basement ceiling paint it or sheet rock

RyanT26

WKR
Yesterday, the waterline in my refrigerator decided to have a catastrophic failure at the filter. This resulted in water pouring out of the front of my refrigerator, like a goddamn waterfall. The result of this I’ve had to pull about a quarter of my basement ceiling and we are currently in the drying out phase. Luckily they don’t think I’m going to have to pull the kitchen floor, carpet downstairs, or sheet rock off the walls.

I’m trying to decide if I want to cover it back up with sheet rock or pull the rest of the living room area down and paint it black with dryfall or some other product. I have TJI floor joists anybody who’s tackled the project like this have any trouble with painting over those or any other recommendations.

I have about 126 ft.² down currently. I would have to pull 455 ft.²

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I saw an idea awhile back that I think I'm going to incorporate when I refinish my basement. They ripped down 2x3s, nailed them to the joists overhanging each side and cut drywall to fit in. Still allows easy access but imo looks much better than a typical drop ceiling.

OP
RyanT26

RyanT26

WKR
Do you think there’s any difference in noise level up stairs? I have a son that likes to play Fortnite yell at his friends over the headset.

I’ve contemplated the same thing with my basement. Paint it or go with a drop away ceiling. I’m really leaning towards a drop away but I’m a long long ways away from finishing it. 🤣

wyoguy

Lil-Rokslider
I finished a couple basement rooms that didn't have plumbing running through the joists. I'm planning on painting the ceiling or doing drop down in the other areas.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I have hard wood on the main level and 4 and 5 year old . It’s not crazy loud but I hear them running around. Doubt I’d hear tv stuff down there though. Just ground contact is what I hear.

CorbLand

WKR
I knew my wife had a account on here😂

She wants to put Sheetrock back up….we are at a standoff currently
Peace. Always side with peace.

Spend the money and rent a hoist if your doing it yourself. Much easier.

KsRancher

WKR
Peace. Always side with peace.

Spend the money and rent a hoist if your doing it yourself. Much easier.
I am more of a hard ass. If my wife wants it up. I would gladly put it up. But she would be holding one end up on a ladder while I got a homeade 2x4 "T" put on the other end and screws put in. That may be why she calls me "Richard"

CorbLand

WKR
I am more of a hard ass. If my wife wants it up. I would gladly put it up. But she would be holding one end up on a ladder while I got a homeade 2x4 "T" put on the other end and screws put in. That may be why she calls me "Richard"
I am too old to sleep on couches anymore.