Base pack weights???

One of the problems/challenges I see with the threads we see everywhere about "How much should my pack weigh?" is that one is for a weekend trip and other is for a 14 day hunt in the mountains. I am a big believer that the only thing that changes in your packing list is A) how much food and fuel you need based on the length of the trip, and B) what extra clothing or other gear you take for colder weather. Specific hunting equipment, like spotting scope or tripod should also not go into your pack base weight as many folks refer to what goes in your pack minus food and water.

So, given that criteria, what does your pack normally weigh with your backpacking gear? Feel free to list what your hunting gear weighs separately. I think that this will be helpful information for the folks who are just getting started with backpacking either for hunting or just getting out there in God's Country.

i like the idea, i tried a similar thread last year. it didnt go well..
dont you think someone who packs a 50mm did it for weight instead of an 80mm though as well and slik mini vs a full size 634 tripod?

OP
L
ftf,

The point I was trying to get across was that you saying your pack weighs 75# for a 10 day hunt and me that mine is 50# for a 3 day hunt doesn't help the new folks much. If we said that our base pack weight was 30#, our hunting gear was 10#, optics was another 10#, and food and water was 17# then they have some good information to help them see if they are carrying too much clothing or taking too much food or need to get a lighter sleeping bag and pad.

I guess what I wanted to say was that all of these threads need to break it out by separate weights and say how many days and where the hunt is.

end of rant... :rolleyes:

colonel00

WKR
I like the idea. I would even suggest taking it a hair further. As you say, your base back weight is really only made up of a few things that are fairly constant, right? You have your sleep system, cooking system, clothing set (this does vary but should be fairly constant based on similar hunt locations, terrains and time of year), First aid/possibles, etc. I would suggest starting a thread or something where people can list out all of their gear. Then, put a link in your signature that links that info so people can always see what you are rolling with. Or, just list it directly in your signature in a neat fashion. You see this on other forums where people list their guns or BBQ toys or computer specs.

Manosteel

WKR
Good idea, will post my base wieght - what always goes with me no matter length of hunt and then list what my ther stuff wieghts, like spotter, tripod; weapon etc.. later today or tommrow.

I think this is a great idea. I personally like the "gear grams" site for breaking things down, making it much easier to share weights for the various categories of gear required for a mountain hunt.

Lawnboi

WKR
Only things that stay the same for me:

Underwear
Socks
baselayers
Water bladder/bottle
Emergency kit
GPS
Headlamps
My favorite spoon

That's about where the list ends. I could never come up with a base weight, stuff changes so much as the length of trip, weather, season, and activity change.
I think its just nice to see what other people carry for specific times, rather than just a generalized list. In every gear list thread someone puts up at the very least they should add, time, place, length of stay

Buster

WKR
Never really thought about it, but I guess my favorite spoon is the one I don't forget to pack. I like the idea of this thread, I've got my "baseline" gear, then add on specifics for the hunt I'm going on. I'll have to start adding sub-total weights in to the gear list.

boom

WKR
i did a 9 day fishing trip with a 32 lb pack.

so no hunting gear. that is a pretty good base for me. but i did win the paper/scissor/rock contest with my brother. he packed the water filter and tent. i carried just the tent poles and the ground cloth. hah.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just post my lists in spreadsheet form so everyone can see what I'm taking.

My "base" pack weight would be under 20 lbs for sure. My pack for this weekend's bear hunt was just under 35 lbs.

My pack almost always weighs about the same.......50-55lbs. I always bring the same essential gear. with longer trips I'll pack more light food and shed any extra luxuries, but I add more socks and underwear. Short trips I'll bring heavier luxury foods, whiskey, ect. I'm not an oz counter, I would rather carry a little more weight and be a little more comfortable hunting/eating/sleeping.

Manosteel

WKR
Everything is in ounces unless stated otherwise in brackets. I have given my baseline pack wieght which is always the same when ever I go out hunting for more than one night. The other wieghts are optional items or changing items like food that are time dependent. The last wieghts are what I walk in with on my body.

