly. Now to adjust for this you want to walk your bareshafts back to your fletched and if they are impacting left you will add twist to the right side of the yoke, while taking out the same amount to the left side. By doing it this way you insure your cam synch stays true while adjusting for the best lateral nock travel at the same time. With the Motive 6 and the Easton Injexion 330’s the right side of the shaft that is against the top cam matched the left side of the string at nocking point which proved to be ideal with this set up.
With all that down and adjusted it was time to shoot a little to see how the Motive 6 performed. I was so pleased with the initial set up and tune, it literally only took about 5 shots to get everything where I wanted it. Grant it, I have been around many bows to know where some good starting points would be for tuning but this was a very good sign of a very friendly shooting bow. The only complaint that I would have regarding the Motive 6 is the factory strings, they have some peep rotation issues that I would like to see fixed. Other than that this bow is a solid performer that is sure to please.
I ended up with 70 pounds, 29 inch draw, 423 gr Easton Carbon Injexion 330 at 310 fps. That puts this combo at a big 90 ft lb of kinetic energy. These arrows have not been on the market that long but I must say I am very pleased with them. The small diameter thick walled construction, make for a very tough and durable arrow. They have been performing exceptionally well in all conditions and really pack a punch down range. The specs have been coming in with very tight tolerances for an all carbon arrow and are quickly becoming my preferred choice. I would even say they are as tight of tolerances as some of your carbon aluminum arrows. The only down fall at this time I can see with these shafts are the limited selection of broadheads that will work with the Deep Six inserts. This year there has been more companies coming out with their own Deep Six broadheads and I feel this will just grow as time goes by.
When in the market for a combination that really packs a punch and worth looking at, I would not hesitate to narrow your choices down to the Bear Motive 6 and Easton Injexion combination. More than likely you will be very pleased with your choice.

Shane

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374758381.611610.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374758429.219798.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374758449.573450.jpg

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
First 3 arrows of the day with the Motive 6

Attachments

• Motive 6 3 arrow group (Large).jpg
    Motive 6 3 arrow group (Large).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 79

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I was just talking to a friend about Bear. He is going to be shooting an Anarchy, he couldn't say enough about them. Sounds like something I need to go check out for myself.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Just got in some new strings and specs are 70/29 1/8 , 423 gr arrow at 313 fps. That puts IBO at 354 fps. It draws better than any other 350 IBO bow I have ever shot.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374897535.147344.jpg

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Just giving an update with the new strings and tune. Gaining the extra speed from the strings I had to readjust my centershot to 13/16 and my pre lean is non existent, it is perfectly parallel with the string with my shaft along the right side of my top cam.

sk1

WKR
my only complaint about the bear bows is that string stop design, can't stand it

glad that motive 6 is working well for you, looks like a shooter

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
my only complaint about the bear bows is that string stop design, can't stand it

glad that motive 6 is working well for you, looks like a shooter

Can you elaborate ? I know a couple years ago they did not last and got tore up pretty quick. This year I do not see the same wear on my initial testing.

sk1

WKR
Can you elaborate ? I know a couple years ago they did not last and got tore up pretty quick. This year I do not see the same wear on my initial testing.

that was my complaint, i used to have a truth2 and i had to shave down the metal that you slide the string stops on, i would go through a set of string stoppers each month and they were always a pain to get through bear even though they were free. maybe the new design off to the side works better now, but it really turned me off....otherwise id still be shooting one i really like their draw cycles.

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
that was my complaint, i used to have a truth2 and i had to shave down the metal that you slide the string stops on, i would go through a set of string stoppers each month and they were always a pain to get through bear even though they were free. maybe the new design off to the side works better now, but it really turned me off....otherwise id still be shooting one i really like their draw cycles.

Yep, different design that seems to be working much better.