BD's new "lightest down hoody in the world"

Poser

WKR

148g/ 5.22 oz for size medium. 1000 fill down.
Note that is only 4d fabric.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
So, what is the use case for a hooded down jacket with 2-ish oz of insulation and fabric slightly more durable than wet toilet paper?

Looks like BD is dipping its toe in the "Ultralight" scene. Same purpose as the MH Ghost puffy or those dumbass Durston trekking poles that don't have a cord to hold them together so you have to store them in a cuben fiber sleeve so you don't lose a section of your trekking pole or the titanium tent stakes that only work when there isn't a rock within 50 meters or they get bent just being in proximity.

That being said, if you gave me one, I'd use it for summer backpacking when I probably won't need a down jacket, but maybe. Or, a emergency puffy in my ski pack. I don't know if I've ever actually put a puffy on while backcountry skiing, but if I were injured, I'd need one, so I carry one.

Macintosh

WKR
I carry a light puffy skiing and climbing. I guess Im not sure how much actual warmth comes from such a thin jacket regardless of how good the down is. I own a 900-fill down jacket that has heavier fabric than this, and its already too fragile, and I go through a lighter weight puffy every couple years…I just question the utility of something that is realistically not much warmer than a grid fleece, yet is crazy fragile in any kind of real use. It doesnt seem practical, and this is coming from a guy who did little other then eat, sleep, work and dream about fast and light climbing for several decades. I could see something like this as a midlayer maybe, but would prefer it without the hood, and theres already multiple other (better quality) similar jackets without a hood that are even lighter. Just seems like a solution looking for its problem.
Im sure it’s the marketing department’s, along with 3 world-class uber-athletes, dream though.

SonnyDay

WKR
Yeah, injury is a big use case. Or a glassing session that turns unexpectedly cold.

They're obviously more of an "outdoors" company than a hunting company, so shady belays are probably the biggest use case for their audience.

That's a lot of coin for a hooded jacket... but man, 5 oz? Pretty amazing.

shwacker

Lil-Rokslider
I could see it being handy to carry instead of a wind layer (similar size but more warmth) on a longer rock climb or possibly cycling just due to packed size/weight. Not much use for hunting I guess.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I have a puffy from Montbell that is essentially the same jacket. For sure a delicate piece but it is easy to always have during the warmer months for safety's sake. I also always have a super light delicate rain shell that serves the same purpose, you never know when you'll need to spend a night out or weather sneaks up on you and for less than 12oz between the two I can be covered. If I wear the thin puffy while hunting/moving/glassing I do the same as I do with my other weight puffies and pull a grid fleece over the top for some snag protection, quiet it down and remove the sheen/camo. All that being said I got a good discount on it otherwise wouldn't spend the money.

Beendare

WKR
Both of my light puffy’s have holes in them…as does my Kuiu Kenai….and I’m not plowing through thick brush with them.

Making these garments with ultra light fabric is the new “ Tactical” sales pitch.

Hey Manufacturers, I will take a little more durability please

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both of my light puffy’s have holes in them…as does my Kuiu Kenai….and I’m not plowing through thick brush with them.

Making these garments with ultra light fabric is the new “ Tactical” sales pitch.

Hey Manufacturers, I will take a little more durability please
I’m on both sides of the fence. I like my ultralight kuiu down because mostly it’s just riding in my pack but when I do wear it I think “1 more ounce of down and 1 more ounce of fabric material would go a long ways”.

In comparison to this from BD I’m happy to have pockets, full zip and hood adjustments for a two ounce weight penalty.

feanor

WKR
I have a puffy from Montbell that is essentially the same jacket. For sure a delicate piece but it is easy to always have during the warmer months for safety's sake. I also always have a super light delicate rain shell that serves the same purpose, you never know when you'll need to spend a night out or weather sneaks up on you and for less than 12oz between the two I can be covered. If I wear the thin puffy while hunting/moving/glassing I do the same as I do with my other weight puffies and pull a grid fleece over the top for some snag protection, quiet it down and remove the sheen/camo. All that being said I got a good discount on it otherwise wouldn't spend the money.
Which puffy/ shell combo are you referring to?

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
Montbell puffy - they make a hooded version too that's 7ish oz
https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25146&p_id=2301381&gen_cd=1

Rab rainshell

These are super lightweight and not meant for abuse. I have treated them accordingly and this will be my 3rd year with both pieces. I do a lot of bike packing so weight and packability are paramount. I also carry a SOL emergency bivy and find that between these three I'm protected for anything down to 40ish degrees

Macintosh

WKR
I’m on both sides of the fence. I like my ultralight kuiu down because mostly it’s just riding in my pack but when I do wear it I think “1 more ounce of down and 1 more ounce of fabric material would go a long ways”.

In comparison to this from BD I’m happy to have pockets, full zip and hood adjustments for a two ounce weight penalty.
Agree 100%. To me, one of the best aspects of down is that it works well across a pretty wide temp range because its breatheable. I’ll take a slightly warmer jacket because its not a sweat-bag if I have a touch more insulation than I really need, because it extends the useful temp range quite a bit lower. And I use my puffy a lot in the woods, brush krumholz, etc, so tissue-paper-like durability is a no-go. If it all adds 2 or 3 ounces and a 1/4 liter of packing volume, its highly worthwhile to me. If I were packing it into a bike pannier, maybe that’d be different.

schmalzy

WKR
Will be a sweet buy when it goes on sale like all BD stuff does.

That and it’s relatively easy to get a Black Diamond pro deal/discount.

I know some people aren’t huge fans of BD soft goods but I’ve had pretty good luck with their ski shells and alpine start, and I really like their alpine carbon cork trekking poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like BD is dipping its toe in the "Ultralight" scene. Same purpose as the MH Ghost puffy or those dumbass Durston trekking poles that don't have a cord to hold them together so you have to store them in a cuben fiber sleeve so you don't lose a section of your trekking pole or the titanium tent stakes that only work when there isn't a rock within 50 meters or they get bent just being in proximity.

That being said, if you gave me one, I'd use it for summer backpacking when I probably won't need a down jacket, but maybe. Or, an emergency puffy in my ski pack. I don't know if I've ever actually put a puffy on while backcountry skiing, but if I were injured, I'd need one, so I carry one.
I’ve had my Mountain hardware ghostwhisper for over 4 years. It’s awesome. 40 plus days a year no issue, think it has one patch. 8oz why wouldn’t someone want it.