Battle of the Sub 300$ pack

Jazzbo66

FNG
So I’m looking for sone options for the bast all around pack for 300$ my goal is to find a pack for deer, Turkey and and maybe a trip out west every few years. What all do you think would be a good option. I was looking at the Eberlystock x2 or the the badlands 2200 or the new mystery ranch pop ups. It would have to have the ability to carry meat.

Kurts86

WKR
The Mystery Ranch pop-up series is the only sub $300 pack remotely worth owning and understanding the pack isn’t capable loaded beyond 75 lbs.

Eberlestock and Badlands are just wasted money along the way to get eventually buying a $500-$700 pack.

prm

WKR
The X2 is a great pack. I wouldn't use it to pack in for a backpack elk hunt, but for lighter utility I really like mine. Currently my deer hunting pack.

The Mystery Ranch pop-up series is the only sub $300 pack remotely worth owning and understanding the pack isn’t capable loaded beyond 75 lbs.

Eberlestock and Badlands are just wasted money along the way to get eventually buying a $500-$700 pack.
The Eberlestock Mainframe has some pretty big fans. I think you are entirely discounting a pretty large amount of packs that aren’t terribly bad.

Op:
There are alot of threads here on this topic, some searches may behoove you. Also watch the classifieds- I got a exo k2 for around 300, and with the K4 coming out guys are dumping packs. There was a k3 frame for 150$ yesterday that sold. Used top tier gear is better than new cheap gear. To summarize the suggestions you’ll get:

-buy once cry once, keep saving
-get an old arctyrx, MR, dana designs etc
-watch the classifieds
-ilbe/filbe
-MR on sale (camofire has some good ones from time to time, non-pop up)

Honestly 300 is a solid budget and should put you in a solid used back or a new MR or eberlestock on sale.

The X2 is a great pack. I wouldn't use it to pack in for a backpack elk hunt, but for lighter utility I really like mine. Currently my deer hunting pack.
how tall are you? I am 6'0 and my x2 screwed up my hip for a while pinching some nerve or something when i had a load in it bc the torso wsn;t long enough. functionality wise its a good idea but i would only get if you're short. I think a discount mystery ranch is the ticket, on sale kuiu will probably get brought up to but the one i had sucked with a load and I sold it after first packout

Randle

WKR
MR pop up is my go to now that i added a Kifaru belt. Low overhead clearance . compact . and in you budget. $225 for a barely used one and $60 for a kifaru belt
I have carried 95 lbs of elk meat and day gear and it is very capable of that.

prm

WKR
I'm 5-8. I don't carry a lot of weight in it. I have also used (still have) a Mystery Ranch Mule that worked reasonably well. I packed out a deboned mule deer buck with it. That was about as heavy as I'd want.

Kurts86

WKR
The Eberlestock Mainframe has some pretty big fans. I think you are entirely discounting a pretty large amount of packs that aren’t terribly bad.

Op:
There are alot of threads here on this topic, some searches may behoove you. Also watch the classifieds- I got a exo k2 for around 300, and with the K4 coming out guys are dumping packs. There was a k3 frame for 150$ yesterday that sold. Used top tier gear is better than new cheap gear. To summarize the suggestions you’ll get:

-buy once cry once, keep saving
-get an old arctyrx, MR, dana designs etc
-watch the classifieds
-ilbe/filbe
-MR on sale (camofire has some good ones from time to time, non-pop up)

Honestly 300 is a solid budget and should put you in a solid used back or a new MR or eberlestock on sale.

For what it’s worth I run an Exo K2 but I wasted a lot of time and money with many cheaper/heavier packs before I bit the bullet on a nice pack. If you can get one used for $300 that’s a great option. I’m firmly in the buy once cry once camp on packs.

I do like the pop-up for day hunts and the lower frame height in thick cover over the Exo in the rain forest briar patch of Southeast public land. I think the pop-up series is a good option for people that dabble with western hunting and aren’t doing a backpack elk hunt. I’ve owned the 1st Gen popup 18 and the 2nd Gen Pop-up 28 while being completely happy with my Exo K2 for bigger hunts.

LoggerDan

WKR
For deer hunting back east, there’s nothing wrong with a badlands 2200. how do you get your buck out of the woods? Drag to a road or trail and use a pickup or a four wheeler? I’d feel silly using a sg, kifaru etc pack if I only had to drag a deer a short distance to a rig.
As for hunting out west and north, if you only go once ever three or four years, nothing wrong with an led school external frame.
Some guys would rather boast about their equipment than their hunting skills and results thereof.

taskswap

WKR
I have a friend who has the Alps Commander, I think it's $160 with the standard pack. Pack comes off for hauling. I've never used it myself but I tried it on one day and it felt fine. Could be a good middle ground for you...

I own and love my MR pop up but it isn’t a substitute for a full size frame pack.

some really good options suggested above. I would second the idea of finding an MR Terraframe 50 or 80 on sale or even one of their older version MR hunting packs Like a used metcalf or pintler On an older gen frame. More bang for your buck than a US made brand.

OP
Jazzbo66

Jazzbo66

FNG
the main reason for keeping it in that price range was me worrying about being over bagged. I don’t think I’m too a point yet if a full frame pack. I’m 5’7” and half my hunts are somewhere I can drag my deer some would be easier to pack out. I’m also looking in to deer hunts where I would have to pack. I also every few years get to go on an elk hunt where we set up truck camp and hike in.

I've been liking my pop up 28 as a day pack meat hauler but kinda wish I had gotten the 38. It really is tight on space. Other than that complaint I think it's a great sub $300 pack and from what you described as your intended uses I think it would serve you well.

rclouse79

WKR
I just bought a Gregory Stout 70L back at Sierra Trading Post for $130 after using $20 coupons. It is $250 most places I looked online. I still use my Kifaru for everything hunting and bought this for backpacking. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to use it for deer or turkey.

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
2 good deals here on the 38

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
Stone glacier, EXO, Kifaru used frame with a dry bag, grab a lid and accessories as time goes on, maybe even a used bag down the road