BC Sheep hunting

tuffcity

WKR
Some people seem to think that an lottery for out of province/country sheep permits will be the death knell for the G/O industry in BC. This is more of a middle finger attitude than reality. i suspect all a permit system would do is now enable G/O to offer reduced sheep hunts for animals that will not come off their quota. As some one mentioned, a lot of the permit winners would hire a guide anyway just because of the logistics of getting into productive sheep country. Now you have increased hunting pressure for a finite resource for the resident hunter.

The premiers tag, auctioned off at the WSF convention, brings in a significant amount of money that goes directly in the special sheep fund of the Habitat Conservation Trust Fund. It would take an incredible amount of LEH permits to make up the 100's of thousands of dollars that that one tag annually puts into sheep related projects.

RC

OP
Idaho Brad
Sheeesh,
I didn't now I would open up such a can of worms with just a simple question. Sounds like our neighbors to the North are quite divided on the way things are being managed in their respective Province. Come to Idaho and you don't need a guide to hunt squat, not even in the wilderness. Something just doesn't sit right with me hiring an outfitter. I prefer to go the diy route.

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
No one is talking about taking away the premiers tag.Let the rich guys bid on it i say.What we are talking about here is the lobbying and back room deals that are going that are constantly whiddling away at resident allocation.Things look awfully suspicious when the GOABC is applying for grants for tourism and that same amount is being donated back to the Liberal coffers.Guide outfitters are getting up 40% of the allocation and whining their going broke no jurisdiction in North America has those kind of numbers and they are surviving.The current model is broken and needs a complete overhaul.