BDC reticles

why does it seem that most companies just over engineer and complicate BDC type reticles? I don't want open nobs, I had a VX-3 CDS and just didn't trust it... because of their reputation for tracking, and it would turn as I pack, so I had to check zero non stop.

I do like BDC type reticles, but it seems like they are all mega busy.... cluttered.

i'm in the market, wanting something fairly lightweight, and a very simple BDC type reticle (love the reticle on the Redfield Revolution, but their glass isn't great (not bad, they are like a VX-1 with a better reticle)

the 2 that are sticking out right now is the leupold B&C, and the Burris E3 MOA.... looking for some more suggestions in the 4-600 dollar range, thanks

Look at a mil dot. On my longer distance meaning 450ish I use a mil dot reticle on a Trijicon AccuPoint, 13oz, glass is great. Simple way to extend yardage.

Hold offs are not ideal. It gets pretty hard to shoot corrections on misses if ur subtending windage and elevation simultaneous with anything recoiling more then a 223

Especially if you get a bit far into space say a 1.5 mil hold off windage on a 1.7 mils of elevation.

Which would be a fairly typical 12mph 425 yard shot.

Hold offs are not ideal. It gets pretty hard to shoot corrections on misses if ur subtending windage and elevation simultaneous with anything recoiling more then a 223

Especially if you get a bit far into space say a 1.5 mil hold off windage on a 1.7 mils of elevation.

Which would be a fairly typical 12mph 425 yard shot.

no doubt if you are shooting distance with double digit wind, extensive practice is needed.

My opinion is that BDCs are money makers so companies try to dress them up. Its just like the long range craze. Market something as a turn key long rage system. People look at a BDC as the answer. Mil or MOA options are confusing to the casual hunter. A few hash marks that represent a yardage is appealing to the masses. The issue is the marketing. Every company has to compete now so they have to come up with more options that clutter the view.

Amen brother

I have a few weapon platforms that would love a 4.5x up to maybe 6x fixed and basic mil based t reticle and as long as it would hold zero would be suffice for what I require of it

Meopta Meopro has a simple BDC reticle

I can't find it in their 6X42. A modified #4 one, but not their actual BDC reticle.

And don't even get me started with Leupold. Whoever is in charge of discontinuing B&C and LRD reticles in their scope lines should be replaced. They sell in minutes on 24hour, but the company stopped making them? That is puzzling.

I'm talking specifically about the LR Duplex in the 6X42 and the B&C in the 2.5-8X36.

I can't find it in their 6X42. A modified #4 one, but not their actual BDC reticle.

And don't even get me started with Leupold. Whoever is in charge of discontinuing B&C and LRD reticles in their scope lines should be replaced. They sell in minutes on 24hour, but the company stopped making them? That is puzzling.

I'm talking specifically about the LR Duplex in the 6X42 and the B&C in the 2.5-8X36.

It would be nice in their 6x. I have one of their 6x42 with the German reticle. I like it a lot.
I have two of their BDC's in 3-9x40 and they are very nice so far.

Roosiebull, I like the ballistic reticles like the Leupold B&C in the VX3 line, LR Dots in the VX2 & 1 line, and especially the Varmint Hunter in the VX3. I spend 98% of my hunting time with a bow in hand (as I know you do), all with 5 pin sights (most recently with the ability to dial down on my MBG Ascent and Whitetail), and have no issue with gap shooting. You just have to remember to set the scope to max power if that is how you set it up.

As per an inexpensive alternative, I picked up one Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex reticle a long time ago for $150. Guy won it in a raffle at the Elk Foundation banquet and sold it the same week. Anyway, it has been on a .22 LR, .17 HMR and mostly lived on an accurate custom Remington M7 in .260 Remington. The Burris has always held zero, clicks work accurately to sight it in, dots are at a very useful spacing and the optics are better than a VXII to my eye. Weight is 13 ounces for the 3-9x40 if memory serves me. About the only complaint I'd offer is the entire eye piece turns when you change power, rather than just the power ring. Also the reticle focus does not lock on it like a Leupold and the eye relief is short...not a problem on the rifles I've used it on but wouldn't want it on my 5# .338 Federal. It is worth looking into them.

Last edited:
Give the leupold American Marksman a look. It has the LRD that ligns up very well with 100 or 200 yard zeros for most cartridges. I have one on a 6.5CM that shoots out to 500 perfect with a 100 yard zero. Glass is not great though.

Give the leupold American Marksman a look. It has the LRD that ligns up very well with 100 or 200 yard zeros for most cartridges. I have one on a 6.5CM that shoots out to 500 perfect with a 100 yard zero. Glass is not great though.

Hmmmm. Website says no longer available for sale. They do have a VX-Freedom with the Tri-MOA reticle that checks boxes.

Roosiebull, I like the ballistic reticles like the Leupold B&C in the VX3 line, LR Dots in the VX2 & 1 line, and especially the Varmint Hunter in the VX3. I spend 98% of my hunting time with a bow in hand (as I know you do), all with 5 pin sights (most recently with the ability to dial down on my MBG Ascent and Whitetail), and have no issue with gap shooting. You just have to remember to set the scope to max power if that is how you set it up.

As per an inexpensive alternative, I picked up one Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II with the Ballistic Plex reticle a long time ago for $150. Guy won it in a raffle at the Elk Foundation banquet and sold it the same week. Anyway, it has been on a .22 LR, .17 HMR and mostly lived on an accurate custom Remington M7 in .260 Remington. The Burris has always held zero, clicks work accurately to sight it in, dots are at a very useful spacing and the optics are better than a VXII to my eye. Weight is 13 ounces for the 3-9x40 if memory serves me. About the only complaint I'd offer is the entire eye piece turns when you change power, rather than just the power ring. Also the reticle focus does not lock on it like a Leupold and the eye relief is short...not a problem on the rifles I've used it on but wouldn't want it on my 5# .338 Federal. It is worth looking into them.
thanks!

the Burris line is on my radar, i do like their ballistic plex reticle, just never looked through one.

Leupold sure has changed up their line of scopes a lot in the past few years..... hard to navigate what they do and don't offer anymore, and what's comparable to what.

this wouldn't even be a question a few years ago, they have changed up so much that i have no clue.... in the past, i was always happy with vx-2 and vx-3's...

cannot really contact them and expect a non marketed response, haha.

i will look at leupold some more, i didn't even know if they still offered the B&C reticle, i was seeing some they offered that were obviously pointed at the wannabe long ranger who didn't want to spend money on a reliable dial 😉

I have never thought the bdc reticle on my Zeiss conquest was cluttered. Last time I shot with it I hit a rock at 600 yards, which is farther than I would shoot at an animal.

Meopta has a couple reticle. I just got one with the bdc2 and it is very clean. Got mine through cameraland... call Doug he will hook u up

Back