Sleep system northwoods Wisconsin - avg. low, 20-30

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, just an update, all set on sleeping systems (ended up with an Alps Outdoorz Redwood -10, he has his mummy, we both have the underpads). Now, we'll need to be looking for a tent. The one he has is too tight - it's the Black Diamond First light at 82" x 48", won't accommodate the both of us. So either a 1P that will do the job for me, or probably better, a true 2P for down the road, when we could use one that can hold up to western hunting needs.

I know there are probably countless threads on this, and have been digging, but if anyone has specific thoughts on the idea of a good 1P now v. 2P, and if so, brands/models, much appreciated.

I'd worry as much about how you are heating your tent so you have liquid water.

Winter camping without a heat source sucks!

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd worry as much about how you are heating your tent so you have liquid water.

Winter camping without a heat source sucks!
Thanks - just an FYI, this isn't back country, it will be a (closed for the season) campground in Chequamegon NF, with our car. So provisions, even a coleman stove, etc., aren't a problem. We do have an MSR PR too, though.

I'm not talking for cooking, i'm talking for keeping things above freezing.

Its a lot easier to climb out of the sleeping bag in the dark of morning and put on 50 degree clothes, boots, etc than 0 degree everything and then dick around with melting ice so you have something to drink.

Being warm when wrapped up in your bag is the EASY part. Its everything else when you have sustained temps below freezing that sucks. A buddy heater for mornings/evenings makes a big difference. Just dont kill yourself with CO2

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not talking for cooking, i'm talking for keeping things above freezing.

Its a lot easier to climb out of the sleeping bag in the dark of morning and put on 50 degree clothes, boots, etc than 0 degree everything and then dick around with melting ice so you have something to drink.

Being warm when wrapped up in your bag is the EASY part. Its everything else when you have sustained temps below freezing that sucks. A buddy heater for mornings/evenings makes a big difference. Just dont kill yourself with CO2
Ah, OK, gotcha, thanks. TBH I hadn't thought of that - used to just putting everything on in the tent and suffering with the cold, but you make a good point. Also have to admit I'm a bit paranoid of MO poisoning. Somewhere down the road I'd just like to set up a wall tent, but for now looking for one that will hopefully be doing double duty for our northwoods, and western backcountry hunts.

I should add, I'm 6' 2 and 225, big across shoulders. My son is wider than me across the shoulders though he's got his mom's side fireplug stature at 5' 6".

Edit: Just got out his other tent, it's a Northface Storm Break 2, so between that and the Black Diamond we're probably good to go on this trip. Digging through the site on western options. Thanks again all.

Last edited:
It can get cold! Have a couple decades camping/hunting in that area, there have been multiple years when we'd come back to camp after Thanksgiving and find our whiskey partially frozen.

The other thing to watch is snow load on that tent - that area can get absolutely dumped on around that time of year. One year I had set up a ground blind watching a couple trails on a pipeline and it collapsed on me after an hour or two of snow. That wet lake effect snow can come down in a hurry.

Most of those forest service roads do not get regular winter maintenance. Make sure you've got shovels, chains, etc to get yourself out in the likelihood it snows a bunch. We always had a good laugh watching the guys in our group that had a 2WD F150 trying to make it up the last big hill to camp.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
It can get cold! Have a couple decades camping/hunting in that area, there have been multiple years when we'd come back to camp after Thanksgiving and find our whiskey partially frozen.

The other thing to watch is snow load on that tent - that area can get absolutely dumped on around that time of year. One year I had set up a ground blind watching a couple trails on a pipeline and it collapsed on me after an hour or two of snow. That wet lake effect snow can come down in a hurry.

Most of those forest service roads do not get regular winter maintenance. Make sure you've got shovels, chains, etc to get yourself out in the likelihood it snows a bunch. We always had a good laugh watching the guys in our group that had a 2WD F150 trying to make it up the last big hill to camp.
Thanks Franklin. While we've never had the massive snow dump ourselves up that way (different story in the U.P.!), I know it's completely possible if not probable, so advice taken. Still trying to work out best solution re this wimpy city car.

On the tents and snow loads, thanks here too. Still deciding between going with what we have this year, or looking into a more permanent solution going forward. We'll be car camping this year so not too worried about it if we get hammered (worst case, sleep in the car), but nothing like a cold, painful and sleepless night to take a big bite out of the long hunting day.

