Battery Powered Chainsaws

Not sure why you don't cut poles.. Pretty much every pole gets cut to transfer to new pole. Then you gotta haul the poles tops back or have hauling come get em.
Why are you guys cutting up your poles ? The only time we do is when we retire some old cedars and some of our guys cut them up in the pole yard for campfire wood.

I carry a Stihl electric in the truck all the time. Hardly use the gas saw anymore. It can cut for a good 45 minutes on a charge, rather large hardwood.

Just doesn't hardly work in single digits or below the teens, still sucks in teens.

The Ryobi 14” electric saw from Home Depot is legit.

I have two larger Stihls for bigger stuff but find myself using the electric saw more and more often.

mi650

WKR
The Ryobi 14” electric saw from Home Depot is legit.

I have two larger Stihls for bigger stuff but find myself using the electric saw more and more often.
I have the 14" Ryobi and it's what I grab most often. I have an 18" Stihl and a 20" McCulloch for bigger jobs, but I usually don't need them.

TheHammer

WKR
I have a dewalt, works great for light use. Annual Christmas tree harvest& I don’t need to worry about gas amongst my hunting clothes when heading in trips. No noises at camp. Worked great with downed trees when the snow dumped on us 3 years ago.

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
Stihl, Husqvarna, Jred and Dolmar offer very decent electric saws that are popular with homeowners and renovation contractors. Use a short extension cord and keep the chain sharp.
As rebocardo suggested, stay away from the Remington and Poulan. Usually the first thing to fail is the plastic driven gear followed by the switch. Parts and service are scarce, usually cheaper to replace it. Also a pain in the butt to install the chain.

cjdewese

WKR
Anyone have any input on electric chainsaws. I was thinking of picking one up to use around camp to cut down wood for the tent stove, clear downed trees on the road, etc.. I usually always have a honda generator in camp running for a couple hours at night while cooking and stuff so i figure i could recharge it then if needed. I was just thinking a electric one to have around would be nice or is gas chainsaw still the only way to go? Since i won't be using it a ton i though the electric would be quick and easy when needed. Most of my cordless hand tools are dewalt so i was leaning towards that to stay with the same battery system if possible.
The dewalt one is probably more than enough for what you will want it for. I was impressed with my buddies that he has. Just keep it sharp and it will work great.

I don't know how the Kobalt 80v saw didn't make the Project Farm video, its the best one out right now. I have one and absolutely love it. I recently cut down 4 medium size oaks into pieces small enough to hand carry with just one charge on the 2.5ah battery. I also have the 6ah battery and have yet to wear it down in one setting with the lawnmower, weedwacker, or chainsaw. If you need it for constant sawing all day pretty often, go gas. If it's for medium jobs or downed trees around the house, electric all the way (especially if you have 2 batteries).

OMB

WKR
Anyone have any input on electric chainsaws. I was thinking of picking one up to use around camp to cut down wood for the tent stove, clear downed trees on the road, etc.. I usually always have a honda generator in camp running for a couple hours at night while cooking and stuff so i figure i could recharge it then if needed. I was just thinking a electric one to have around would be nice or is gas chainsaw still the only way to go? Since i won't be using it a ton i though the electric would be quick and easy when needed. Most of my cordless hand tools are dewalt so i was leaning towards that to stay with the same battery system if possible.

I grew up in a Midwest logging family and logged myself as a college summer job. Always cut with Stihl 44's and bucked with 66's, so I've always been extremely skeptical of battery powered saws. I have a lot of friends and family that work at Milwaukee Tool and was given one of their 16" saws a year ago.

I'm honestly pretty impressed with it. I obviously wouldn't take it logging, but for cutting light firewood around camp, or tossing in the back of the UTV to clear trails, it's great. There's not much for weight savings, but having two batteries for trail work beats the hell out of having to toss a messy gas can in the back with treestands or gear.

I haven't really pushed the limits on it yet, but there's probably nothing I wouldn't use it on that I wouldn't use a 250 size Stihl on. I think Milwaukee is actually using Oregon as their bar supplier so they definitely did their homework when developing their chainsaw line.

Please let me know if it helps. From what and where I'm seeing oil its not the problem.
I replaced the o ring on mine after it leaked everywhere. It helped mine when I forgot to empty it when I wasn’t going to use it for a while. Most times I just emptied the bar oil so there was no chance of a mess.

AZ8

WKR
Downside to battery is replacing the one that crapped out. The batteries cost almost as much as the tool itself! Very expensive.

I have one for inside my 4Runner to clear small trees on NFS roads. I didn’t like the idea of gas spilling inside so electric was a great add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already had Makita power tools so adding the chainsaw just made sense.
Absolutely love having it in the truck for all the reasons mentioned already.
Phenomenal battery life

Rich M

WKR
I have a ryobi 18 inch and it is nice. good for up to about 12 inch wood, as the wood gets thicker, the battery dies faster.

Also have 2 14-inch and 1 18-inch corded electric chain saws and 1 corded pole saw with 6 inch bar - these get used more and even with generator in the woods. Like these, so quiet compared to the gas powered one sitting in my garage untouched...

CZluvr

FNG
My wife wanted a chainsaw for hacking up downed tree limbs. Being a gas Husky lover I laughed but bought her a little 10" Ryobi at Home Depot for Christmas a couple years ago. Sorry to say but I use the crap out of it and have been looking at the 14" for an upgrade for her.

Lowg08

WKR
We have started transitioning into battery powered saws at work. Power company. I have no problem with clearing trees and limbs. Taken on some rather large trees. Even cleared several hundreds feet of right of many times. Cuts pole tops and many other items that need to be cut. We use Milwaukee m18 fuel series. Oh and chainsaw chaps will not stop them. I am huge fan of them.