Base Camp Mattress/Cot?

NVSparky

FNG
Hi everyone, what do you all prefer for your truck/basecamp bed?

I'm looking to change up my sleep system this year for truck camping. Lately I've used a Marmot 15 degree down mummy on top of a Neoair Trekker pad, either in the bed of my pickup or in a small tent. I've got mobility problems in my back which makes it really hard to sleep in this style.
I'm thinking of getting a traditional cotton/canvas sleeping bag, but unsure which way to go with the pad. Sleeping/lack of sleep has become my biggest issue while hunting. Only having a 4-6 hour window to sleep is bad enough, but constantly waking up uncomfortable and getting up in the morning in pain certainly doesn't help.

I'm considering a Cabela's XL cot or an air mattress which I could pump up with a 12v pump. I realize the air mattresses do fail and would leave me on the ground. I'd pack a Thermarest as a backup.

What are your thoughts?

tttoadman

WKR
I have a cot and a 2" foam pad for base camping. To cut weight for a fly in, I can cut the cot out. I still slept good on just the 2" foam. It likely helps because our base camp sleeping bags are usually heavier.

Went to the local upholstery supply and had them cut me a 2 inch foam pad. cost me less than $30. They have various firmness foam and thicknesses. Put that on a Cabelas cot.

hiway_99

FNG
On my drop camp this year we packed camp time roll-a-cot and I used a extherm pad on top of it with my ugq quilt. I was the only one out of 3 to sleep warm and comfortable. The other 2 used cheep sleeping pads and mummy bags and froze every night. They offer one of the cots with a sleeve for your pad to go in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think you're on the right track. For years now I've been using a large cot and wide, base camp Thermarest pad along with an extra wide, 0 degree, heavy canvas/flannel lined sleeping bag for all my floats and fly-out base camps. I don't really do any truck camping, but I tend not to skimp on fly-out drop camp hunts and I never skimp on float hunts. Getting a good nights sleep is rarely an issue, and if it is, it's not because of my sleep system.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Good cot plus memory foam equals great sleeping.
I have the cabelas xl.
Mattress is 3 inches thick.
Base camp plus hauling room equals comfort.

R

Akicita

WKR
Lately I've been using a Byer of Maine Trilite cot and my Big Agnes Q-Core SL inflated about half way in my SeekOutside Redcliffe base camp setup.

HmR6VWv.jpg

OP
N

NVSparky

FNG
Good cot plus memory foam equals great sleeping.
I have the cabelas xl.
Mattress is 3 inches thick.
Base camp plus hauling room equals comfort.

R

I've been eyeing the Cabelas XL cot. I'd likely need a new tent though to fit it. What tent to you use it in?
Also, which pad do you use on it?
Thanks

rm06

WKR
My first and last Cabela's cot folded up on me while sitting on it, square tube aluminum leg bent. I have a Davis Tent and Awning cot I use now which I really like, it is comfortable and doesn't require two people to assemble. On top of that I have a 2" Cabela's foam pad and my bag.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider

gwl79902

WKR
I have been using the extra wide and long cots for sometime, the cot is longer and wider than my pad. My brother uses a military cot which is as wide and long as the larger camping pads. His point is that why waste the space in the tent or more importantly in the truck bed with a cot that has unused space as I have been doing. I have to agree with him.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
At 52 and pretty beat up over the years, I like my comfort these days especially when I usually spend 20+ nights out there in September. I have a 40"x84" cot with probably 4-6 layers of different foam including 2" enclosed pads, eggshell foam, and 3" memory foam along with a giant Slumberjack rectangular bag. I sleep better than at home.

OP
N

NVSparky

FNG
I have been using the extra wide and long cots for sometime, the cot is longer and wider than my pad. My brother uses a military cot which is as wide and long as the larger camping pads. His point is that why waste the space in the tent or more importantly in the truck bed with a cot that has unused space as I have been doing. I have to agree with him.

The above mentioned Coleman from WM seems like a good size without taking up too much space (80"x30"), plus it's spring loaded which may be more comfortable.