Barrett Fieldcraft

CoStick

WKR
They said after they fulfilled the contract they won, reason for suspending production, they will probably make them again but not for that price...they have done all the R&D, AG makes the stocks,I think eventually they make them again but they will probably be in the $2500-$2800 range.
I spoke to them a couple weeks ago trying to get a barrel and they said they are discontinued, not paused I hope you are right though!

That is one thing the fieldcraft has, is the bell at the end that's just part of the barrel to give it 5/8 threads. I've not seen any barrel manufacturers or factory rifle do that.
I believe you can get Bartlein to do a barrel that way but my guess is you'd be in for a long wait.

That doesn't surprise me...I sure it won't be the exact rifle...then they couldn't justify raising the price...marketing and all...lol

Sled

WKR
That is one thing the fieldcraft has, is the bell at the end that's just part of the barrel to give it 5/8 threads. I've not seen any barrel manufacturers or factory rifle do that.

I'm getting one done now at McGowan for a tikka

Sled

WKR
What's the contour called?

I called, talked to Dan and said I wanted similar to the factory T3 with the same flare at the end the Fieldcraft has for a .10 shoulder with 5/8-24 threads. He said no problem but there would be a custom contour charge of $35. The receipt simple says t3 lite modified. I didn't see a contour on his list that matched the measurements I took on my Tikka.

z987k

WKR
While we're at it, do we know if they did the action in house or if it's attainable elsewhere to?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
While we're at it, do we know if they did the action in house or if it's attainable elsewhere to?

To my understanding. In house. And the actions are scaled. IE there isnt a long and short action while there was some overlap im sure the 22-250 action likely wouldnt work for a 6.5 prc due to the 2.955 coal of the prc not fitting in the physical action that was built for a 22-250 at 2.350 even though they are both a short action. This is an example though and it could work.

z987k

WKR
To my understanding. In house. And the actions are scaled. IE there isnt a long and short action while there was some overlap im sure the 22-250 action likely wouldnt work for a 6.5 prc due to the 2.955 coal of the prc not fitting in the physical action that was built for a 22-250 at 2.350 even though they are both a short action. This is an example though and it could work.
I was just thinking that if you could source an action for a reasonable price, we have the barrel and stock available. You might be able to put one together for a good bit less than used ones go for.

Last edited:
OP
C

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
I watched a 6.5 sell for $1800 last week

Currently watching an 18" .308 that's at $2,375 with 12 hours to go. Little over what I think I'm willing to pay

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
The Barrett Fieldcraft seems to a highly regarded rifle. I haven’t been able to get my hands on one in person. The specs look good from what I’ve seen online and the 18” barrel interests me.

My question is are they worth the price the used ones seem to be going for? I’ve been watching some go for $2000+. I understand it’s worth it some people and not to others. What makes this rifle worth the used prices in your opinion? Lack of availability?
It's simply a supply demand issue as far as prices goes. I picked up an early Forbes rifle with jeweled bolt and sold my 6.5cm FC to fund it. I think the Kimber Montana and Tikka Superlight could be just as good for half the price.

CoStick

WKR
It's simply a supply demand issue as far as prices goes. I picked up an early Forbes rifle with jeweled bolt and sold my 6.5cm FC to fund it. I think the Kimber Montana and Tikka Superlight could be just as good for half the price.
Certainly is a supply demand issue, but they are also extremely accurate and forgiving to shoot. I have numerous kimbers as well and like them but they are harder to shoot. FC makes me look like I know what I am doing

Just my opinion, but whereas I see NULA a step up from fieldcraft (as it's a custom rifle), it's not my opinion that the Forbes rifles are. I think it's actually the opposite. I think the fieldcraft is generally superior to a Forbes rifle (I'm not including the Forbes rifles that were sent back to MF and basically brought closer to NULA). All are pretty sweet mountain rifles though.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
It depends on the Forbes. I have an early Model 24B with a jeweled bolt I bought in 2013. It is built well and shoots well. The only difference between it and my NULA are the barrel finish and name on the side of the action. However, the rifles built by Forbes Rifles after Melvin left the company are a crap shoot for quality. The easiest way to distinguish them is whether the bolts are fluted or jeweled. If you find an earlier model, chances are they will equal a FC.

I was able to pick it up sale back in 2013 for $1200. It is by far the best rifle value I have come across.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
The Shaw barrel on my Forbes shoots 1/2" to 5/8" groups consistently, with factory ammo. I assure you, no problem there. 😎

OP
C

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the price of a new NULA?

There is a fieldcraft going for over $3,000 on gunbroker