Battery Powered Chainsaws

Joben

FNG
I bought an E-GO chainsaw 2 years ago for the same purpose. I have most of their tools to tend to the rest of my yard and wanted one for the trailer as to save a little time vs the old hatchet. the thing works great and i can usually cut a weekend worth og wood on a single charge. Not quite as much power as a gas, as it will occasionally bog down with a large branch but ive never had it not go through something ive attempted.

Have the smaller 20v dewalt chainsaw and for small jobs within its capabilities I was impressed with it. Cut 70 arborvitae down with it which was my only purpose of purchase. A new o ring eliminated most of the leaking, it leaked bad before that. A gas one is more powerful but didn’t regret not having one for my project.

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
I have the 60 volt Greenworks 18" bar , have to say I am impressed for battery saw. I have cut juniper, oak ,mesquite. Up to 25" plus diameter and it plowed right through it with ease. Only bummer is the price of battery's. I put my charger on my side x side with a 300 watt inverter to keep it charged while I,m out cutting. Also a a Lowes 12" colbalt for around the house works well for a little trim saw.

SonnyDay

WKR
Also have the EGO with 18” bar… that thing destroys it! Keep the chain sharp and there is nothing it can’t handle. I sold all my gas saws…. No point in owning them anymore.

JoeDirt

WKR
If you really give a shit....the video linked for the Project Farm guy is a very thorough Head to Head test. I think the Echo won???
I bought an Echo and spare battery because of this review!

I truck camp a lot and not having gas or bar oil leaking everywhere smelling things up is awesome. I use cheap cooking oil as bar oil. Its a little thin but it works.

ColeyG

WKR
I have a few Stihl gas saws and love them. Year before last I was in the market for a light top handle saw for in-tree work, limbing, etc. and went with the battery operated MS 161T. It is an amazing little machine. In hindsight I would have gone for a smaller/lighter battery. I went with the AP300 which is waaaaay more capacity than I need. I've limbed and topped a handful of full sized cottonwoods and have never used more than 25% of the battery having made hundreds of cuts.

The single handed operation and not having to pull start the machine between cuts or adjustments in the tree is super convenient, safer, and more efficient. I think electric is definitely the way to go for certain applications, not everything that is for sure. For camp firewood and/or camping and hunting applications I think they are perfect. The lack of engine noise seems pretty advantageous for a number of applications as well.

The battery saws definitely take some getting used to. I have to remind myself not to toggle the trigger while I am walking around with it in my hand like I had gotten used to doing with my gas saws. A bad habit I didn't even realize I'd formed that doesn't carry over well to the battery saws...

The only thing I would change on the 161 is third button they added, as compared to gas saws, that you have to press with your thumb to make it go. It is hard to actuate using your left hand and I find myself wanted to switch cutting hands quite often in the tree. I plan to try and either remove this button or permanently tape it down so the actuation is the same as the gas saws.

I have 1/2 doz of stihls battery stuff for work and if I had to do it all over again I would've bought Husky or Milwaukee. The chain tensioner assembly is very poor design and comes apart mid cut if a small set screw (which they don't loctite in) comes out. The battery life on the ap300s batteries is not good at all (the new 500's might be better but the 3 i ordered have been back ordered for months) for what they cost. One 8" diameter hardwood can kill a full battery. When I'm doing tree work, I'll burn through 3-4 batteries in 8 hours depending on the tree. This spring I was contemplating more and went with T201's because their behind the others with their battery stuff.

I'm normally a husqvarna guy (after about 50 saws the last 20 years they have just been better on avg) but because the bulk of my pool is stihl, i bought into it thinking it would be as good or eventually be better. However stihl seems very committed to marketing and building stuff for occasional homeowner use, meanwhile husq and now milwaukee seem to be building equipment for professionals.

Most of the counterpart tree service guys I know that have gone battery have went husky, even the stihl guys. They're better built period... The new milwaukee tophandle sounds like it's the real deal and can use batteries from other mil tools.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 60 volt Dewalt saw. It is phenomenal for my use. Cut camp wood, clear trees, trim what i need, build duck blinds. Ive used it for 3 years now and am continually impressed by it. I buy new chains off amazon for like $10.
A couple years ago during spring bear a large storm rolled in and we had to clear 6 trees getting back to camp. Not huge trees but bigger than could be moved without a saw. Was very happy I had it on that trip.
I run a ton of dewalt tools so have a plethora of batteries. I would buy the saw again even without the additional batteries from my other tools.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Have the small Stihl and love it. I keep it in the truck during hunting season, doesn’t leak gas every where. Also, doesn’t leave you smelling like gas/exhaust after using. Perfect for clearing roads/trails, battery last a surprisingly long time, and will zip through surprisingly large stuff.

jth7186

FNG
I’m invested in the Milwaukee m18 system, and have stihl electric hedge trimmers and pole saw. For practical purposes I have to pick between those two. I have to think the stihl gets the nod here but the Milwaukee batteries are way smaller.

I have the ego with a 14 inch bar. If I heated with wood, I’d have a nice big Stihl gas saw, but I just use it for occasional pruning chores and it’s great for camp. Oh, I also use it for demolition when I’m working on decks. If you go this route, I would suggest the bigger battery, and get two of them one to be working, one for the charger.

I work for a large utility as a lineman. We use chainsaws often and over the last 5 years, we have pretty much gotten rid of gas powered chainsaws. Most of us use the Milwaukee and it works great for chopping up poles. On some crews we put longer 20" bars on to cut thru some of our larger poles. Seems to get the job done. They tend to leak bar oil, but overall the kick ass for small to medium jobs.

I work for a large utility as a lineman. We use chainsaws often and over the last 5 years, we have pretty much gotten rid of gas powered chainsaws. Most of us use the Milwaukee and it works great for chopping up poles. On some crews we put longer 20" bars on to cut thru some of our larger poles. Seems to get the job done. They tend to leak bar oil, but overall the kick ass for small to medium jobs.
Why are you guys cutting up your poles ? The only time we do is when we retire some old cedars and some of our guys cut them up in the pole yard for campfire wood.

CREillY

Lil-Rokslider
I have the XR Dewalt Chainsaw and it's awesome for quick jobs. I also have the pole saw, works excellent for clearing limbs around stands! Love that thing.

I have the 20 bolt Dewalt and it works well for what it is but it leaks a ton of oil. I wouldn't buy it again due to the oil leak.