Pack:
Kifaru - Bikini/Timberline 1 = 92
Grab-it = 4
Hip belt pockets (1 - 1.7oz each - kifaru 1.4)= 3.1
Sub-total weight 99.1

Tent and Shelter:
Oware Bivysack Drawcord Closure = 6.7
Mountain Shelter LT w spikes/lines/bag = 35
Sub-total weight 41.7

Sleeping:
MEC Merlin DF -0c sleeping bag (with its sack) = 28.4
Klymit Inertia X-Frame sleeping pad = 10
Sub-total weight 38.4

Cooking:
JetBoil Stove = 14.4
1 small (100g) Jetboil fuel canister = 7.1
Spork = 0.4
Sub-total weight 21.9

Water:
1- 500 ml Gatorade bottle= 1.6
1- 4 liter MSR Dromlight Bag water blader/hose = 6.3
Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter = 2
1 - 2 liter Platypus Reservoir 2
Sub-total weight 11.9

Safety Gear:
Emergancy & First Aid Bag [ pullout: whistle/compass/matches; Headlamp w 3 AAA; ducktape; Wire saw: cotton firstr ; space blket,zip ties, 2 bic lighter, water-purf pills; pinkilrs,antibiotic ointment, alcohol wipes, cotten bandage, moleskin ] 17.3
Headlamp w/1 AA batteries - Zebralight 502 2.6
Delorme Inreach Device w/ lithium batteries 8.2
Sub-total weight 28.1

Trophy Care:
Kill Kit
• Custom Medium PullOut = 0.5
• Havalon Piranta-Edge knife = 1.5
6 Piranta-Edge replacement blades = 0.6
• 6 T.A.G. BOMB Game Bags = 9.3
• Silnylon Meat Baggie = 1.7
• Roll of marking ribbon = 1.4
• 26ft section of orange mil spec 550 cord = 2.3
• 26ft section of green mil spec 550 cord = 2.2
• 3 sets of latex gloves = 1
Sub-total weight 20.5

Hygiene Kit:
Custom Small pullout 0.3
Lip Balm 0.4
Travel Tooth Brush & Tooth Paste 1.2
Contact case & solution 2
Extra contacts w/case 0.4
Glasses/soft case 1
Dehydrated sea to sumit Soap sheets 0.4
scent-free deorderant(small) 1.2
Sub-total weight 6.9

Rain Gear:
APUC level Gore-tex Ultralight Rain Jacket 17.8
Light Weight Gore-Tex Gaitors 10.5
Sub-total weight 28.3

Misc Items:
Olympus TG-820 Camera/case/cord 10.3
Iphone 6
Bruton Resync Battery 9.5
Primus micronlatern 4.1
Leatherman 5.3
mini sharpner 0.6
Internal Knee pads 1
Tobbaco 1
1 Industrial Size Black Garbage Bags. 1.2
Silnylon pack rain cover/tarp 5
Windchecker 0.8
Extra batteries 3AA 2
Lens cloth 0.2
pack towel 2.5
1 roll tp 1.3
Scent Away Field Wipes (20) 3.5
shoes camp –crocks 8.2
Treking poles 20.7
Sub-total weight 83.2

Optics:
ZEN-RAY ED3 10×43 Binoculars w ultralight straps 29.3
Lepould RX1000 TBR Rangefinder 7
Sub-total weight 36.3

BASE PACK WEIGHT 416.3 oz (26 lbs 3 oz)

The above never changes if I go out hunting for more than one night. This is my true base line.

I will be changing my sleep system since I hate the tight mummy bags and the kilymit pad won't work with the quilt option I am thinking of going with. I am a hot sleeper and move alot at night. I will be looking at upgrading my Bino's to some High end glass in the 8x32 range; looking to go sub 20 oz here. I will be cutting my T1 bag since after hauling out 3 animals already this year I find it works better without the sleeping bag divider and I have good idea on how much straps I need; although I am keeping the snow collar.

