Battle of the Sub 300$ pack

Fatcamp

WKR
Buy a used Kifaru frame here and keep your eye out for a cheap bag.

Or any of the other options listed. $300 gets the ball rolling for sure.

jimwinks

FNG
I have the pop up 38 and it works very well as a day pack and meat hauler. Much better than the Eberlestock M5 for hauling meat.

Taudisio

WKR
I used a MR terraframe 50 last year. I was able to fit 4 days worth of my gear. Packed a bull out. The belt was my only issue. It’s the same frame as their top tier, the fabric is just not as thick as the pintler. I got it from rei during one of their sales for right around $200 brand new and shipped. I decided to upgrade after that trip. If money was tight, I would still be using it, with some tweaks to the belt. I’m keeping it as a loaner/truck pack. I just had trouble with the belt but I think it has been changed in the newer models. The pack, and bulls rear quarter is in my avatar pic.

I have the pop up 38 and it works very well as a day pack and meat hauler. Much better than the Eberlestock M5 for hauling meat.
I like the pop up more than the guide lite for heavy loads. I think the guide lite mt fits a fairly narrow window of body types really well, if you are outside of that, fit gets weird.

For the price, the pop up is hard to beat… same goes for all MR packs, but I do think the guide lite mt is fairly fickle with different body types.

Used Kuiu. If you can find an Exo or SG or Kifaru then that, but might be tough. If you said $400 then those latter should be available often on here.

No need to pay 300 or more for a badlands. I've seen them for 100 -150 bucks or so many times As long as you're not in a hurry they will go on sale at some point.

Is it a great pack? No. Will it suffice for what you mentioned above? Absolutely! I've packed some heavy loads with a 2200 and it hasn't failed me yet. Its a great turkey/deer pack all they way up to elk.

That access through the panel/lumbar area is incredibly useful. I wish other packs would incorporate that into their system. Believe it or not, the bat wings on those packs was way ahead of their time witnessed by packs of today.

It's a little heavy empty, but I've pulled camp and an elk quarter out on them many times.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has the Alps Commander, I think it's $160 with the standard pack. Pack comes off for hauling. I've never used it myself but I tried it on one day and it felt fine. Could be a good middle ground for you...
ALPs Commander is super impressive. My buddy used one on our bear hunt and packed out two moose in alaska with it. Thing is the bomb…

Wait until a big MR sale and get something small on a Guidelite frame. Probably do it for $340 if you are super discerning. For sure can find a used one for under $300.

Pop-ups were on camofire yesterday for $190. I almost bought one just to have a ‘I’m not shooting anything in a canyon’ pack. But it seems unnecessary with current office full of packs.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I am also looking at backpacks in this range - but looking for packs that can handle up to 3-4 days? The past 2 years I carried my old Gregory pack for hunting but it was a Z55 and had lots of empty space.

Does anybody run a Pop Up 38 for "long weekend" hunts? This is my first hunting pack instead of backpacking specific setup.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I have an alps z hybrid and a horn hunter full curl. Not sure of prices on these packs State side ( Canadian here) but both are bomb proof and have been work horses for me packing elk and moose. They are heavier than the top tier bags but here they are 1/4 the price.. the alps runs around $300 here and a MR pop up is around $950 locally.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
I have an alps z hybrid and a horn hunter full curl. Not sure of prices on these packs State side ( Canadian here) but both are bomb proof and have been work horses for me packing elk and moose. They are heavier than the top tier bags but here they are 1/4 the price.. the alps runs around $300 here and a MR pop up is around $950 locally.
The alps in the states looks to be $400 in the states, and horn hunter about the same. The internet says the full curl is 10lbs?

It's all new to me coming from carrying Gregory and Osprey, but maybe the answer is "increase my budget" for all the options I want.

Taudisio

WKR
The alps in the states looks to be $400 in the states, and horn hunter about the same. The internet says the full curl is 10lbs?

It's all new to me coming from carrying Gregory and Osprey, but maybe the answer is "increase my budget" for all the options I want.
There are lots of other options listed before the two above. From your brief description, the MR terraframe has worked for me doing what you described. I have a horn hunter brand new I got as a gift. I put it on once and it has been sitting in storage for about 4 years. I suppose I could part with it for a good deal if you are interested. I upgraded to a kifaru but I haven’t tried it in the hills with any weight yet. I’ve walked about 5 miles total down my driveway and back. The hip belt is nice, but I haven’t felt any notable comfort difference between it and my terraframe on the flats with 30-40 pounds. I got my terraframe for $204 at rei with the 20% off and a $20 dividend in 2020. Add $1200 to that for the kifaru all in.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
MR pop up is my go to now that i added a Kifaru belt. Low overhead clearance . compact . and in you budget. $225 for a barely used one and $60 for a kifaru belt
I have carried 95 lbs of elk meat and day gear and it is very capable of that.
Did you use their duplex belt?