So - still considering a good, for-real 2P for big guys that can handle anything from mild northwoods to remote mountain hunts. I've been digging through this forum and learning tons, though the more I learn...the more I realize I don't know anything. So many choices.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I've done northern Minnesota hunts in a wall tent and get the cold. Your sleep system sounds fine. I recommend you gear up for this type of hunt and gear up for western backpacking later. I have gear for both. If you are truck camping in sub freezing weather, I recommend you make yourself comfortable. I can't recommend a wall tent enough with a wood stove. Or use a Mr Heater Buddy in a large tent. You can run a coleman stove + heater + light off a main tank. Heat in the morning and evening is a game changer. You want to have fun right? Save the suck for western backpack hunts in similar weather. I also recommend cots which serve two purposes: comfort and a place to store stuff under. It helps with tent management. Also, for this type of hunting, Water freezing can be an issue. Someone else mentioned it, and I second it. You'll want to figure out a way to keep water from freezing. One idea might be to bring an extra cooler (with no ice) and store water in it. You can use it to go out heavy if you're successful.

If you are going to bring your gear into the tent with you, I would look at a 4 person tent with a stove or heater like you're talking.

I made a tent similar to the Seek Outside Guardian. Fit me, my buddy and our gear. Would be too small for a stove, two people, and gear though. A weeks worth of gear takes up space quickly.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
OK thanks for the additional notes, guys. I'm been wavering between the two ideas and the idea someone said above mirrors what you're saying here, too - this isn't backcountry, so why "rough it" more than needs be, like you're saying....especially with an older beat up bod, you're right, why take the suck until we have to. With this sleeping bag alone, which is comfortable as hell but huge, obviously putting our stakes down anyway.

So - looking at something like a tipi, pyramid or true wall, all with wood burning stove (still paranoid about running propane). Any thoughts on pro's/con's among these setups, or even brands (I know, that's asking for a million opinions, all valid, but all unique as we're all different), much appreciated.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I can't help on tipis. When I used to look at them, I liked Kifaru but that was a while ago. Propane in a well vented tent has worked fine for me. You should only have it on in the mornings and evenings which isn't that long. You'll be cozy in your sleep setup and really shouldn't run it during the night. Otherwise, the wood stove is great. I've run both. A nice setup is enough room for two sleep spots, a cook station where you can set up a couple of chairs, and a wood stove. This setup can serve as a base camp for western hunting that you can spike/backpack out of.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I can't help on tipis. When I used to look at them, I liked Kifaru but that was a while ago. Propane in a well vented tent has worked fine for me. You should only have it on in the mornings and evenings which isn't that long. You'll be cozy in your sleep setup and really shouldn't run it during the night. Otherwise, the wood stove is great. I've run both. A nice setup is enough room for two sleep spots, a cook station where you can set up a couple of chairs, and a wood stove. This setup can serve as a base camp for western hunting that you can spike/backpack out of.
Great info. Thanks.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, one more - cook shacks or stations inside the tent. We have nothing to worry about, where we hunt, but there are black bear and wolves. Just when camping or backpacking I've always followed the precautionary practice of 100ish yards away, 10' up/4' away from a tree trunk on an overhanging branch with any food. I see tons of guys do like to cook in their wall tents. Thoughts on this, and bear?

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
We didn't have a problem in N Minn, but it was November and, at those temps, the bears were denned up and the wolves are not an issue. It's been a while since I've spent time in the Midwest, so the bear problem could be something to consider.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
We didn't have a problem in N Minn, but it was November and, at those temps, the bears were denned up and the wolves are not an issue. It's been a while since I've spent time in the Midwest, so the bear problem could be something to consider.
Yeah, I've never seen a bear up there actually and presumed they were fully in hibernation by then. Prudence probably dictates I separate the cooking anyway. I could always add on a shack later.

Thanks again.

jKsled

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, one more - cook shacks or stations inside the tent. We have nothing to worry about, where we hunt, but there are black bear and wolves. Just when camping or backpacking I've always followed the precautionary practice of 100ish yards away, 10' up/4' away from a tree trunk on an overhanging branch with any food. I see tons of guys do like to cook in their wall tents. Thoughts on this, and bear?
you're overthinking this. Don't worry about where you cook. No need to hang... I think you mentioned you have a vehicle - just keep your cooler in the trunk. Dogs have been running them all summer, not many bold bears here

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
you're overthinking this. Don't worry about where you cook. No need to hang... I think you mentioned you have a vehicle - just keep your cooler in the trunk. Dogs have been running them all summer, not many bold bears here
Sorry, yes, you're right of course. Among other things my mind is already out west, with memories of black bears all over the place close to camp....and summer....and a long time ago, lol. Coffee. Thanks.