Clothing - Optional:
1 Darn tough Med wt Trekking Socks 3
1 merino wool liner socks 1.4
Hiking Underwear (Jocks – 1 pair) 3.1
APX L1 SCENT-STP LITE BASE LAYER TOP (Lg) 7.6
APX L1 SCENT-STP LITE BASE LAYER BtM (M) 6.6
Russell APX L1 Wool base layer Top (Lg) 7.3
Kryptek Katos Primoaloft jacket 18.8
Gloves – (1 pair) 1.9
bennie 1.9
Neck Gator Fleece 1.1
Sub-total weight 52.7

BASE PACK WEIGHT + CLOTHES(4-7 DAYS) 469 oz (29 lbs 5 oz)

This clothers system when added to what I walk in to the bush with is good for upto 7 days easy up until mid-September at which point I add my Katos vest. End of September or early October I add my Under Armour MN Ayton II Fleece jacket.

Optics – Optional:
Vortex Summit SS Tripod 28
Nikon XLII Spotting scope 26.4
Bino adapter for tripod 3.8
Sub-total weight 58.2

Food:
1.2 to 1.5 lbs per day.

Clothes on body:
1 Darn tough Med wt Trekking Socks 3
Hiking Underwear (Jocks – 1 pair) 3.1
Kryptek Alaios Pants 20
Kyptek Valhalla Minimalist Shirt 245 1/4-ZIP 13.3
kryptek Ball cap 3.3
Sub-total weight 42.7
Boots:
Cabel’s Meindl Alaskan Hunter 65.4

Last edited:

Manosteel

WKR
Come on guys, I can't be the only type A personality -and boarder line obsessive compulsive about my gear and listing everything out. Lets see some lists!

colonel00

WKR
Heh, you aren't. Sadly, I am in the process of upgrading and replacing stuff as I gear up for next year so I don't really have things to accurately list. However, I would be right there with you.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have a list, but it has EVERYTHING for every tent, sleeping bag, stove, pack, rifle, and more that I have that I just click "YES" next to on the spread sheet and tallies that item to the total weight. My trips vary so much its hard to really say what is a base weight cause the gear changes between each trip so much. Been as light as sub 40 pounds for an 8 day trip counting my rifle weight and food, to as heavy as 90+ pounds for a 3 day endeavor.....just soooo many variables. :D

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a link to my 4 season gear list. This gets much lighter during the warmer months, or if I am not hunting.

This setup has taken me down to -30F comfortably.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11306

Baseweight without counting the clothing I am actively wearing while moving is: 35.28lbs
Baseweight without hunting gear is: 32.76lbs
Baseweight without hunting gear or traction aids is: 26.58lbs

My baseweight INCLUDES fuel, but does not include any food or water. I use a wood stove, and always carry a 6oz bottle of alcohol as backup regardless of the length of the trip.

My baseweight for a 3 season trip is under 20lbs. Its the extra clothing and thicker quilts that add on the extra weight for the colder months.

FULLY loaded with food and water for a winter hunt , for 7 days of food and 2 liters of water, weight is: 51.93lbs

Last edited:

Snyd

WKR
This is all so relative. Get the best gear you can afford and pack what you are willing and want to pack. You,ll find out quick what you don,t need! I think most guys pack too many clothes and worry too much about the "what ifs"

Some guys won't pack the tent I do and others will. My two man mountain tent is an 8.5 lb hilleberg expedition grade tent. A little over 4lbs per guy. But, I want the double wall, thick fabric, 4 pole bunker with 2 vestibules. No single wall tipi for me on a remote hunt. Other guys cringe at it. Each to s own. I pack a 7lb 325wsm rifle. My sheep hunting partner packs an old pre 64 win mod 7 270 he's had since he was a kid. Probably weighs atleast 10lbs with the leather sling.

Having said that, for a 2 man, remote sheep hunt, figuring shared weight of spotter/tripod, tent, stove, fuel, range finder, water filter. My spreadsheet say 39.7lbs. That's with no food or water and does not include my boots on my feet, trekking poles in my hands or my hiking clothes on my person. I figure that's part of my weight. It does include everything in my pack and rifle/ammo. I have weighted everything and like Luke, have it setup calculate what I bring.

I can wear all my clothing if I need too. The only "extra" clothes I bring for an 8-12day remote hunt are 2pirs of socks and one pair of skivvies.

I,m usually always going in with 60-65 lbs depending on exact food and water and hope fully coming out at twice that!

This is for a walkin hunt or fly in drop off. No PAC-raft or "base camp" setup.