Dial scope with BDC reticle?

• Yes

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Sometimes but not usually

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
So for those of you who run a BDC type reticle but still have knurled turrets, do you still dial for elevation? Vote in the poll.

Macintosh

WKR
The options dont squarely address what I do. The only "BDC" scope I still have is a mildot reticle on a ffp scope. I zero at 100, and inside about 200-250 yards I virtually never dial. Between 200-300 or so I have the option of dialing or using the reticle depending on situation, but I usually have plenty of time to dial there so that's what I tend to do. Past 300 yards I will pretty much always dial--I tried using the reticle at those ranges but critters are rarely at a range where I'd hold right on a dot, and I just can't hold between dots accurately enough for me to be as precise as I'd like at those ranges. So yes, it's true I usually wont dial since most of my shots are at ranges inside about 200 yards, but I virtually always dial at any longer ranges.

jjwise97

FNG
I can’t explain it, but I am a better shot using the main crosshair than I am using the BDC reticle. I rarely shoot anything while hunting that’s far enough to require either but I regularly shoot 300-500yd at the range, and my groups are noticeably smaller when I dial as opposed to holding over with the reticle.

OP
ShortMountain91
I can’t explain it, but I am a better shot using the main crosshair than I am using the BDC reticle. I rarely shoot anything while hunting that’s far enough to require either but I regularly shoot 300-500yd at the range, and my groups are noticeably smaller when I dial as opposed to holding over with the reticle.
Probably just learning on a regular Plex reticle. I've never tested this but I bet I'd see the same.

davsco

WKR
the only bdc i have is on the AR i use for 2 & 3 gun matches that shoot out to 500yds. of course the hash marks don't line up perfectly for me, but with testing/dope i know where to hold at the various distances. never dial.

It makes sense that people are a better shot with the main crosshair. I believe the people who say it's a faster/better system to twist turrets with a reliable scope. But for someone who verifies the holdovers and practices a lot, a BDC system can be pretty effective and a lot of fun. Practice, practice, practice.

I do not see the point of a BDC reticle on a scope set up for dialing.

EdP

WKR
I have a Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40 on a 280 AI. Shooting 160 gr ABs and zeroed at 200 yds, the 10 MOA of subtensions the BDC offers gets me out to 600 yds. Beyond that I would have to dial, which the scope is set up to do, but I do not use that feature for a variety of reasons. One reason is that I don't intend to shoot game beyond 600. Another is that I don't trust dialing a scope in the price range of the Freedom. I have BDC scopes on 7 or 8 different rifles in different chamberings and have found that they provide all the drop correction needed for the ranges I have or would shoot game at.