Barrel questions for new build

For what it’s worth, the smith commented that the AW reamer was primarily created to solve problems by using poor quality brass. Lapua brass still reigns king as far as strength and consistency.

ADG always gets a pass when it comes to clickers but they do seem to be a mainstay when you hear about it. Lapua was later to the PRC game and I haven’t paid as close attention since they have been around. Would be curious about folks’ experience with lapua and if they seem to be more resistant to clickers.

Flyjunky

WKR
I was on the CF train for years, a couple of years ago I did a few reviews with custom steel barreled rifles… zero fuss. Went back to carbons on my dime and bam load developing hell. My eye were really open while doing load dev for UM. Steel is the way @Badseed
Any favorite steel barrels for magnum calibers? In another thread you had a steel barrel with diamond fluting, who did that barrel? The fluting looked deep, what was the contour?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Any favorite steel barrels for magnum calibers? In another thread you had a steel barrel with diamond fluting, who did that barrel? The fluting looked deep, what was the contour?
I’ve used Hart, Benchmark and Mcgowen. All the fluting was done by Kampfeld. I just started using Ace barrels because they are 20 miles from my house. If they make centerfire barrels half as well as they make 22LR barrel they will be a winner.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting take, calling AW sloppy.

When i was choosing between 300 PRC and WM Travis at TS just had the SAAMI reamer and didn't seem aware of any clicker issues. Not too long after there was a rokslide build for an action review in 6.5 prc chambered by them where @Travis Bertrand indicated they were using a reamer with more clearance. No idea if they got that reamer due to experience with function or based on demand.
Travis was aware of clicker issues and designed a reamer to fix it. He uses a special PRC reamer for all of his builds according to him.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have Proof CF wrapped and SS barrels, and my most recent rebarrel is another CF wrapped proof. Like most things on the internet though, most (not all) people that claim they are bad have little to zero experience. I was told by.....I once stood near...I read on the internet....

To me, the primary purpose of a CF wrapped barrel is to stay relatively long, relatively lightweight, and retain adequate O.D. to properly thread for a suppressor. If you're not using a suppressor, I'd probably just go with a steel #5 (bartlein 3b). I'm not worried about CF wrapped barrels, and if you just want to spend money on looks or feel, that's reason enough I guess, but there's not a real purpose for you IMO.

For barrel manufacturer, I have benchmark, proof, & bartlein, and I've had a good experience with all of them. I'd probably default to what your smith wants to use and also has on-hand. If your smith doesn't stock barrels I'd either find a new smith or pick a barrel that would ship today.

As far as length is concerned, I have 24" and 22" in both steel and carbon fiber wrapped builds. It depends on the overall build components and barrel contour to get a rifle to adequately balance. Both can work fine. Personally, for a 6.5 PRC, I'd go 18" with a 140 (ish) class bullet.

I’m “breaking in”/ sighting in a brand new Proof cf wrapped barrel as I type this. Here’s the last (3) 5-shot groups from this morning:

Factory 143 ELDX
View attachment 528112

Adjusted 0.1mil right, then shot this
View attachment 528113

Trying out some Berger factory 140’s. Sitting from a tripod
View attachment 528114

So 5/8 MOA or better so far for 5-shot groups, which is also my general experience with SS barrels using factory ammo.
How many carbons have you chambered up? And of those how many weren't up to your accuracy standard?

Lawnboi

WKR
One other CF barrel name that is worth a discussion is Hells Canyon Armory. I have read multiple reviews about the quality and consistency of his barrels. Apparently he starts with a benchmark core and layers his own carbon. It sounds like he has barrel weights similar to Proof. Has anyone tried a HCA carbon barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iv got one sitting in my gun room that is junk. The first one was as well; that one got replaced, but ended up costing more than I should have spent.

The only $1200 tomato stake I have currently, it’s not even usable.

Travis was aware of clicker issues and designed a reamer to fix it. He uses a special PRC reamer for all of his builds according to him.
I think I inquired about his PRC reamer a year or so before you got that 6.5 chambered so I was just relaying a case where at least one more bigger name seemed to change what they were using to address it.

Unckebob

WKR
If weight is important, a thin steel will be lighter. That said, I did a build using a 20" proof and it is a laser and gets 3000fps with 140vld. If you are set on carbon in those lengths, I'd do proof 22".

This. ^^^^

Wrench

WKR
I’ve used Hart, Benchmark and Mcgowen. All the fluting was done by Kampfeld. I just started using Ace barrels because they are 20 miles from my house. If they make centerfire barrels half as well as they make 22LR barrel they will be a winner.
Can you share experience with Ace? I'm not far from you and always looking for tube makers. I 100% agree on steel is the way. I've had one dud steel tube which was one of the ones winning in all fronts....but every carbon I've spun is a picky sob in comparison to steel.

Wrench

WKR
I can add Bartlein, brux, broughton, lilja, shilen and even green mountain to the list above on barrels I'd buy again based on performance.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I think I inquired about his PRC reamer a year or so before you got that 6.5 chambered so I was just relaying a case where at least one more bigger name seemed to change what they were using to address it.

I talked with Travis also and has the larger reamer option. A few other big names do also including Alamo and SPR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk